Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 06:36 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Prescription narcotics cause more deaths than illegal narcotics

Prescription narcotics cause more deaths than both heroin and cocaine

Quote:
... a new study conducted by physicians at St. Michael's Hospital and the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICES) in Toronto, the number of deaths due to prescription opioid use has doubled between 1991 and 2004. Following the introduction of oxycodone into Toronto's drug formulary in 2000, there has been a 500% increase in deaths due to the drugs.
It seems that deaths from prescription opioids like oxycodone were far greater than deaths from heroin.

The majority of people who died from opioids had visited their doctor and received a prescription for the drug within a month of their death.

Prescription drug abuse is now more common than street drug abuse.

Big Pharma rakes in huge profits from all the patient addictions to their narcotics.

So of all the drug addicts in America today, you can divide them into two camps:

1) People addicted to street drugs.

2) People addicted to prescription drugs.

The people in group #1 (street drugs) are taken to jail where they are given prison sentences.

People in group #2 (prescription drugs) are taken to their doctor where they are given prescription refills. It's all really the same narcotics, it's just that one group is legal and the other is illegal.

And what really determines whether a particular narcotic is legal or illegal? Whether or not Big Pharma profits from it. If Big Pharma makes money off the narcotics, they're considered legal.

Amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 11:03 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
"Following the introduction of oxycodone into Toronto's drug formulary in 2000, there has been a 500% increase in deaths due to the drugs."

I'm wondering if this is due to overdose because of addiction to the drug, or if it happened within the parameters of the prescribed dosage and use.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Prescription narcotics cause more deaths than illegal narcotics

Prescription narcotics cause more deaths than both heroin and cocaine

It seems that deaths from prescription opioids like oxycodone were far greater than deaths from heroin.

The majority of people who died from opioids had visited their doctor and received a prescription for the drug within a month of their death.

Prescription drug abuse is now more common than street drug abuse.

Big Pharma rakes in huge profits from all the patient addictions to their narcotics.

So of all the drug addicts in America today, you can divide them into two camps:

1) People addicted to street drugs.

2) People addicted to prescription drugs.

The people in group #1 (street drugs) are taken to jail where they are given prison sentences.

People in group #2 (prescription drugs) are taken to their doctor where they are given prescription refills. It's all really the same narcotics, it's just that one group is legal and the other is illegal.

And what really determines whether a particular narcotic is legal or illegal? Whether or not Big Pharma profits from it. If Big Pharma makes money off the narcotics, they're considered legal.

Amazing.
I realize that your post is pertaining to the abuse of prescription drugs, but one point that should be made is that over 100,000 people die every year from taking drugs in their PRESCRIBED MANNER. Not abusing them, but simply taking them in accordance with the directions that their doctor and pharmacist gave them.

Drugs are poison, that's all there is to it. With the exception of Insulin and one or two other medications that regulate life-sustaining body functions, there are man alternative ways to help the body heal itself.

My mother recently had a bout with hypertension and the PA at the health clinic where she goes for checkups wanted her to start taking a BP med. My mother said, "No" she would handle it naturally. She reduced her salt intake and starting taking garlic and her blood pressure went down from 200/90 to 150/70 in less than one week. *Plus* she avoided having to deal with the VERY UNPLEASANT side effects of BP meds.

Every one can take their health and wellness into their own hands, it just takes wanting to do it, and a little education, which is available to all.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-24-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
"Following the introduction of oxycodone into Toronto's drug formulary in 2000, there has been a 500% increase in deaths due to the drugs."

I'm wondering if this is due to overdose because of addiction to the drug, or if it happened within the parameters of the prescribed dosage and use.
The study said:

Quote:
So I would assume that the drugs were being used as they were prescribed to be used.

I did not read it to imply that they were being 'abused' in any unlawful manner.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I realize that your post is pertaining to the abuse of prescription drugs, but one point that should be made is that over 100,000 people die every year from taking drugs in their PRESCRIBED MANNER. Not abusing them, but simply taking them in accordance with the directions that their doctor and pharmacist gave them.

Drugs are poison, that's all there is to it. With the exception of Insulin and one or two other medications that regulate life-sustaining body functions, there are man alternative ways to help the body heal itself.

My mother recently had a bout with hypertension and the PA at the health clinic where she goes for checkups wanted her to start taking a BP med. My mother said, "No" she would handle it naturally. She reduced her salt intake and starting taking garlic and her blood pressure went down from 200/90 to 150/70 in less than one week. *Plus* she avoided having to deal with the VERY UNPLEASANT side effects of BP meds.

Every one can take their health and wellness into their own hands, it just takes wanting to do it, and a little education, which is available to all.

20yrsinBranson
I agree.

My inlaws have diabetes, and they are each addicted to drug companies for their habit.

And yet I have friends who are able to control their diabetes using herbs. Any time I mention the herbs to my inlaws, you would think that I was calling them dirty names.

In my forest, on my land, we have been foraging mushrooms. The predominate mushroom that we produce here, is a known treatment for leukemia, and is used in other nations for that treatment. Can you guess what disease killed my Dw's aunt last year? The only option she was given by her doctors was chemo, they pumped poison in her, and she died. In the mean time, we have a bag of these mushrooms sitting here. But "no you can't try an herbal treatment" it might not kill as effectively as chemo does.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I agree.

My inlaws have diabetes, and they are each addicted to drug companies for their habit.

And yet I have friends who are able to control their diabetes using herbs. Any time I mention the herbs to my inlaws, you would think that I was calling them dirty names.

In my forest, on my land, we have been foraging mushrooms. The predominate mushroom that we produce here, is a known treatment for leukemia, and is used in other nations for that treatment. Can you guess what disease killed my Dw's aunt last year? The only option she was given by her doctors was chemo, they pumped poison in her, and she died. In the mean time, we have a bag of these mushrooms sitting here. But "no you can't try an herbal treatment" it might not kill as effectively as chemo does.
I would certainly exhaust all natural options before even considering non-natural treatments. There is a fantastic video on youtube where several people were cured of diabetes using a raw diet. There are many proven cures out there for cancer, some involving herbal treatment, but herbs/plants cannot be patented and pharmaceutical companies cannot make money on them. I spend a lot of time looking at mydeathspace.com and it never ceases to amaze me the number of very young people who die from cancer. (Actually, they do not die from cancer, they die from the TREATMENT of cancer). The official survival rate overall is less than 5 percent, and yet people flock to that treatment as though it were the only answer. It's truly sad. Especially when there ARE treatments out there that work - but nobody gets rich from them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-24-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would certainly exhaust all natural options before even considering non-natural treatments. There is a fantastic video on youtube where several people were cured of diabetes using a raw diet. There are many proven cures out there for cancer, some involving herbal treatment, but herbs/plants cannot be patented and pharmaceutical companies cannot make money on them. I spend a lot of time looking at mydeathspace.com and it never ceases to amaze me the number of very young people who die from cancer. (Actually, they do not die from cancer, they die from the TREATMENT of cancer). The official survival rate overall is less than 5 percent, and yet people flock to that treatment as though it were the only answer. It's truly sad. Especially when there ARE treatments out there that work - but nobody gets rich from them.

20yrsinBranson
Yes it is sad.

It is all about money going to drug dealers, even when their own statistics show that their drugs kill. But hey it is all legal and 'proper', and who doesn't want their son to be a doctor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness