U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:11 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,855,551 times

Advertisements

What the E.R. can do is tests and monitoring that cannot be done at home or by "friends". Sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry: head injuries are at the top of that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 05:57 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineCountry View Post
[/b]

Good lord..someone actually ASKED a question like that about a CONCUSSION?? Not meaning to be snarky, but goodness.

It's not like she fell and bruised her knee or something. Head injuries are NOT something to take lightly. At all. Always best to get those types of injuries checked out to make sure nothing worse is going on.
Well, my FIRST thought was that she needed to go to the E.R. I even called her friend and told her that she needed to go--because he didn't even think she had a concussion. But with her being nauseous, that was a sure sign to me that she did. He apparently called her later in the evening and she told him to forget about it. He had her vehicle, and I don't drive. Otherwise, I would have volunteered to take her.

She's covered by Medicaid or Medicare or something like that, so it wasn't a matter of cost.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:33 AM

2,838 posts, read 8,844,735 times
My daughter fell at DisneyWorld a few years ago, bonked her head, and promptly fell asleep. We ran her over to the in-house emergency clinic. They shined a flashlight in her eyes and said that as long as her pupils dilated uniformly and she didn't vomit, she would be fine. Sure enough, she was alert and happy a half hour later. So I'd probably go by that criteria when deciding whether a head injury warranted an ER visit.

As to when I, personally, would visit an ER? If I felt that life or limb were in danger, if I were bleeding profusely, or if I thought I had broken a bone. I don't understand why people go with sore throats, rashes, etc. Those types of things can usually wait until the next morning, when the regular doctor or even a walk in clinic is open! I was in the ER recently because I fell off of a step outside and really thought I broke my foot (turns out a sprain can be very, very painful and cause MUCH swelling!). This was on a weekday, morning hours. (I called my regular doctor and he said he'd just send me to the hospital anyway if he thought it was broken, so I went straight there.) I tried to make myself small and not inhale for the few hours that I sat in the waiting room. I doused myself in antibacterial gel when I finally got into a room... I imagine that most people going to the ER end up sicker than when they show up! I could not believe the number of people there for non-ER-worthy symptoms. One woman was there because she had woken up covered in bugbites. The nurse was telling her that she might have bedbugs. Seriously. The ER for that?? Another woman was saying, "my stomach has been kind of hurting for the past few days." Again, the emergency room for that? One mom had her little boy in the germ-infested ER waiting room because he had a fever and threw up that morning. I just hope he didn't catch something worse than a tummy bug while he was there!

Old 12-31-2009, 07:38 PM

4,665 posts, read 5,908,507 times
Many people go to the ER because it is their only option. They have no insurance, no money, and most doctors will not see them in the office. ER's in publicly funded hospitals cannot turn away patients no matter their ability to pay or the trivality of their illness. Others go to the ER seeking drugs to keep them going when they cannot make contact with their illegal suppliers or do not have the money to do so. While most hospitals are excellent at identifying these types of people, many know how to work the system, go when the ER is it s busiest hours, and yes, they often walk out with scripts.

I have been in the ER four times in the last two years. These were real emergencies. An intestinal blockage that landed me in the hospital for two weeks with alot of painful and disgusting treatment. A pulmonary embolism that because we went to the ER promptly and the doctors were on top of it quickly, my husband survived when most people do not. The last visit was for a bleeding ear, which we were lucky it was a repercussion of the cumadin treatment and not a brain aneurysm which was the first suspect by the ER doctor.

Frankly, I hope I never have to go to the ER again, but I'm glad it is there on those occasions when for my family it has been a life saver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or