U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 09:19 PM

2,663 posts, read 5,883,649 times

Advertisements

I feel embarrased to set up a doctor's apointment just to ask this, but I think I might.

This past summer I was suffering from acute anxiety/bouts of pvc's (which I have never had before this summer) and it turned out to be caffiene of all things (don't know why it just started to affect me like this after 29 years). Anyhow, I completely quit caffiene and both anxiety and pvc's have completely gone away - and have stayed away since doing so 2-3 months ago.

However, the anxiety/PVC's caused me to go to the ER twice this past summer ... which I now regret in both sense of pride and money. But to this subject, each time they took my blood (this was two different doctors at two different ER's), it always can back normal except for "slightly elevated liver enzymes". Now that I think about it, this was also said by a doctor back in another city I used to live in after some routine bloodwork.

Should that bother me (the fact that 3 different blood tests show slightly elevated liver enzymes)? It's a given I drink a moderate amount of alcohol ... but none of the Dr's ever seemed to express any concern - but I never told them that multiple blood tests have shown this.

Should I set up an appointment with my doctor to ask if this should concern me? I know I will probably get looked at like I am crazy .

I feel completely healthy, but would like to know if I have any liver damage (as I currently drink some amount of liquor 3-4 nights a week).
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:42 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,959,107 times
Elevated liver enzymes - MayoClinic.com

Old 12-08-2009, 10:14 PM

Information about Liver Blood Tests (enzymes) - produced by medical doctors

What medications cause abnormal aminotransferase levels?

A host of medications can cause abnormal liver enzymes levels.

Examples include:

Pain relief medications such as:

aspirin,

acetaminophen (Tylenol),

ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin),

naproxen (Naprosyn, Naprelan, Anaprox, Aleve),

diclofenac (Voltaren, Cataflam, Voltaren-XR)), and

phenylbutazone (Butazolidine)
Anti-seizure medications such as:

phenytoin (Dilantin),

valproic acid (Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakene, Depacon),

carbamazepine (Tegretol, Tegretol XR, Equertro), and

phenobarbital
Antibiotics such as:

tetracyclines, [for example, tetracycline (Achromycin)]

sulfonamides,

isoniazid (INH) (Nydrazid, Laniazid)

sulfamethoxazole (Gantanol),

trimethoprim (Trimpex; Proloprim, Primsol)

nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin; Furadantin; Macrobid),

fluconazole (Diflucan ) and some other anti-fungals, etc.
Cholesterol lowering drugs such as:

the statins:

lovastatin (Mevacor, Altocor),

pravastatin (Pravachol),

atorvastatin (Lipitor),

fluvastatin (Lescol),

rosuvastatin (Crestor),

simvastatin (Zocor), and

niacin
Cardiovascular drugs such as:

amiodarone (Cordarone),

hydralazine (Apresoline)

quinidine (Quinaglute, Quinidex), etc.
Other drugs

Anti-depressant drugs of the tricyclic type

With drug-induced liver enzyme abnormalities, the enzymes usually normalize weeks to months after stopping the medications.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Ask for the actually numerical value of your tests and then look into that. Even dieting can do that but it is a good think to just keep in mind if you are on any med, drink or use pain killers. If you really cared about your liver you should not drink at all. I am not giving you a lectures but its just avoid the obvious things if your feelings make you uncomfortable with that possible damage danger.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:36 AM

16,836 posts, read 51,286,023 times
Moderate? Define moderate. Two or three ounces of alcohol is moderate. In general, more than three drinks gets into excessive territory. If your liver is telling you things, even that may be too much.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM

anyone with concerns about their liver will Never touch a drop of alcohol. Is the buzz worth it?
I say no.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:53 PM

That's the thing - I don't know if I should be concerned with my liver or not.

From the research I have done, it seems slightly elevated liver enzymes could be "not a good sign" or not be anything worth worrying about at all.

Guess I should just suck it up, ask my doc, and risk looking like a hypochondriac (after being in numerous times for issues this past summer as mentioned above) lol.

I just want to know if it is okay for me to be drinking or not. If my liver is fine, I will continue to drink moderately. If not, I'll quit.

... and please don't give me the "you should quit either way" line .

Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Well its inflammed enough to register so if you want those numbers to go down you should stop drinking. The only way you can see if thats what it is, is to stop drinking and retest.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:11 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,151,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Well its inflammed enough to register so if you want those numbers to go down you should stop drinking. The only way you can see if thats what it is, is to stop drinking and retest.
Pitt is right. It is true. You need to stop drinking to see if the numbers go down. That is the only way you'll know if it's the drinking.

I was told in my mid 30s my enzymes were too high for someone my age. So, I don't drink hard liquor anymore. If I were told again my enzymes were high again, I would not drink red wine anymore. Then I'd be out of things to drink so I would not drink anymore.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Pitt is right. It is true. You need to stop drinking to see if the numbers go down. That is the only way you'll know if it's the drinking.

I was told in my mid 30s my enzymes were too high for someone my age. So, I don't drink hard liquor anymore. If I were told again my enzymes were high again, I would not drink red wine anymore. Then I'd be out of things to drink so I would not drink anymore.
Well, I was never told they were too high ... it was always said as a passing comment by each doctor like "Your bloodwork looks completely okay, liver enzymes slightly elevated, but your bloodwork shows that nothing is wrong (speaking of the other things that I was actually there for). None of the doctors ever commented on it any more than that.

I am just concerned because 3 doctors have told me this. I'll take all of you guys advice though. I'll make an appointment after new years, and see if they elevated ... and if so ... then I'll try the not drinking thing (or do whatever the doctor recommends).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness