U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:39 AM

9,444 posts, read 14,986,181 times

Advertisements

There is a link between overconsumption of animal protein ----uric acid----osteoporosis.
Calcium supplements will not help osteoporosis.

[quote]separate study of self-selected weighed food intake showed no statistical difference in the amount of calcium ingested, but there was a distinct difference in the calcium-animal protein ratio and acid-base formation of foods in the diet. The explanation for this phenomenon is that meat products are high in uric acid - a standard quarter pound steak contains 16 grains of uric acid of which the body can only eliminate 9 in one day. Mod cut: copyright violation[quote]

Osteoporosis - researchDiet & Lifestyle

Basically, the body can only absorb a certain amount of protein, meat products are very high in uric acid (the acid that causes multiple diseases in your body). The body can only eliminate a certain amount of it and the rest stays in, but the human body is very intelligent and it desperately looks for ways to protect itself from uric acid. So it releases calcium in a liquid form and traps uric acid. It releases it from our bones and weakens our bones and causes osteoporosis. So, we can take thousands of miligrams of calcium a day to treat osteoporosis, but it's not going to make a difference.

Eta: the bottom line is that anyone who suffers with this condition, needs to cut down dramatically on consumption of animal protein and any other acidic foods such as coffee. They need to immediately dramatically increase their consumption of deep green leafy vegetables as well as superfoods such as wheatgrass. Taking isolated calcium vitamin from GNC is not going to help if the body is in this unhealthy state.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-16-2009 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 04:24 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,481,736 times
Excellent Post, MM, thank you!

Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,978,090 times
If meat bothers you then don't eat it .... but many like myself thrive on fatty red meat and my skin and hair have never felt better since i've gone back to eating this way. No more carmex for my once dry and bleeding lips or nosebleeds here in the dry desert .

Old 12-17-2009, 09:55 AM

5,119 posts, read 9,416,029 times
Very interesting article, thanks for posting about the connection between meat eating and osteo...

Old 12-17-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
If meat bothers you then don't eat it .... but many like myself thrive on fatty red meat and my skin and hair have never felt better since i've gone back to eating this way. No more carmex for my once dry and bleeding lips or nosebleeds here in the dry desert .
Thank you for completely missing the point of the article.

I'm also a meat eater by the way, I'm not a vegetarian by any means. The point of the post is that for those who suffer from osteoporosis, need to reduce the animal protein intake and increase deep green leafy vegetables intake, as well as cereal grasses like wheatgrass and micro-algaes. My post is pointing out that the main reason for osteoporosis is the excess of uric acid whic primarily comes from eating animal protein.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:58 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,335,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Thank you for completely missing the point of the article.

I'm also a meat eater by the way, I'm not a vegetarian by any means. The point of the post is that for those who suffer from osteoporosis, need to reduce the animal protein intake and increase deep green leafy vegetables intake, as well as cereal grasses like wheatgrass and micro-algaes. My post is pointing out that the main reason for osteoporosis is the excess of uric acid whic primarily comes from eating animal protein.
One note about the "dense greens", as I would call them... Asparagus, spinach, cauliflower, some legumes and some hearty grains can be pretty high in purine - which is the same stuff found in meat that gets metabolized to uric acid. They fall on the "avoid" list for people who commonly suffer from gout just like rich fish and dark, gamey meat.

I think the conclusion that "uric acid is the main reason for osteoporosis" is a tad on the strong/unsupported side, but definitely an interesting article. I'll be curious to see if this research floats.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:04 AM

74 posts, read 174,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Taking 2000 - 3000mg of Omega 3 a day would have helped with these issues too, I know from first hand experience

Old 12-17-2009, 11:06 AM

74 posts, read 174,946 times
Is there a link available that lists foods high in uric acid? And is this the same stuff that causes gout?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
One note about the "dense greens", as I would call them... Asparagus, spinach, cauliflower, some legumes and some hearty grains can be pretty high in purine - which is the same stuff found in meat that gets metabolized to uric acid. They fall on the "avoid" list for people who commonly suffer from gout just like rich fish and dark, gamey meat.

I think the conclusion that "uric acid is the main reason for osteoporosis" is a tad on the strong/unsupported side, but definitely an interesting article. I'll be curious to see if this research floats.
I agree with you about some of those dense greens. Especially spinach. I think that cereal grasses and micro-algaes is the best way to neutrolize the acid.

I think Uric acid is ONE OF the reasons for sure, as well as sugar, caffeinated beverages and hormones.

Wom

Old 12-17-2009, 12:48 PM

5,119 posts, read 9,416,029 times
Google uric acid or purine foods and you should come up with a list of foods high in purines which the body breaks down into uric acid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness