Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:02 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,851,383 times

Advertisements

What kind of "discomfort" are you experiencing? If you have any itching or burning, i would say try self-medicating before you bother going to a doctor. But, if there isn't any itching/burning, you probably have something more complicated than just 'roids, like a fistula or a fissure or an abscess. In that case, your butt should see a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 03:50 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,417,348 times
Rectal bleeding can be caused by hemmorhoids, fissures, polyps, diverticula, AVMs (little bloods vessel malformations) or cancer.

Hemorrhoids are varicose veins in the rectum. They are usually internal but can prolapse and become external. They can also "thrombose" (develop a small clot within) and become exquisitely painful - this can be an emergency.

Hemorrhoids cause itching, pressure and can bleed with the straining of defecation. It is bright red blood on the tissue or streaked on the outside of a formed stool. Treatment is to prevent irritation by keeping bowels regular and stools soft - fiber supplements and stool softeners. Painful external hemorrhoids can be treated with topical OTC creams...internal hemorrhoids with suppositories such as Anusol HC (hydrocortisone), proctofoam etc.

A rectal fissure is a linear tear in the rectum itself. Symptoms are bleeding and the sensation of a shard of glass is scraping your rectum while defecating. Diverticular bleeding is usally large amounts of painless bright red blood. AVM bleeding is dark blood mixed in with the stool and may not be visible to the eye.

That being said, ALL rectal bleeding should be evaluated to rule out something more serious such as ulcerative colitis, colorectal cancer etc. A simple digital rectal exam would reveal hemorrhoids or a fissure. If the exam was normal, then a colonoscopy would be indicated.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one just for me.

Anywho.. I developed an internal hemorrhoid 5 days ago that slightly protruded. I made the mistake of overeating one day which sometimes triggers bile acid diarrhea with me (slight IBS here), the next morning I woke up and noticed a slight itchy feeling, upon closer inspection with a mirror I noticed a pea sized lump. I left it alone for two days and done the usual sitz bath routine as recommended but it didn't get better. After reading about internal hems that get protruded I decided to push it in a little with some Preparation H and sure enough it disappeared into my anus. The inflammation went away after that but I still can't help but wonder when it will come back out again. I'm trying to decide if I should go to a gastroenterologist or a proctologist. People always say constipation causes hemorrhoids but diarrhea will cause them just as well.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:31 AM

9 posts, read 26,139 times
This post was written a while ago, so I hope all is well. No, I wouldn't burst any hemorrhoid tissue. Yes, I would get it checked out by a doctor to eliminate other possibilities. Yes, you can beat hemorrhoids naturally. I did- see http://www.squidoo.com/external-hemorrhoid where I wrote about how I did it. Also keep an eye on this site johnreason.com as it has useful hemorrhoid info/newsletter by a former sufferer.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:11 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,418 times
the post may be old, but i hadn't read it before...the part where the OP talked about examining himself internally with shampoo as a lubricant

for anyone wishing to do this, please do yourselves a favour and buy some KY gel, and you might bring a few less tears to your eyes.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 20,598 times
"Many women develop hemorroids just from pregnancy alone, and that's not confined to those who push during vaginal delivery."

Yes it is true, many women develop hemorroids by pregnancy, what is the best way to cure hemorroids?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
i woud see a doctor as the surgery for them is nothig like the past if a continuing problem. i have plenty fo friends who havew ahd it done as they worened to be a pretty constant problem.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:26 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,546 times
My GI doc suggested I do two things: 1) add Benefiber to my diet; 2) drink a glass of Miralax every day. It's working.

I was leery of the Benefiber and whined about it because I already eat a lot of fruit and veg and fibrous carbs, but my doc insisted that I could use more fiber. I find that it dissolves completely and doesn't have any taste at all. (That was one of my big concerns, that it was going to be gritty.) I mix the plain Benefiber into my almond milk, or I use the sweetened/flavored ones, like the strawberry-kiwi. (They're sweetened with Splenda, I think.)

The Miralax is a crystal stool softener. OTC; no prescription; not habit-forming. (One shouldn't use laxatives regularly as your intestines will become lazy and unable to move things along without the chemical stimulants. But Miralax isn't a laxative; it's just a stool softener. Pulls water into your intestines, and then your intestines still do the work of moving things along.)

Mix the Miralax into the beverage of your choice. It doesn't have any flavor or taste weird. Once a day, or every couple days, I drink a 16-oz concoction of water with the strawberry-kiwi Benefiber, and then I add a serving of the Miralax powder. Shake well and drink. It's like drinking Crystal Light or something and it keeps everything soft and moving freely.

If you are still having pain/discomfort, etc. then by all means, do go see a gastro-interologist. I recently had a colonoscopy, and my doctor confirmed one small internal and one small external hemorrhoid. He didn't even BROACH the topic of surgery.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:40 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,042 times
I admit that I have had them for as long as I can remember, going back to at least my teen years. They are completely intermittent for me, but I do know that I get them more if I'm "holding it" or walking around on concrete a lot. I have them now, yes, because I've had problems with my digestive system (noted in another thread).

When my ex and I were together it was something she was concerned about (she's a nurse) but it was not a topic I wanted to touch. She laughed last night on the phone when I told her that I thought I might have IBS. I asked her why she was laughing, and she said "because this is coming from YOU!"

Old 06-28-2010, 12:15 AM

2 posts, read 20,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edytharceo View Post
"Many women develop hemorroids just from pregnancy alone, and that's not confined to those who push during vaginal delivery."

Yes it is true, many women develop hemorroids by pregnancy, what is the best way to cure hemorroids?
================
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness