U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 04:04 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times

Advertisements

My room mate smacked her head and gave herself a concussion. She had dizziness, nausea, and just wanted to go to sleep. She let a friend borrow her car, and I told him that he needed to come take her to the E.R. because she had all the symptoms of a concussion (he didn't believe HER).

Um--now that I think about it--why? What's the real point in going to an E.R. to seek care for a concussion? What can they really do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 05:49 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,733,092 times
Well, for one thing, they can examine her and make sure it's not WORSE than a concussion. They might want to observe her for a while to make certain she's OK (remember Natasha Richardson?)...There are good reasons for her to be seen in the ER.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-21-2009 at 07:47 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 05:52 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,034,362 times
Concussion is a bruising of the brain. Often, that can also lead to fluid build up which can be fatal.

Go the ER.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Concussion is a bruising of the brain. Often, that can also lead to fluid build up which can be fatal.

Go the ER.
Concussion doesn't lead to 'fluid buildup' but what CAN happen is that small blood vessels, usually veins, can tear and produce subdural or epidural hematomata that bleed slowly and, because the skull has its volume limited by its rigid bony walls, compression of the brain, including the brainstem can result from this bleeding over the course of hours. This can result in herniation of the brainstem, which controls autonomic functions of breathing and heart rate, through the opening in the base of the skull, the foramen magnum. Death is the inevitable result of herniation.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:47 AM

15,638 posts, read 14,695,160 times
Keep in mind what happened to Natasha Richardson and go to the ER.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,034,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Concussion doesn't lead to 'fluid buildup' but what CAN happen is that small blood vessels, usually veins, can tear and produce subdural or epidural hematomata that bleed slowly and, because the skull has its volume limited by its rigid bony walls, compression of the brain, including the brainstem can result from this bleeding over the course of hours. This can result in herniation of the brainstem, which controls autonomic functions of breathing and heart rate, through the opening in the base of the skull, the foramen magnum. Death is the inevitable result of herniation.
Well...blood IS a fluid, isn't it?

Thanks for the correct information. I was close, but no cigar. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:52 AM

60 posts, read 201,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My room mate smacked her head and gave herself a concussion. She had dizziness, nausea, and just wanted to go to sleep. She let a friend borrow her car, and I told him that he needed to come take her to the E.R. because she had all the symptoms of a concussion (he didn't believe HER).

Um--now that I think about it--why? What's the real point in going to an E.R. to seek care for a concussion? What can they really do about it?

Good lord..someone actually ASKED a question like that about a CONCUSSION?? Not meaning to be snarky, but goodness.

It's not like she fell and bruised her knee or something. Head injuries are NOT something to take lightly. At all. Always best to get those types of injuries checked out to make sure nothing worse is going on.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:55 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
what appears to be minor may not be. people say im fine im fine but then later die.
especially true of head injuries. i dont like ER use bek of the horrible monster bills.
i like MD office, the ER at kaiser works great for me. dropped a clock on my head a few months ago and had to use it.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:16 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Well, she didn't go, unless she went this morning. She told me about it around 4 p.m. and at midnight, she still hadn't gone.

I knew that they could give her tests, an MRI, a CAT scan, whatever--but didn't know what they could really do about it. Could they actually get rid of the dizziness and nausea she was feeling? Could they make her not want to sleep (at one point, I guess, they thought you weren't supposed to let people with a concussion fall asleep?)? She told me her friend DID come over, but she told him that she didn't want to go, and he let it slide.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:41 PM

If her symptoms were due to an epidural or subdural hematoma, they could quickly diagnose her and take her to surgery emergently to evacuate the blood and clots. Sometimes all it takes is a little burr hole to relieve the pressure, but NOT doing that can sometimes be fatal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or