Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:46 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Well, I was never told they were too high ... it was always said as a passing comment by each doctor like "Your bloodwork looks completely okay, liver enzymes slightly elevated, but your bloodwork shows that nothing is wrong (speaking of the other things that I was actually there for). None of the doctors ever commented on it any more than that.

I am just concerned because 3 doctors have told me this. I'll take all of you guys advice though. I'll make an appointment after new years, and see if they elevated ... and if so ... then I'll try the not drinking thing (or do whatever the doctor recommends).
Guess what? Not normal means too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,778,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Guess what? Not normal means too high.
True, (and keep in mind I do not know much about this subject), but if the enzymes were at a level of concern ... wouldn't at least one of the doctors tell me (or mention that) I need to have my liver checked out or something to that effect?

Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,492,235 times
Fatty Liver Disease is very common. Just google it for more info.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:43 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,530 times
have the same problem----i have to watch my tylenol intake,fat intake,and have NOT touched alcohol,liver disease if it becomes chronic,is painful and terminal if one cannot get or have a successful transplant(and smoking can exacerbate it)even second hand as in my case!

Old 12-09-2009, 11:34 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,162,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
have the same problem----i have to watch my tylenol intake,fat intake,and have NOT touched alcohol,liver disease if it becomes chronic,is painful and terminal if one cannot get or have a successful transplant(and smoking can exacerbate it)even second hand as in my case!
not for one second do I believe that. Can you provide a medical article,link to proof of that?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:37 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,162,566 times
Quote:
True, (and keep in mind I do not know much about this subject), but if the enzymes were at a level of concern ... wouldn't at least one of the doctors tell me (or mention that) I need to have my liver checked out or something to that effect?
goodness gracious NO! You can't rely on doctors to do anything. We must all be vigilant in our medical concerns. And never feel like you can't talk to them or feel insecure about talking to them or being very direct with them.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:44 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,402 times
Quote:
No, probably not. This may not go over well here, but I would be careful regarding talking with your Dr. about how much you drink as your Dr. can write this in your chart and then years down the road when you apply for that private insurance they will ask the question...has anyone ever told you to cut down your drinking? Bingo - you are pegged as an insurance risk right there.

Better to stop drinking completely and then have your enzymes checked. If they are normal following a decent amount of time not drinking you'll know you can't drink.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:32 PM

I am thinking I should drink for a week and get tested, and then not drink and get tested. I have no clue whether I was drinking or not before the blood tests this summer. Sometimes I will go weeks without drinking at all and sometimes I will drink 3-4 times a week for a few weeks straight. I do binge drink ocassionally.

Ok - so here is a fun question.

Just thought about this. The ER doctors did CBC's. How can they tell your liver enzymes are high from a CBC? I have never actually had a liver function test done before (to my knowledge). I have one of the CBC reports here in front of me (from the 2nd ER visit) and everything looks prettymuch normal. Monocytes are like a point high (whatever that means), but that is it.

I know this is all stuff I should be asking my doc (and will at the appoinment), but it's fun to discuss .

Old 12-10-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
No, probably not. This may not go over well here, but I would be careful regarding talking with your Dr. about how much you drink as your Dr. can write this in your chart and then years down the road when you apply for that private insurance they will ask the question...has anyone ever told you to cut down your drinking? Bingo - you are pegged as an insurance risk right there.
Oh well, too late for that. I usually tell my doctors that I drink 3-4 times a week (moderately, as in 1 or 2 or at the most 3 drinks). None of my doctors have ever told me to cut it down, fwiw. Probably because I am young (well 29), fairly healthy, and look athletic ... I don't know.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Well, let's confuse the situation even more.

Nurse just called from my current doctor and said that as of my last blood test done in their office (in June of this year), my enzymes were completely normal (said they were 35 and 34, respectively).

Said that the ER readings could be an anomoly due to alchohol consumtion or tyonal or something in the general time-frame of the blood test ... but that if I am concerned I can always have another test done - but not to drink alchohol in the same general time-frame as the test because alcohol automatically raises your enzymes.

So if there is no point in testing after drinking - as your enzymes will be raised anyway (and that is bad) ... then is the point to testing after no alchohol just to make sure your enzymes are not up in general?

And if that is the case (that your enzymes are normal without drinking but raised when drinking), why is it generally considered not a health risk to drink in moderation (less than 2 shots/glass of wine/two beers, etc.) assuming that any raised enzymes are a health threat?

Bizzaro-world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness