U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:59 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,044,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I had three MAJOR surgeries in three years when I was in my early 30's. For the last one my parents actually called the priest. That was 20 plus years ago.

I have no fears of being sick and getting old. I've been sick and it's a blessing to be growing old. Because I came real close to not getting that experience.

I live in the moment. I appreciate every single day. I go outside when the wind is blowing to smell the air. I wait for Orion to come every winter. I stop and think, "I am living this right now". I always look at babies in their strollers. I spoil my favorite newphew. I pray. I give my cats extra treats. I blow kisses at firemen. I hold doors for people. I cheer like a woman posessed for the Arizona Cardinals. (O.K. Being a Cardinals fans actually takes years off your life.)

I live every single day knowing that tomorrow is not promised to me.
A grand example of "carpe diem" at work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
carpe diem, sieze the day, not very passive, romans weren't were they?
When you stop to consider that all any creature on earth has is this moment in time ,as they unfold, worry about tomorrow becomes so silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 04:24 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,388,853 times
Been there and done that in my youth due to injury. I don't worry as there is always a way to do something. And if not...Hunter S. T. retirement plan for me!

Old 12-27-2009, 06:07 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,904,087 times
I just worry about when I get over 40 and people treat me as if I were dead.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:29 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,923,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
You worry about being over 40?

People will not treat you as though you are dead once you reach 40 however they may begin to take you seriously.

As to the OP: no reason worrying what is beyond your control. Being prepared with your finances and insurance is wise but worrying just adds to the wrinkles and gray hair.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:01 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,044,991 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You worry about being over 40?

People will not treat you as though you are dead once you reach 40 however they may begin to take you seriously.

As to the OP: no reason worrying what is beyond your control. Being prepared with your finances and insurance is wise but worrying just adds to the wrinkles and gray hair.
Life gets a lot easier when you stop giving a crap what other people "thinK".
As long as you are polite, clean & kind to those around the rest of the world don't mean squat.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:26 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,711,702 times
There's a difference between worrying and planning. We're doing a major fine-tuning to our plans, not so much worrying as looking ahead.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 AM

13,140 posts, read 36,022,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee22 View Post
Iam not scared to die but I do worry about getting old not being able to take care of myself, what about you?
Well we all know about the power of diet and exercise to keep us as young and healthy as we can be for our genetic nature. We're just now learning about our Epigenome that turns on or off certain genes for health, longevity and/or sickness depending on our enviroment (diet, pollution, stress etc.) as we can turn on these longevity genes if we play our cards right.

Lastly research is exploding into what causes aging in the cellular level i.e. the Genes (Sirtuins) and Chromosomes (Telomeres) and how new gene therapies, stem cells and medications will allow us to reverse aging as Biomedicine will be like Star Trek in the coming future

Old 12-28-2009, 12:19 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,430,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I don't worry about getting old, per se. I worry about having a severe stroke that will leave me unable to communicate or move, though. (Yes, I'm weird; give me a catastrophic scenario, and I'll find a way to think/worry about it!)
That was my mothers biggest fear and now, her reality.

What she did not do was do what she could to optimize her health instead of worrying about it.

Even so, there are no guarantees.

Be the best steward of your body and your mind that you can be. Enjoy life. Don't worry because it does not do any good.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:42 PM

14,342 posts, read 20,618,263 times
Quote:

LOL being over 40 isn't old. I can't wait until you reach 40 and look back

Old 12-29-2009, 08:17 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,430,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
LOL being over 40 isn't old. I can't wait until you reach 40 and look back
Some people are old at 25 and others are young at 75.........a lot of it is your perspective on life.

You only get to go forward.........no matter what age........ May as well enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness