Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,629 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have had my LVAD/Heartmate II since November 23rd 2009. A few weeks ago, i was invited/attended a Thoratec Summit that brainstormed on how the LVAD can basically become a household name... it was a very positive and productive summit. The LVAD restores Life and stamina that may have been lost to End Stage Heart Failure (my condition @ age 47).

I have started a blog, facebook acct, twitter acct, youtube acct etc... all to raise awareness that MY LVAD gave me my life back :-)
josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,565 times
ALAN Hi i received my LVAD on 9th july 2009 at Freeman Hospital Newcastle England , but i live in Aberdeen Scotland . I have had 5 or 6 infections on the drive line in my stomach. Iv,e lost count of the number of nose bleeds iv,e had . Im struggling to find a job , no one seems to want to take on someone with a LVAD . I was a taxi-driver for 26 years , not confident enough to go back to that , but at least i am aloud to drive. The main thing is IM STILL HERE !!!!! cheery bye

Old 07-21-2011, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,387 times
Default Lvad

Hi all. Found this site this evening. Decided to go ahead and post. I am 50. Had two strokes when 42. Lived with heart failure 8 years after. In April of this year my heart had enough. Got really sick and could not walk across the street. Was on Dobutamine for 30 days at Colorado University Hospital until it stopped working. The put in the Lvad heart mate 2 in and a week later i left the hospital. Am back to work. With little limitations. Never felt better. Or at least in the last 8 years. I told the DR i don't care if i had to pull a battery around in a little red wagon, i just want to feel good. I am on the 1A transplant list for 30 days then move down to a 1B. Thanks for listening and have a great one.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,280 times
Smile my husband has a l.v.a.d

congradulations the l.v.a.d saved my husbands life.im writting to let you know that you need to be verry careful when you shower .its verry common for you guys to get infection from shower watter.were dealing with that now , my loves device is now infected and hes on permanet antibiotics to supress it ..best of luck to you

Old 09-23-2011, 04:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,516 times
Default Infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis910 View Post
congradulations the l.v.a.d saved my husbands life.im writting to let you know that you need to be verry careful when you shower .its verry common for you guys to get infection from shower watter.were dealing with that now , my loves device is now infected and hes on permanet antibiotics to supress it ..best of luck to you

Did your husband clean his site with hepaclense or some other Dr. recomended cleanser after every shower?
The reason I ask is I have had an l-vad sense August 31, 2009 and have had no proublems but I always clean my site with hepaclense rite after I bathe. I have a HeartWare device and there is no shower ability with it and so I sponge bathe with a tub full of water sitting on a seat and pulling the water up over my body with a washcloth. Before this I always took a shower because I couldn't stand sitting in the soapy skummy water of a bath.
Just courious abouot this because I am conatantly reminded by my Dr. to keep my site cleaned with the hepaclense.
Best of luck to you and all l-vadeers.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:19 AM

4 posts, read 8,288 times
Hey davis910,
I had a Heartmate2 inserted Nov 2011. I agree with john7734 about cleaning after showers. And, we found that by sticking the achor below the the entry site the water can't run down the cord.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinmask1 View Post
Hi all. Found this site this evening. Decided to go ahead and post. I am 50. Had two strokes when 42. Lived with heart failure 8 years after. In April of this year my heart had enough. Got really sick and could not walk across the street. Was on Dobutamine for 30 days at Colorado University Hospital until it stopped working. The put in the Lvad heart mate 2 in and a week later i left the hospital. Am back to work. With little limitations. Never felt better. Or at least in the last 8 years. I told the DR i don't care if i had to pull a battery around in a little red wagon, i just want to feel good. I am on the 1A transplant list for 30 days then move down to a 1B. Thanks for listening and have a great one.
I got a Heartmate 2 last November @ Duke in Durham, NC. I'm back @ work also, but my co-workers will not let me do anything (nice I guess). Same here on the transplant list, but my antibodies are high. Keep posting...God Bless.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVADone View Post
Hi all, I have had my LVAD/Heartmate II since November 23rd 2009. A few weeks ago, i was invited/attended a Thoratec Summit that brainstormed on how the LVAD can basically become a household name... it was a very positive and productive summit. The LVAD restores Life and stamina that may have been lost to End Stage Heart Failure (my condition @ age 47).

I have started a blog, facebook acct, twitter acct, youtube acct etc... all to raise awareness that MY LVAD gave me my life back :-)
josh
Glad to see you doing well w/a Heartmate 2. I got one last November @ Duke in Durham, NC (I'm 44 but feel like 43 lol). I've sent you a friend request on FB. I wish you well...God Bless.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvadheart View Post
i would like to hear from others who have a lvad device and how they are adjusted. i have a lvad now about four months and would like to hear from others who have it and some suggestions on making life with it a little easier
I got mine @ Duke in Durham, NC November 2011 & doing good. I'm back @ work but they will not let me do much (not that I can't). I was born with Transposition of the Great Arteries so mine is a SVAD (right side). It's good to hear about others with an LVAD. God Bless.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,049 times
Default HeartWare

Does anybody know where I can find a picture or video of a Heartware Patient wearing the device? All I can find is heartmate. My Dad is interested in getting the Heartware because it's smaller and there's less stuff to carry around. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness