Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 08:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,986,951 times

Advertisements

Ice definitely counts! It turns to water in your stomach!

Are you sure you don't have an iron deficiency? Eating ice is a possible symptom of anemia.

Try flavoring your water by squeezing a slice of fruit with lots of ice filling the glass to make it super cold.

You shouldn't drink as much juice as you're drinking so give the cold flavored water a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 12:00 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,882,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
About the water..... does ice count?? I chew ice constantly. I'm anemic and I CRAVE ice. I suck/chew at least 10 trays of ice/day plus when I buy a large cup of ice from the restaurant near my job. Would that count as "water"?

Yes! Ice counts. It's water in a solid form. There's no problem there. Just watch your teeth (some are so hard they might chip your teeth).

Old 12-24-2009, 12:29 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,464,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Yes! Ice counts. It's water in a solid form. There's no problem there. Just watch your teeth (some are so hard they might chip your teeth).
I make my ice in "slivers" so they're not too thick or hard so as to break or chip teeth. The restaurant by my job also has "the" perfect ice. LOL!

I think I'll also follow some of the other posters advice about squeezing a fruit slice into the water and using lots of ice... that would probably help.

Thanks!

Old 12-24-2009, 12:31 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,464,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Are you sure you don't have an iron deficiency? Eating ice is a possible symptom of anemia.

Try flavoring your water by squeezing a slice of fruit with lots of ice filling the glass to make it super cold.

Yes... I have anemia and it's actually gotten worse. My doc is telling me to use 325mg/day of iron supplements. My blood count dropped dramatically in a month's time, so he's worried about it. I told him about my ice chewing and he also said that's a symptom of the anemia (even though a lot of people don't believe that)

I'll definitely be taking your advice about squeezing the fruit in the water and using lots of ice. Sounds great. Thanks!

Old 12-24-2009, 12:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,115,112 times
Quote:
Okay, so I gave up drinking soda/iced tea. I've started drinking juices --- 100% juices, NOT the ones with added sugar, high fructose corn syrup or anything else. Just fruit and filtered water.

My doctor says they're no good because they have sugar. I said it's natural fruit sugar and he says it's still sugar. I said well, then why is it ok to EAT fruit but not DRINK fruit??? He didn't answer and just said I can drink water or tea (sure, lots of caffiene!)

What is the deal with this???? I know that processed sugar from sugar CANE isn't good and that brown sugar or "raw" sugar is best, but I'm talking about the sugar from fruit. Why is that no good, but regular fruit is good????
Keep in mind that fruit juices REPRESENT a HUGE amount of fruit consumption (think of the amount of fruit it takes to make one glass of juice). You would be much better off to eat the fruit whole so that you do not eat more than is necessary.

The key is moderation in all things. Yes, the sugar in fruits is a better sugar than one that comes from processing, but when you are substituting fruit for other types of food that you need to be eating, then it becomes an issue. fruit consumption should really not be more than 10 percent of your dietary intake. Drinking a glass of grape juice (for example), you are eating the equivalent of probably two or three pounds of grapes.

Fruit juices are good when you are doing a full body cleanse or fasting, but for the day to day stuff, fresh fruit is infinitely better.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-27-2009, 05:34 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,247,536 times
I only like water that has been through a brita or charcoal filter type deal. Get one of those. Also if you like juice start looking into juicing. Its fun and it tastes great plus you get all the good stuff that fades with factory made juices. Nutrient content drops as soon as the item is picked...The best tasting "juice" I ever had in my life was fresh from the tree lemonade + honeycomb honey of oranges. I still think about it...LOL

Lemons don't grow where I am at now though.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Yes... I have anemia and it's actually gotten worse. My doc is telling me to use 325mg/day of iron supplements. My blood count dropped dramatically in a month's time, so he's worried about it. I told him about my ice chewing and he also said that's a symptom of the anemia (even though a lot of people don't believe that)
Make sure you keep your appointments so he can monitor you and make changes in your treatment if necessary.

Quote:
I'll definitely be taking your advice about squeezing the fruit in the water and using lots of ice. Sounds great. Thanks!
I hope you like it! I love water COLD, COLD, COLD! Normal tap cold isn't very good to me.

They say that fresh lemon and lime squeezed into water is a great antioxidant too.

When I first had to change my eating habits, things tasted bland to me.

I stuck with it and now everything tastes fresh and flavorful.

You just need to give your taste buds a chance to adjust to less fruity flavors.

Good luck!

Old 12-27-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I only like water that has been through a brita or charcoal filter type deal. Get one of those.
Filtering might be a good idea depending on her water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Also if you like juice start looking into juicing. Its fun and it tastes great plus you get all the good stuff that fades with factory made juices. Nutrient content drops as soon as the item is picked...The best tasting "juice" I ever had in my life was fresh from the tree lemonade + honeycomb honey of oranges. I still think about it...LOL
Juicing won't work for the OP because the doctor doesn't want her increasing her sugar intake--even from natural sources like fruit juice, fresh squeezed or not.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:02 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,721,553 times
I'm just very curious.
What is the connection between anemia and chewing ice?
Why would there be that desire due to a blood / iron issue?

Old 12-27-2009, 06:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,910,955 times
A few thin slices of the citrus of your choice in a glass jug of water kept in your refrigerator will flavor the water nicely. Just be sure to place new slices in replacing the old anytime it is time to add water/refill the jug.

If that doesn't work have you tried any of the carbonated waters (no soduim) like Mendota Springs or similar that have the lemon/lime/orange flavoring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness