U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
 
303 posts, read 475,052 times
Reputation: 162

Advertisements

Does having a torn/sprained/strained muscle and the associated pain lead to higher blood pressure? I went to my Dr and he has now doubled my blood pressure medication. I am thinking that maybe pain is causing my blood pressure to be higher?

He says this is going to take two months to heal. All over a stupid sprained muscle.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2009, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Reputation: 18538
Yes, but it doesn't matter what is causing your pressure to go up, it needs to come down.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 01:11 PM
 
303 posts, read 475,052 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Yes, but it doesn't matter what is causing your pressure to go up, it needs to come down.
Good way to look at it and thanks. I am no longer 20 so muscles tend to get torn more easily apparently. I know some ways to lower it. It means I have to stop smoking and change my diet habits and lack of exercise habits.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
Reputation: 9423
It means I have to stop smoking and change my diet habits and lack of exercise habits.

Here's sending you encouragement to do this! Got a plan yet? When do you begin??
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 04:31 PM
 
303 posts, read 475,052 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
It means I have to stop smoking and change my diet habits and lack of exercise habits.

Here's sending you encouragement to do this! Got a plan yet? When do you begin??
Well, I could always set tomorrow as the day! And maybe I will even do it!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,756 posts, read 5,258,915 times
Reputation: 4606
Yeah, any sort of acute pain will throw your bp into overdrive, primarily because the body is going into a sort of "repair mode" and trying to send extra blood to the site of the injure to facilitate cell repair. Pain can also trigger your "fight of flight" response, which in turns kicks on your adrenal gland, which can then start a bp spike. This is normal, but it shouldn't continue to be high for the entire course of your injury rehab. The scenario I just described usually only happens during the initial pain of the injury or trauma.
Stress and inactivity of course will increase bp. But I would decline my doc's doubling of your bp or statin med. ALl those things have side-effects, and one of the worst ones for what you're taking is feeling dizzy upon standing up--or even fainting.
You can lower your own bp through diet and rest and relaxation techniques. Even some pain meds for the short-term, maybe, or an NSAID drug, like Ibuprofen; those would alleviate the pain and swelling and thus probably stop the bp elevation.
And don't forget the old RICE for injuries: "Rest-Ice-Compression-Elevation."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 04:49 PM
 
303 posts, read 475,052 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Yeah, any sort of acute pain will throw your bp into overdrive, primarily because the body is going into a sort of "repair mode" and trying to send extra blood to the site of the injure to facilitate cell repair. Pain can also trigger your "fight of flight" response, which in turns kicks on your adrenal gland, which can then start a bp spike. This is normal, but it shouldn't continue to be high for the entire course of your injury rehab. The scenario I just described usually only happens during the initial pain of the injury or trauma.
Stress and inactivity of course will increase bp. But I would decline my doc's doubling of your bp or statin med. ALl those things have side-effects, and one of the worst ones for what you're taking is feeling dizzy upon standing up--or even fainting.
You can lower your own bp through diet and rest and relaxation techniques. Even some pain meds for the short-term, maybe, or an NSAID drug, like Ibuprofen; those would alleviate the pain and swelling and thus probably stop the bp elevation.
And don't forget the old RICE for injuries: "Rest-Ice-Compression-Elevation."
Thanks, it's an upper back tear, so there is no elevating. He told me to put heat on it four times a day and prescribed something called venterol or ventorin and SOMA. The ventorin is an anti-inflammatory and the SOMA is a muscle relaxer. It was weird, but he made it a point to tell me to not tell anyone I have the SOMA and to hide them so people won't steal them. I really feel like I have no choice but to increase the BP medication, as it was 150/95 today and that is just too high. I'll risk dizziness rather than a stroke.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by puglywump View Post
Does having a torn/sprained/strained muscle and the associated pain lead to higher blood pressure? I went to my Dr and he has now doubled my blood pressure medication. I am thinking that maybe pain is causing my blood pressure to be higher?

He says this is going to take two months to heal. All over a stupid sprained muscle.
Your BP is up for one simple reason........STRESS. It's a normal reaction magnified by the injury. I know it won't be easy but just chill out as best you can to keep that Stress from getting worse. Try to stay as busy as you can to keep your mind from obsessing on your concern.

Best of luck, mate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
Reputation: 9423
With a torn muscle you'll not be doing any strenuous exercise, but diet and smoking could be moderated, eh?

This is your coach speaking...you can do this...a new wholesome diet can help your torn muscle knit faster..and quitting smoking will get more oxygen into your blood, which will also help you heal.

Up to the challenge? Love yourself enough to nurture yourself??
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
With a torn muscle you'll not be doing any strenuous exercise, but diet and smoking could be moderated, eh?

This is your coach speaking...you can do this...a new wholesome diet can help your torn muscle knit faster..and quitting smoking will get more oxygen into your blood, which will also help you heal.

Up to the challenge? Love yourself enough to nurture yourself??
Pardon me but the OP DOES NOT need the additional stress of trying to quit smoking at this time. To suggest that is, well, kinda dumb..........
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top