U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:03 PM

9,444 posts, read 15,005,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Max Mama

Is this a heavy oil?? Sounds good & I would like to try it but don't like anything heavy
In my personal opinion, it's very light...by heavy, do you mean thick? If yes, then I don't think it's heavy at all. It solidifies in a temperature below 72, it becomes white like snow and solid, but in warm temperatures it turns into a liquid. It's very gentle and you really don't need that much, it's pretty oily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Below 76F coconut oil is solid. Scrape with fingernail . . or microwave to liquefy. One consumption option is to blend with sugar-free pudding. For a small trial amount, look among the nutritional supplements at Walmart. Online vendor.
Yep. Although for some reason I thought it was 72...well, close enough, somewhere in that area. I also suggest to take it out with a very clean dry spoon instead of finger.

One of my favorite brands is Gold Label from Tropical Traditions. It comes from Phillipines and I think it's a little more superior then other brands. One of the reasons is that I also cook with it and I prefer the taste. These are 2 of the brands I buy:

Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil - Certified Organic from Tropical Traditions
P U R E . P L A N E T

Old 12-23-2009, 03:24 PM

23,625 posts, read 31,237,055 times
I use the Neutrogena sesame body oil. It does not smell like sesame cooking oil; it has a light, pleasant fragrance. Why not try that?

Old 12-24-2009, 04:49 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,161,157 times
I want to thank everyone for the suggestions!

I bought the following:

Coconut Oil
Almond Oil
Jojola Oil

Those were the only ones available at the the vitamin health store in my area.

I'm glad the almond and jojola oils don't have much of a scent. I was afraid they'd smell terrible.

I can see how the almond oil isn't as thick as the jojola oil. I tried one on each hand when I got home.

I used the jojola oil after my shower while I was still wet. It seemed too thick, but after I dried off, I'm not feeling greesy.

The coconut oil is the most surprising and amazing.

At first, I spooned some out on the back of my hand. When it melted, there was sooooooooo much of it.

Glad I tested it so I knew to use it sparingly. (Someone mentioned that, but I wasn't aware of just how much it became after melting!)

I tried it after my shower for my face. After I dried off, I just wet my fingers with it and put it on my face. My face as never been so soft!

I had read that coconut oil cures Rosacea so I'm giving it a try. Seems counter to common sense---since Rosacea also includes acne, but I do have dry skin and the redness.

Apparently coconut oil has two types of bacteria and fungus fighters so it might not cause acne.

I hope I can figure out how to use the coconut oil all over my body after a shower without it being too messy.

Even though I love the coconut oil the best, it's not good for carrying in my purse.

I'll use the almond oil and the jojola oil after washing my hands, at my desk at work.

Maybe they'll be best in the summer when it's humid and coconut oil might be too oily that time of year for me.

I'll keep everyone posted on how these work out. If it cures my Rosacea, I'll be announcing it from mountain tops!

Old 12-24-2009, 06:18 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,678,720 times
When my skin gets very dry, I use Dr. Denese's Hydroshield Body Serum. It is excellent.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I want to thank everyone for the suggestions!

I bought the following:

Coconut Oil
Almond Oil
Jojola Oil

Those were the only ones available at the the vitamin health store in my area.

I'm glad the almond and jojola oils don't have much of a scent. I was afraid they'd smell terrible.

I can see how the almond oil isn't as thick as the jojola oil. I tried one on each hand when I got home.

I used the jojola oil after my shower while I was still wet. It seemed too thick, but after I dried off, I'm not feeling greesy.

The coconut oil is the most surprising and amazing.

At first, I spooned some out on the back of my hand. When it melted, there was sooooooooo much of it.

Glad I tested it so I knew to use it sparingly. (Someone mentioned that, but I wasn't aware of just how much it became after melting!)

I tried it after my shower for my face. After I dried off, I just wet my fingers with it and put it on my face. My face as never been so soft!

I had read that coconut oil cures Rosacea so I'm giving it a try. Seems counter to common sense---since Rosacea also includes acne, but I do have dry skin and the redness.

Apparently coconut oil has two types of bacteria and fungus fighters so it might not cause acne.

I hope I can figure out how to use the coconut oil all over my body after a shower without it being too messy.

Even though I love the coconut oil the best, it's not good for carrying in my purse.

I'll use the almond oil and the jojola oil after washing my hands, at my desk at work.

Maybe they'll be best in the summer when it's humid and coconut oil might be too oily that time of year for me.

I'll keep everyone posted on how these work out. If it cures my Rosacea, I'll be announcing it from mountain tops!

Yay!!! I knew you are going to love it!!! I'm so glad you listened to our suggestions, it's not too often that we see the updates like this.

I agree that coconut oil could be too messy. In the summer, I usually use it when I'm too long in the sun. Although it won't protect the skin from UV rays per say, it protects and heals the skin from the aging and damaging that the sun can cause. I even use it around my eyes against wrinkles.

If you are going to go out in the summer at night and expose your arms and legs, apply some of it on them and you will get so much compliments on how beautiful your skin looks like.

Enjoy!
It's all good against dry hair scalp and helps with hair loss.

PS: it has tons of health benefits as well.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:48 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,181,870 times
Speaking of coconut oil ... this is one of my very favorite lotions and it's been around for a long time and i've been using it for years and, god bless them, they haven't messed with their formula.
I didn't recommend it initially because i don't use coconut oil or lotions in the winter as coconut is very cooling and i tend toward being on the cold side.
But you all don't seem to be concerned about the cooling property of coconut in the winter so here:
Mountain Ocean SkinTrip (http://www.mountainocean.com/product/broch.htm - broken link)
It's not messy at all - it's a lotion but with a good amount of oil but it's not at all greasy - and it smells wonderful.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:12 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,161,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I didn't recommend it initially because i don't use coconut oil or lotions in the winter as coconut is very cooling and i tend toward being on the cold side.
But you all don't seem to be concerned about the cooling property of coconut in the winter so here:
Mountain Ocean SkinTrip (http://www.mountainocean.com/product/broch.htm - broken link)
It's not messy at all - it's a lotion but with a good amount of oil but it's not at all greasy - and it smells wonderful.
Thanks! I'm just amazed that my skin softened so quickly! Almost instantly!

I can see what you mean about it being cooling. Cooling is good for the rosacea on my face. Warm makes it flush red.

But I have been feeling chilled---colder than anyone else on Christmas Eve. Not sure if that was the coconut oil or not.

Maybe I'll use something else on my body in the winter, but use coconut oil on my face year round.

My face and body are super soft now, but it's not working on my hands. It's keeping my hands at bay, not really softening them very much.

Anyone have any intense treatments for hands?

Old 12-26-2009, 08:36 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,383,420 times
Prime your skin with oil of choice and then layer lotion on over that. It really helps whatever product work better on extremely dry skin. Switch out your summer soaps for something with more moisture for winter. I've been using Dove's body washes and am loving that my body is not itchy all over from the skin being damaged from drying soap use. If you get that extremely itchy thing its going to take a couple weeks to really go away. Its actually micro-cracked skin! Yikes.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:47 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,601,994 times
Default Coconut oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I love love love virgin coconut oil for my skin. It is truly nature's best moisturizer. You can find it in any health food stores. It smells really good too.
Here is a link about coconut oil and skin benefits.

100% Pure Coconut oil is the best treatment to heal, protect and beautify your skin and hair

:-)
Thanks and will pass your success story to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness