U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:36 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,795,438 times

Advertisements

The 7 foods experts won't eat and their reasons

I originally thought about putting this in the Green Living sub-forum, but as we all know, discussions there do nothing more than turn into some stupid Left-wing verses Right-wing debate and this has nothing to do with anyone's politically failed worldview. Share your thoughts on this article, then I'll share some things I know about these subjects and what I find true about the articles observations.

health/the-7-foods-experts-wont-eat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,012,809 times
After seeing "Food, Inc." (great, but disturbing film!) and then reading this article, I'm depressed. I'm already spending so much to feed my family, and we hardly ever eat out or get fast food, anymore. Who can afford to buy organic? It seems that healthy living is only for rich people. Since I can't afford to buy anything but corn-fed beef, I'm about to swear off eating beef altogether (not such a bad idea, probably!). Microwave popcorn is also one of my favorite foods. *sigh*

I don't smoke, and I don't drink to excess. Maybe food is my choice of poison? I know I'm not doing myself any favors by eating my $2.50 Lean Cuisine or Stouffer's meal for lunch every day, but I'm not about to make my lunch every evening for the next day, either.

Good article, with a lot of food for thought (pun intended!).

Old 12-10-2009, 07:54 AM

12,928 posts, read 24,052,828 times
Yep...except for a few small exceptions this food is only for the rich....look at these prices per pound on grass fed beef..I can't afford them:

Cut of beef Finish Price per lb. Recipes

Top Round London Broil Grass-fed $9.99 Get recipe

Eye Round Roast Grass-fed $9.99 Get recipe

Bottom Round Roast Grass-fed $8.99 Get recipe

Sirloin Tip Steak Grass-fed $10.99 Get recipe

Dry-aged Sirloin Steak Grass-fed $18.99 Get recipe

Flank Steak Grass-fed $13.99 Get recipe

Skirt Steak Grass-fed $12.99 Get recipe

Brisket Grass-fed $8.99 Get recipe

Boneless Chuck Eye roast Grass-fed $8.99 Get recipe

Beef for Stew Grass-fed $8.99 Get recipe

Porterhouse Grass-fed $29.99

Bone-in Shell Steak Grass-fed $25.99

NY Strip Steak Grass-fed $25.99

Old 12-10-2009, 12:24 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,111,830 times
Quote:
Buy a conventional potato in a store, and try to get it to sprout. It won't,
I don't know about this one... Every potato I've ever bought does sprout. I know because I don't cook much and potatoes tend to linger in my house.

On the other hand, I had something happening some years ago I'd never seen. I'd forgotten a couple of eggplants in the pantry. Finally I figured the horrible smell coming from the pantry was caused by them. Ever since I remember eggplants were getting dry when left for a long time. Those guys had turned into stinky LIQUID! I'm not sure I want to eat eggplants anymore even though I like them...

Old 12-10-2009, 12:32 PM

4,152 posts, read 9,579,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
After seeing "Food, Inc." (great, but disturbing film!) and then reading this article, I'm depressed. I'm already spending so much to feed my family, and we hardly ever eat out or get fast food, anymore. Who can afford to buy organic? It seems that healthy living is only for rich people. Since I can't afford to buy anything but corn-fed beef, I'm about to swear off eating beef altogether (not such a bad idea, probably!). Microwave popcorn is also one of my favorite foods. *sigh*

I don't smoke, and I don't drink to excess. Maybe food is my choice of poison? I know I'm not doing myself any favors by eating my $2.50 Lean Cuisine or Stouffer's meal for lunch every day, but I'm not about to make my lunch every evening for the next day, either.

Good article, with a lot of food for thought (pun intended!).
Avoid the middle man. Do not buy produce from a grocery store go straight to the farmers:

Search - LocalHarvest

check out the same site for local
CSA's and farms too!

Old 12-10-2009, 12:39 PM

628 posts, read 1,708,346 times
Sometimes you just need to look to more local places for grass fed beef--I was able to buy 1/8 of a cow for something like $350 and that included 25 lbs of hamburger--and something like 5 packages of stew meat, 5 packages of steak and 3 roasts and a few other random things. etc--I think organic/grass fed is way priced up at the grocery store--you can find better opportunities (and less packaging) getting the real deal and purchasing a half beef from a local grass fed producer.

I would tell you my source but I see no one is in Indiana

Old 12-10-2009, 01:18 PM

3,704 posts, read 9,095,596 times
I read that article last week and I had already eliminated everything except the canned tomatoes and the non-organic potatoes. We only eat potatoes maybe once a week, so I can splurge on the organic, but I don't know how to eliminate canned tomatoes!

For those who love microwave popcorn, look in the snack aisle for popcorn in a bag - that's what I've gone to eating.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:35 PM

5,077 posts, read 12,705,610 times
According to "experts" all over the world, if we listen to them we can't breath the air, we can't drink the water and we can't eat anything. Facts are facts, eating truly organic would mean you cultivate your own soil, grow your own produce and all within a controlled environment and I don't personally know anyone with the time, knowledge or money to do that.

We are all dying of something or will die of something so while yes, if you can eat healthy and not do things in excess then great but in all reality, all of this "healthiness" isn't going to make us live to be over 100 yrs old. In this country and especially because we're not in or near a "blue zone" we will live out to be whatever the average ages are for men and women and will enjoy our lives anyway in spite of what "experts" tell us.

The truth is that by NOW if you are an adult, you have already come in contact with millions of carcinogens, poisons, eaten pesticides, drank antibiotics and steroids in cows milk, you can't undo 30, 40 or 50 years of those toxins going into your body. Why start now? If you do anything now, just drink plenty of water, eat healthy, get fresh air, do what farmers do - who by the way, typically live long healthy lives. They are up with the roosters, working hard all day, breathing in fresh air, eating what they have grown etc.... If you want to live healthier now, take a look at those who are already doing but don't buy into the hype the media loves to shove down our throats...

Old 12-10-2009, 01:47 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,729,970 times
Hmmmm, you have to take the article for what it is and make your own decisions and lifestyle modifications. Personally, I do not buy organic potatoes. I buy them by the 5 lb bag and they always sprout in my cubboard. I do buy organic apples, organic grapes, and organic milk. Many people think they are allergic to grapes because their mouth itches after they eat them, but that is caused by the pesticides. Nasty. And organic apples and grapes can be found for little more than the non-organic versions. Watch for sales and stock up. I don't eat microwave popcorn, but I love a steak once a week or so.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:44 PM

4,152 posts, read 9,579,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
According to "experts" all over the world, if we listen to them we can't breath the air, we can't drink the water and we can't eat anything. Facts are facts, eating truly organic would mean you cultivate your own soil, grow your own produce and all within a controlled environment and I don't personally know anyone with the time, knowledge or money to do that.

We are all dying of something or will die of something so while yes, if you can eat healthy and not do things in excess then great but in all reality, all of this "healthiness" isn't going to make us live to be over 100 yrs old. In this country and especially because we're not in or near a "blue zone" we will live out to be whatever the average ages are for men and women and will enjoy our lives anyway in spite of what "experts" tell us.

The truth is that by NOW if you are an adult, you have already come in contact with millions of carcinogens, poisons, eaten pesticides, drank antibiotics and steroids in cows milk, you can't undo 30, 40 or 50 years of those toxins going into your body. Why start now? If you do anything now, just drink plenty of water, eat healthy, get fresh air, do what farmers do - who by the way, typically live long healthy lives. They are up with the roosters, working hard all day, breathing in fresh air, eating what they have grown etc.... If you want to live healthier now, take a look at those who are already doing but don't buy into the hype the media loves to shove down our throats...
Oh, so since we're not newborns we're a lost cause?! Good golly that's a depressing viewpoint.
But the point is also to not buy items that are bad for you and toxic to our environment helps to curb undesireable business practices. Haven't you noticed the explosion of organic farming over the past couple of decades?

Agribusiness will hopefully cater to what the consumers want and not the other way around. We should dictate the market, and we can, buy local, buy fresh, buy organic, get to know your suppliers etc..
Purchasing healthier choices of food items can help to protect future generations and our environment as well.
it's not just about one's own health, at least not in my mind, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness