Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:46 AM

503 posts, read 771,930 times

Advertisements

My doctor prescribed a MRI with contrast (dye) for an issue I am having. Not sure if I had a reaction to the contrast or a panic attack from being in the MRI tube. I am not normally claustrophobic and was relaxed during the beginning of the test. About 10 minutes into it they tell me over the intercom that they are going to put the contrast in and not to worry if it feels hot or cold.. Ok fine. About a minute or 2 later my heart started to race. I signaled to the tech that I was having a problem -he asked me what was wrong so I told him and he stopped the test and brought me out of the tube. A few minutes later the other tech took my bp (98/72 which normal for me) and my heart rate was 90. She said that racing heart rate was not a normal reaction to the contrast and that I was probably just nervous about the test and I should take a valium next time.

Has anyone had this reaction to the contrast?? I dont want to be doped up next time if I truly had a reaction to the contrast!! I tried to schedule an open MRI to see if that made a difference but apparently you cant use an open MRI for breast exams.

Is there a way to test if you are sensititive to the contrast? Uhg - dont know what to do because I know I need the test but dont want to have a heart attack in the process....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 02:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
You doctor can prescribe a steroid to take before you leave home and another before you actually go in the MRI. It cuts reaction to the contrast. However, if you are allergic to iodine, they can use gadolinium (I think, not sure of spelling) which I have safely used b/c I am allergic to iodine. Or the doc can prescribe 1-2 Valiums for you if it's anxiety. Which I also need b/c I am claustrophobic. The open MRI really doesn't help me much.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:05 AM

222 posts, read 581,033 times
I'm allergic to contrast/iodine.. but nothing like that. My guees you just got nervous.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:14 PM

Thanks! Appreciate your replies. Maybe it was nerves. I will have to try it again - maybe try the valium route.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:45 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
I never have a reaction to it except for shivers and one time I swear I could taste it and smell it up for 24 hours after. I have an MRI once a year w/ contrast.

I can't use the dye in CT scans though, I break out into a rash and have to be pre treated with benedryl and steroids a day before. So if you have another one you might want them to pretreat, it may help and i agree about the valium. Maybe you were nervous.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 39,347 times
I just had the exact same thing happen w breast MRI. All was going fine. Contrast injected. Heart raced. Felt a little nauseated. Panicked for a moment and thought about pressing the emergency button but was able to breathe through it to complete the test. Heart slowed after a minute of deep breaths. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:42 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
I had a bit of an anxiety attack during a ct scan with contrast. No reaction to it but it created a very odd sensation which caused the anxiety.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:57 PM

Havent gone back yet - will let you know how it goes. Not sure if I want to take valium on an empty stomach (they told me not to eat or drink 3hrs before the test). Going to practice relaxation breathing and maybe that will work. I guess you can be nervous without consciously realizing it?

Thanks for sharing your experiences - that peace of mind is helpful!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 39,347 times
For me, I don't think it was being nervous without consciously realizing it. I do think the dye made my heart race. i.e., it was a physical reaction. It was odd enough that I googled it and I was relieved to find your post and know I was not alone. If you think about it, the dye gets absorbed into your body pretty quickly for it to do its job and allow the scans to continue so promptly. Maybe the racing heart is part of what gets the dye where it is supposed to go. I also had an empty stomach so that might have contributed to my moment of nausea. It's not fun to have to go through it but deep breathing and thinking happy thoughts helped. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
I'm allergic to contrast/iodine.. but nothing like that. My guees you just got nervous.

Contrast with Iodine is used for CT scans. contrast with iron is used for MRI's. People tend to be allergic to the CT scan contrast more then the MRI contrast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness