U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 AM

454 posts, read 1,206,725 times

Advertisements

hi,
i had a question that you guys may or may not be able to relate to....but i'll try anyway.

i'm 28, healthy, fit, non smoker/drinker male.
for the past decade or so, i've had shooting pains on the left side of my chest on and off. sometimes it happens when i have an argument or fight, sometimes it happens when i'm in a normal state.
i've seen several doctors over the past few years and run a few breathing tests, and they all say that i have a healthy, strong heart.

I wanted to know if anyone can relate. any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:58 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,388,853 times
GP or cardio guy? Have you been checked for ulcers?

Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
GP or cardio guy? Have you been checked for ulcers?
A couple of cardiologists.
i doubt it would be ulcers. symptoms don't fit. i also have never had any blood in stomach....that would have happened most likely in the past 10 years of experiencing this.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:17 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,388,853 times
If it happens in fight and at "normal" times it could be. You don't have to be bleeding to have an ulcer.

Ulcer - Ulcers - Peptic Ulcer Disease

"Your doctor may be able to make an ulcer diagnosis just by talking with you about your symptoms. However, to confirm the diagnosis one of several tests should be taken. First, your doctor may ask you to take an acid-blocking medication such as those used to treat heartburn for a short period of time to see if your symptoms improve."

Have you had your cholesterol checked? Have the looked at your vein health? (blockages can happen at your age)

Old 12-28-2009, 10:18 AM

8,649 posts, read 14,896,188 times
Do the pains ever go down the left arm or do you ever feel a weakness in the left arm? And the pains in the arm don't have to be that bad.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

Have you had your cholesterol checked? Have the looked at your vein health? (blockages can happen at your age)
yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Do the pains ever go down the left arm or do you ever feel a weakness in the left arm? And the pains in the arm don't have to be that bad.
Thankfully No.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
yikes!

Thankfully No.
Don't give up until they find out what is causing it.. It took them over a year to find out that it was my heart and I almost died...Had it not been for my wife telling the Doctors that there was something wrong or I would not be there seeing them..They kept telling me there was nothing wrong and that I was just working to many hours..

Old 12-28-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Don't give up until they find out what is causing it.. It took them over a year to find out that it was my heart and I almost died...Had it not been for my wife telling the Doctors that there was something wrong or I would not be there seeing them..They kept telling me there was nothing wrong and that I was just working to many hours..
what was it?

Old 12-28-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
what was it?
I had had a heart attack and there was damage to my heart.. I was only 49 at the time...I ended up having open heart surgery 3 days after they figured out what was wrong.

I ended up with a Doctor that knew what he was doing...He was I think the fourth one I went to.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:46 AM

I had not been feeling myself for over a year and even went to the Doctor more than once because of that, but he kept telling there was nothing wrong.. I was also having chest pains and weakness in my left arm, that should have been a give away to him that it just might be my heart...LOL...He never did catch on...

The heart attack was caused from blockage..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness