U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:20 PM

1,817 posts, read 5,767,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Whenever I'm visiting the Assisted Living facility, there's always a bunch of the staff (mostly women) outside smoking. I'm somewhat appalled that, if anyone out there should know better, it would be these people. I have to wonder why smoking is so prevelant in these environments?
I was a smoker for 23 years, 10 of those years I spent working in Hospitals. I cared for many people with breathing difficulties and knew the risks.

One thing with smokers is often we live in a state of denial meaning that we choose not to consider the dangers and instead feed the addiction. I certainly didn't think about the possibilities of ill health each time I lit up.

As far as health care workers and nursing staff go, it is a tough job. I worked many double shifts and was more often than not understaffed.

Running outside to get a nicotine fix and a quick break was sometimes the only savior to a hard 8 to 16 hours of work. Sure one could have gone out, sucked in some fresh air but I can tell you a cigarette addiction forces you to take notice to get that break so I can say for myself at least, I wasn't in a hurry to quit the one excuse I had to make myself get out and get a break.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:38 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,034,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
It may be a high stress job.

It would be nice if more health-care places placed higher insurance premiums on smokers and overweight employees.
I know the guy over the Cleveland Clinic I believe said he wished he didn't have to hire overweight people. He refuses to hire smokers.
I may go over there and apply for a job. If he refuses to hire me because I smoke, I'll sue him for discrimination.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I still fail to see what difference either makes.
My daughter ( non-smoker and also non-judgemental about those that do) is in the healthcare field. The rule where she works is No Smoking on the grounds. A doctor there goes to an area in the back and smokes. I think that is his business. He knows the pros and cons. Only issue there is he breaks the No Smoking rule and gets away with it but no one else could probably get away with that.
People beware of rights being taken away. Someone else's today---yours tomorrow.

Both major hospitals around here are no smoking campuses too, but I made them both admit that they cannot enforce that rule on public property, ie: Streets and sidewalks.

Don't let the smoke-Nazi's fool you. You CAN smoke anywhere which was built by, or maintained by, public money. It IS still legal!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm a smoker, but i don't feel that the OP isn't looking to troll with the question that they asked. The OP is rightly puzzled that health care workers are smoking, and my point was that most of these facilities staffs are not comprised of "career" medical workers.
"Rightly" puzzled? Why?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:14 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,963,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Both major hospitals around here are no smoking campuses too, but I made them both admit that they cannot enforce that rule on public property, ie: Streets and sidewalks.

Don't let the smoke-Nazi's fool you. You CAN smoke anywhere which was built by, or maintained by, public money. It IS still legal!

Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,246,129 times
Quote:
"Rightly" puzzled? Why?
Because those in the medical profession are expected to have a greater awareness of what they ingest in to their bodies?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:24 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,963,726 times
Quote:
Because those in the medical profession are expected to have a greater awareness of what they ingest in to their bodies?
nah-not really. Everyone is human ( I think,though I do wonder at times ) and everyone can think freely and make choices on their own. Smoking,eating red meats,drinking alcohol,fast foods of any kind,driving fast,no seat belts, the list goes on and on. It's a personal choice and I don't have to die for anyone else based on any choice.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:

So...we shouldn't expect to see them eating ham and cheese sandwiches slathered in mayonnaise too? Or drinking diet sodas? Or sitting down instead of jogging? Or eating genetically altered banana's? Or breathing exhaust fumes from the street outside?

What you expect from them? That they be un-human?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:35 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,246,129 times
Quote:

What you expect from them? That they be un-human?

I don't expect anything from them, other than competent care if i'm being treated by them. I could give Mod cutwhat they do, as long as it doesn't impact their performance if i'm under their care.

Again, i chose to provide an answer to the OP's question, not get defensive and turn this in to a silly debate.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-12-2009 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: language

Old 12-11-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I don't expect anything from them, other than competent care if i'm being treated by them. I could give a s**t less what they do, as long as it doesn't impact their performance if i'm under their care.

Again, i chose to provide an answer to the OP's question, not get defensive and turn this in to a silly debate.

But, you weren't responding to the OP. You were responding to me and you quoted me in your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness