Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 01:03 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,008,438 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I can talk about this. Probably not but we'll see what happens.

A friend of mine was telling me that her doctor told her as we get older we should try to have a BM at the same time each day. It regulates the digestive system better and promotes longer life. He also told her that she should try to eat at the same times each day and sleep at the same times too if possible.

I guess when we're young or younger, we don't think about BMs. It's usually "I go when I have to go." As we age, I think it gets more of a concern to a lot of folks.

It's the old saying, "you know you're getting old when you start to talk about your bowel habits with friends." *laughs* I'm sure there's not that many who are talking to their friends about it, though.

I guess I'm getting to that point where I'm starting to pay more attention to these "types" of things.

Anyway, I'm sure not many of you will find it appropriate to chime in and tell us about your bathroom habits but is there any merit to going daily and at the same time each day?

Thanks.

--'rocco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 01:52 PM

4,271 posts, read 15,226,110 times
I always thought BMs were just different for everybody, no matter the age. Like I go daily at pretty much the same time if I do my usual routine. My husband on the other hand goes like 3, 4 times a day. I did hear that as you age, if your BM starts becoming erratic, you should see an MD but that's it.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:23 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,262,787 times
If you are having a problem with it I would keep an eye on it. I dont know your age, but truly at any age it can be a problem. One extreme to the other. When my dd was a newborn she would never go, was always in pain, we had to give her enemas all the time etc, this went on til she was at least 5. I still have to ask her if she has gone etc. She is 11 now. She eats plenty of fiber and veggies. I think it is her system, so, I think as she gets older, she will have a problem. Other end of the spectrum. We, at work have had to hospitalize elderly for extreme constipation. They will go for a week w/o having one, not realize it but they have a bowel obstuction. Keep it in check.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:15 PM

292 posts, read 991,563 times
I usually go the same time every day. One benefit of going first thing in morning is I get to shower afterwards. I noticed that if I'm having trouble going I should drink another bottle of water.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 10,621 times
I often wondered about this too. But how do you go about having one at the same time everyday? How can you make yourself go?

Old 05-19-2007, 10:38 PM

For me, if I'm doing the same routine I will go at the same time. Beats me how my body does it. I guess my body just gets used to it!

Old 05-19-2007, 10:45 PM

550 posts, read 2,820,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bowl View Post
I often wondered about this too. But how do you go about having one at the same time everyday? How can you make yourself go?
I take metamucil every night at the same time. Every morning it works around the same time.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:47 PM

Does anybody become constipated or have trouble going when they get off their routine? Like if you're on vacation or something? That ALWAYS happens to me!

Old 05-20-2007, 12:46 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,008,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Does anybody become constipated or have trouble going when they get off their routine? Like if you're on vacation or something? That ALWAYS happens to me!

Me too, always. I think a lot of folks have that problem. Even younger people.

I've heard that women have more of a problem with it than men but I guess it's something rarely discussed in mixed company.

skoe, does metamucil become addictive? Maybe addictive is not the word I'm looking for. Perhaps it would be better asked, do you become dependent on it? ...and if so, is that necessarily bad?

Thanks.

--'rocco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness