U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 04:40 AM

7,458 posts, read 11,141,846 times

Advertisements

Whats your best remedy or prevention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,372,697 times
Figure out if its fungal or dry skin. If you have short hair get a shampoo brush and try out some dandruff shampoos. I love head and shoulders for drugstore stuff. If it does not respond to that try some neem or tea tree shampoo. At night rub coconut oil into your scalp. It is a natural anti-fungal and conditions skin. Olive oil works well too but it does not smell as nice.

Do you use styling stuff in you hair at all?

Old 12-28-2009, 02:41 PM

5,123 posts, read 9,432,986 times
Prevention of dandruff and dry, itchy skin can sometimes be quite easy. Often dandruff and general dry skin can be alleviated--or ended by adding more Essential Fatty Acids to the diet.

Use a gentle, non-scented, high fat soap for bathing such as Dove for sensitive skin. Mild, unscented shampoo. You can try olive oil or pure coconut oil as a scalp conditioner.

Find EFA's here. Try salmon, tuna and sardines, a couple of Tablespoons of ground flax seeds sprinkled over food or take supplements such as Fish Oil capsules, Evening Primrose Oil capsules, or Flaxseed capsules..after a month or so of ramping up the EFA intake, many notice an end to dandruff, improved hair quality and fingernails stop splitting as much. EFAs give a nice glow to the skin, too.

In the winter, many of us forget to drink enough water. We're not that thirsty. But heated rooms and not enough water can create dry and itchy skin problems. Try for 5-8 8 oz. glasses of plain water or water spiked with lemon or lime juice. Dehydration can cause insomnia, too. Drink up!

Hope this helps. Winter temps and heated, dry indoor spaces can sure take a toll on our skin. Gotta hydrate on the inside as well as the outside.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:43 PM

30,386 posts, read 31,272,362 times
Use anti-dandruff shampoo that has coal tar in it.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:52 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,178,690 times
treating your scalp with apple cider vinegar is an old tried and true (and inexpensive and eco-friendly) remedy.

Here are a few links for you edification.

4 Reasons to Use Apple Cider Vinegar on Your Scalp

Scalp Infection Cures from the Earth Clinic Community.

How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Reduce Dandruff | eHow.com

Old 12-28-2009, 08:13 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,951,750 times
Totally agree with Chava61. I had severe dandruff. Actually, it was probably psoriasis. After trying many lotions, potions, and rain dances, 2 things worked for me. Shampooing with Neutrogena T/Gel shampoo (coal tar). You must use it exactly as directed and you will see results. Also, it will dry your hair out and make it feel like straw so use a good moisturizing conditioner with it. The 2nd thing, oiling my scalp with pure virgin coconut oil. You can get it from the health food store or order it online. I get the Nutiva brand from amazon.com. You can also use the coconut oil all over your body. Its really nice. After suffering 10+ years, my scalp barely even itches now.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:15 AM

7,458 posts, read 11,141,846 times
Thanks all.....I have my own solution its just getting abit old as have to do it every day otherwise I still get it. Use a natural anti dandruff shampoo as well as vinegar through the hair and scalp after that. As I say have to do this every day.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,178,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Thanks all.....I have my own solution its just getting abit old as have to do it every day otherwise I still get it. Use a natural anti dandruff shampoo as well as vinegar through the hair and scalp after that. As I say have to do this every day.
I assume .... i hope ... it's apple cider vinegar that you are using.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:40 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,802,852 times
I'm with Little Dolphin, on the hydrating from the inside out with the good, essential oils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness