U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 06:12 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I'm just very curious.
What is the connection between anemia and chewing ice?
Why would there be that desire due to a blood / iron issue?
Ice simply tastes better to people who have anemia. Anemia messes with taste buds, causing things to taste different.

People with anemia have low iron in the blood which means there is low oxygen in the blood too.

Water and ice have oxygen. Water just doesn't taste as good as ice to people with anemia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 08:11 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,623,070 times
I steer clear of store-bought juices. You are getting a load of sugar all at once. Granted, it is not refined sugar (that stuff is poison), but it still is harmful if you ingest too much. Also, the vitamins present in the fruit are mostly degraded. I make my own fruit juice at home with a juicer and I add a lot of water to water it down. I also make veggie juice this way.

My general rule of thumb is that if nature made it then eat it. If man made it then don't eat it. Start drinking water, eating real fruits and veggies, and only drinking your own homemade juice when you have time constraints and can't sit down to eat a huge salad.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:17 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,163,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Ice simply tastes better to people who have anemia. Anemia messes with taste buds, causing things to taste different.

People with anemia have low iron in the blood which means there is low oxygen in the blood too.

Water and ice have oxygen. Water just doesn't taste as good as ice to people with anemia.
Oh, i see .... interesting.
Thank you.
In the winter especially, i drink hot water with just lemon in it.
I wonder if that would taste good to the o.p..

Old 04-17-2010, 08:27 AM

2,359 posts, read 8,045,019 times
Processed sugar = acne & obesity

Old 04-17-2010, 10:02 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
If you squeeze one orange, that's only 4 to 6 oz of juice--a small glass. Most people overdo it. And the sugar hits your bloodstream more quickly when it is juiced, because your body doesn't have to break it down, causing your insulin to spike. Furthermore, juice doesn't have all the healthy fiber from the pulp, membranes, skin, whatever, of the fruit. OJ might have a little pulp, but consider the difference between what's left over from a juiced orange (all the peel and white stuff inside) versus an orange you peeled and ate (peel and maybe a little pith).

ARS | Publication request: Orange juice consumed regularly decreased the Insulin Resistance in normal subjects

Technical Abstract: Orange juice is a natural source of citrus flavonoids, that can protect against coronary heart disease (CHD) and cancer, and it can be easily incorporated into a healthy diet. In spite of this, orange juice is also associated with high sugar intake (glucose and fructose) that can increase insulin resistance and lead to diabetes and its complications.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:36 AM

4,268 posts, read 13,710,483 times
I think it's just better to have the fruit in the most natural state. Maybe something happens to it in the juice-making process. I can't have any sugars on this diet I'm on (except for oranges, apples, strawberries, and grapefruit) so in the mornings, I have coffee now. I thought it was funny, too, the I'm going to turn into a caffeine fiend, but a sugar-free caffeine fiend.

The Welchs' claim of 100% juice ... look in the nutrition content and there is a TON of sugar. I've been to Whole Foods and other organic stores and have purchased REAL juices and quite frankly, they are nasty ... or at the very least, very hard to get used to, so "real juices", to me, is over-rated and I'd rather have just the real fruit.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:53 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
Fruit and fruit juice do have sugar in them (fructose). There's no avoiding that. Or did you mean that despite being labeled "100% juice," they had sucrose or other added sugar?

Old 04-17-2010, 10:25 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,258,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Okay, so I gave up drinking soda/iced tea. I've started drinking juices --- 100% juices, NOT the ones with added sugar, high fructose corn syrup or anything else. Just fruit and filtered water.

My doctor says they're no good because they have sugar. I said it's natural fruit sugar and he says it's still sugar. I said well, then why is it ok to EAT fruit but not DRINK fruit??? He didn't answer and just said I can drink water or tea (sure, lots of caffiene!)

What is the deal with this???? I know that processed sugar from sugar CANE isn't good and that brown sugar or "raw" sugar is best, but I'm talking about the sugar from fruit. Why is that no good, but regular fruit is good????
Actually your doc is correct: fruit juice contains a ton of sugar in the form of fructose. A 12-oz glass of OJ has about 35 grams of fructose sugar in it, which is basically your daily allotment. (BTW, since there are four grams per teaspoon, that's about nine tspns. of sugar in that OJ.) Go ahead and spoon-out nine teaspoons of sugar on your kitchen counter and you'll see what your doc is talking about--that's a lot of sugar! And sugar is sugar: raw sugar is no better than refined. "Pure Organic Cane Juice" is merely hippie sugar. LOL. And as far as fruit: the same thing holds: too much fruit can cause bloating and fat. Did you know that sugar will put fat on you faster than fat grams will? (That's supposing that it's not burned off with exercise, BTW.)
So what to drink? Water is good. Vitamin Water is good, with only 13 grams of sugar per serving. Green Tea is good, since it has half the caffeine as black tea. Gatorade is OK, but you really don't need the electrolytes unless you're gonna sweat a lot. Look: a couple glasses of juice per day certainly isn't going to hurt you, and it is definately better than drinking colas. but just don't think you can chug juice all day long with impunity. You can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness