U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM

594 posts, read 884,898 times

Advertisements

I have always used my contact lenses much longer than I had to wear. For example, I have Acuvue Oasys that I suppose to wear for up to two weeks, I've been wearing them for almost 5 months now.
But I always clean them and use solution. Nothing happens anyway, they just lie to us so we waste money on buying them.
I also had one daily lenses that I wore for 3 months.

Have you/are you doing the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 06:29 PM

12,975 posts, read 2,808,699 times
YES! I NEVER dispose of my contacts until they either rip or become uncomfortable. I figure if they are disinfected each night, there is no real risk. I can't afford to replace as frequently as they recommend. Also, years ago, I wore extended wear contacts until they stopped making them. I never had problems.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,635,790 times
Yes but unfortunately not by choice. I know we're supposed to change them out every couple of weeks but I wear mine for several mos before changing them. I'm still wearing the last of the box from July of last year. But come Feb I'm going in for a exam and will get new ones.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:55 AM

594 posts, read 884,898 times
So I'm not the only one
As long as we disinfect them every night, we could wear them for several months.
Yesterday, I bought my new contacts from online, and wore new ones today. I am suppose to wear them for two weeks, but it will probably be 3 - 4 months

Old 12-11-2009, 08:02 AM

6,221 posts, read 17,959,972 times
No you are not alone. When I wore Acuvue II my doctor told me that I could wear them for 4 weeks as long as I took them out every night. They are cheap so I usually kept to that schedule but not always.

Now I wear Biofinity which are good for a month and can be worn for up to 7 days. They have more oxygen in them than the Acuvue's and my eyes tolerate them much better.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:49 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,852,422 times
I usually wear them til they tear, I have stretched them out for 3 months plus on several occasions. Probably not a good idea, but it is definitely cheaper that way. I do not wear them when I am at home at night and weekends when I am home so it gives my eyes a chance to rest.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:55 AM

350 posts, read 3,394,746 times
I am a contact lens wearer, and my lenses are supposed to be worn for two weeks and then thrown out. I have worn then for a year up to a year and a half. They were comfortable so I didn't toss them. Then I'd realize how long it had been and I'd toss them after a year had gone by. Because I was wearing them so long I didn't need to get a new box of contacts for several years, rather than the one year they should have lasted.

A few months ago I went to an optometrist because my contacts had just expired. He did an eye exam, and could immediately tell that I wear my contacts longer than I should. When I told him just how long, he was truly horrified. He told me I had small blood vessels surrounding my iris, which is evidence of the damage that wearing them so long has done. After he told me that, I took a two month break from wearing lenses at all, and then have only been wearing them for a month and then tossing them. So I now have broken that habit I had been doing for years. I didn't tell him that I would regularly take long naps in those contacts I would wear for over a year (though I would never sleep in them).

I'm going to start writing the date I put in a new pair on my calendar, and toss them a month after that.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:24 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,013,423 times
I wear my monthlies for at least a full season. I disinfect each night; I think they tell you to replace them so often just to make money.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:15 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,584,701 times
I'm so glad to see this thread! I wear Acuvue II colored contacts, and I find that after about 3 months, wearing the contacts start to feel a little less comfortable.

When I wore clear contacts, I could extend a pair to a year.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 11,057 times
I think that it has to do with health of the eyes. You wear them longer, you could get serious eye infection that could lead to blindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness