U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:26 AM

13,295 posts, read 12,343,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
My primary point in dissecting the article was to bring up the awareness level of readers, and point out that half-truths are becoming more and more blatant in the media.

Critical thinking skills are becoming more and more required to separate fact from fiction, and I hope to nurture those skills in others. If someone says something to me in conversation that I feel is incorrect or unfounded, I might let it pass or just do a gentle nudge to hopefully steer them towards a broader view, or I may double check to see if my own view is wrong. However, when something is placed into print by a group that purports to be an authority, and that item is a lie, I start to pull out the stops.
Quote:
Canned tomatoes. Had some today. Quite nice. I'm not fat, have no diabetes, no heart disease, and am past (voluntary) reproductive age. The less you eat, the more for me (and at a lower cost).
THIS is an example of 'critical thinking'???

Quote:
Microwave popcorn. "Chemicals, including perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), in the lining of the bag, are part of a class of compounds that may be linked to infertility in humans, according to a recent study from UCLA. In animal testing, the chemicals cause liver, testicular, and pancreatic cancer. Studies show that microwaving causes the chemicals to vaporize—and migrate into your popcorn."

Anything coming from California today that purports to be science is suspect. Let's just stop for a second and think. I mean REALLY THINK PEOPLE. When you microwave popcorn and it gets hot and pops in the bag, what happens??? The pressure of the moisture in the corn expands outward and bursts the pericap. Just HOW can chemicals migrate UPSTREAM of that pressure and into the popcorn??? Do they have little swimming fins like salmon? Are they jet propelled by radioactive nuclei in the bag? Maybe they can magically avoid the laws of physics on a quantum level and suddenly appear in the middle of a popped kernal??? Anything is possible in California "science."
I never eat microwave popcorn so maybe I'm a little fuzzy about how it works but I think it's something like this.

Kernels in the bag. Apply microwaves. Popcorn pops. Remove from bag. Eat.

The popped kernels don't pop out of the bag and directly into your mouth. They stay inside the bag right? So if there is vaporized PFOA inside the bag with the popped popcorn it doesn't seem like any magical avoidance of the laws of physics would be necessary for the PFOA to get into the popcorn. The first kernel to pop sits inside the bag with the vaporized PFOA while the rest of the kernels pop.

I've also seen flavored microwave popcorn so I don't think the kernel is impervious to chemicals.

Quote:
Conventional Apples. Yada yada pesticide. Pesticide outside the apple, fruit on the inside. Can you say "wash?" Apple juice is a major sweetener in many "100% fruit" products. I'd be more concerned about that than an apple I can wash with my own two hands.
Thinking critically about this, I've soaked whole unpeeled apples in various substances in order to 'flavor' the apple. This works. I'm not convinced that apple skins are a 100% effective border against substances entering the apple.

Last edited by filihok; 12-16-2009 at 04:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 AM

16,849 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Congrats on thinking independently. In the original thread, someone else commented on the tomato thing, and I admitted I had given that one short shrift to get to the more egregious errors. I then commented that the experts were commenting on canned tomatoes, which isn't anywhere near as commonly consumed as canned tomato sauce - which points out the shallow thinking of the article.

On the popcorn, the claim was IIRC, that the chemicals were "in" the corn. That puff of steaming humid air would contain most if not all of the aerosolized chemical from the bag. The steam continues to come out of popcorn until it cools.

Apples, my point was a double point - that the bulk of pesticides can be removed by washing. The primary point was that I feel safer doing that than drinking apple juice, which is made by crushing the entire apple and then extracting the juice. In a situation like that, I am dependent on a nameless processor for properly washing the apples and removing diseased ones before making the juice. Agin, this points out the shallow thinking of the author of the article.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 AM

2,945 posts, read 11,936,013 times
We all need to adhere to eating healthy, well balanced meals. That is a given. What I don't adhere to is the extremist version of eating. Canned tomatoes being bad for you? I probably eat canned tomatoes once a month. Is that going to be bad for me? I think not. How often do I eat canned foods - rarely.

True - I am careful how often I eat farm raised fish. I only eat chicken that is hormone free because my joints hurt when I don't. Beef is consumed in moderation.

We rarely go to fast food places. We watch our fat intake (I count fat grams, carbs, calories ... ) - oh how nice it would be not to worry about these things and just eat what you want.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:58 AM

350 posts, read 3,430,203 times
I agreed with most points in the article, and I already haven't been eating most of those foods for years because I had read about these issues before in various articles. However, there are so many more fruits and vegetables that have high pesticide residues that weren't mentioned in the article, and for those I only buy the organic versions. The fruits and veggies with low pesticide residue I buy the regular versions. Just washing fruits and veggies does not guarantee that all pesticides are removed. How long does the average person run an apple under the sink faucet? Probably 10 seconds. Is that really enough time to remove all pesticide residue, without scrubbing? To be safe I peel the item, but even then, some pesticide gets absorbed into the flesh of the item, that washing and peeling won't get to.

Regarding canned tomatoes, I haven't eaten them in years, after reading about this very issue. It makes sense that the acidity of the tomatoes causes the chemicals in the can liner to come out of the liner and into the tomatoes. For that reason I also don't eat canned tomato soup. I try to avoid most canned items but that's hard to do. I eat tomato sauce in glass jars, because that's glass so there is nothing to leach into the food.

Regarding farmed salmon, I don't eat any fish at all except for wild Alaskan salmon, which is very expensive, so I only eat it once every few months. I don't eat salmon or any other fish in restaurants. Fish is just one of those foods that is chock full of mercury and other contaminants. I prefer to get my protein from other sources that aren't as contaminated.

Regarding milk, I only buy organic milk that does not have RGBH in it. You can now find regular brands of milk that don't use RGBH, it says to right on the label. I try to only buy organic dairy products, like butter, cheese, cottage cheese, etc. to avoid as much RGBH as I can.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:48 PM

13,155 posts, read 16,873,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I read that article last week and I had already eliminated everything except the canned tomatoes and the non-organic potatoes. We only eat potatoes maybe once a week, so I can splurge on the organic, but I don't know how to eliminate canned tomatoes!

For those who love microwave popcorn, look in the snack aisle for popcorn in a bag - that's what I've gone to eating.
Do your own canning of tomatoes! Not hard and you can put up enough for the whole winter. You can also can your own spaghetti sauce, marinara, chili sauce, etc.

As for popcorn, what's wrong with popping it yourself in oil, on a pan? Or do air popped if the taste is OK for you. If not, you can always douse it in a bit of butter. (non-toxic butter, of course)

Old 10-18-2010, 03:22 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,889,158 times
"Buy from local farmers." This is one of the ideas that sound great, but lacks feasibility.

How many local farmers would it take to feed a major city like New York? or even a smaller one like Boston? Does everyone have a way to get to a "local" farmer? How big is a "local" farm?

The summers get too hot for a lot of local farmers to produce some crops. The winters last too long for other sections. Certain things simply won't grow in some areas.

People are living much, much longer than they did when everyone grew their own. Some of this increase is due to better medical treatment, but a lot is because we have enough food to go around. It didn't always work that way. I am old enough to remember when there were no fresh vegatables and the home canned stuff had run out. No fresh fruit, only dried. An orange was a special treat in the Christmas stocking.

The list of locally grown produce would be very short in my section of the country.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:40 PM

433 posts, read 971,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
As for popcorn, what's wrong with popping it yourself in oil, on a pan? Or do air popped if the taste is OK for you. If not, you can always douse it in a bit of butter. (non-toxic butter, of course)
I pop mine using equal parts butter and extra virgin coconut oil. I don't add butter after it's popped. I also use organic popcorn. It has a sweetness to it that non-organic doesn't have. I have a friend who swears it tastes like a popcorn ball. I made it one time using non-organic and she noticed the difference. Be sure to use a heavy bottomed pan. My daughters say once you have the good stuff you won't go back.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:38 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Some hack writer on the magazine staff spent an hour one afternoon surfing the web until he found seven sites where an "expert" warned against some common food. He could have just as easily found seven completely different ones. Or a hundred, but that might have taken all day.

Health articles are the most depressing things, to me, not because I'm concerned about my health, but it is depressing to see now readily the sheeple are led to slaughter by glitzy magazine articles that rarely appear anywhere except in doctor's waiting rooms. And then get recirculated in lockstep under Google search keywords.

The glitz itself is enough to gag on. Standards photos of happy healthy models of a politically correct racial mix, purchased already photoshopped blemish-free from photo-stock agencies. And full of buzzwords and high-falutin' sounding credentials of the so-called experts, expressed according to the basic style guide of Journalism 101. Like this one I just clipped at random:

“One of the best things you can do to ensure a healthy sex life is to eat a well balanced diet,” says Beverly Whipple, PhD, RN, professor emeritus at Rutgers University and coauthor of Science of Orgasm and The Orgasm Answer Guide.

Barf. I'm not kidding. I cut and pasted that exactly as it appeared. I wonder if Doctor Whipple is up for a Nobel Prize for that one. Or if her knowledge of orgasms came mostly from her PhD or from her junior year abroad.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-19-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 10-20-2010, 01:10 AM

24,720 posts, read 26,785,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
After seeing "Food, Inc." (great, but disturbing film!) and then reading this article, I'm depressed. I'm already spending so much to feed my family, and we hardly ever eat out or get fast food, anymore. Who can afford to buy organic? It seems that healthy living is only for rich people. Since I can't afford to buy anything but corn-fed beef, I'm about to swear off eating beef altogether (not such a bad idea, probably!). Microwave popcorn is also one of my favorite foods. *sigh*

I don't smoke, and I don't drink to excess. Maybe food is my choice of poison? I know I'm not doing myself any favors by eating my $2.50 Lean Cuisine or Stouffer's meal for lunch every day, but I'm not about to make my lunch every evening for the next day, either.

Good article, with a lot of food for thought (pun intended!).
I just wanted to say buying your own popcorn kernels and popping it yourself is cheaper than microwave popcorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness