U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-28-2009, 05:41 PM

8,958 posts, read 8,576,286 times

Advertisements

It's about darn time this substance is found out for what it is........cheap harmful junk food.

"A new study indicates that high fructose corn syrup may be the cause of the huge upswing in childhood obesity and diabetes."

High Fructose Corn Syrup Proven to Cause Human Obesity | Food | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 05:56 AM

1,041 posts, read 2,254,482 times
I really try to avoid this stuff, but it's in sooooo many things.If you're a label reader like I am then you know that.I was surprised to find it in my favorite yogurt. I think they began using it regularly back in the 70's because it's cheaper than pure sugar. Apparently,some of the soft drink companies still use sugar in their European markets and even in Mexico. I guess only we Americans will tolerate cheap substitutes that may jeoperdize our nations health.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:57 AM

3,082 posts, read 6,681,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
It's about darn time this substance is found out for what it is........cheap harmful junk food.

"A new study indicates that high fructose corn syrup may be the cause of the huge upswing in childhood obesity and diabetes."

High Fructose Corn Syrup Proven to Cause Human Obesity | Food | AlterNet
Seriously? LOL.

This is like saying "Link Proven Between Eating Sugar and Getting Fat!!!"

It's a high-calorie additive/sweetener, of course it makes you obese! When you drive through the midwest, you'll see endless fields of feedstock corn for the massive factories which pump this stuff out. If we ate right, those fields would be wheat, veggies, sweet corn (edible right off the cob), popcorn, and some pastureland (instead of high-density feedlots). But we don't. Soo... poison fields, poison factories, and death by overprocessed fattness!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 AM

3,394 posts, read 8,149,949 times
I think it is a bit more complex than "high fructose corn syrup" is THE problem.
Table sugar also contains fructose in more than normal natural food proportions.

I gather from this article, fructose does not act on satiety centers the same was as glucose....but you need some fructose as a trigger for glucose metabolism.

This is a bit more in depth article
Carbohydrate metabolism

I work very hard to avoid high fructose corn syrup but sugar is not a "good guy" either. Places you don't think about it like catsup, spaghetti sauce {I have found very few without it and it is hard to find low sodium/low sugar varieties of anything..........sugar and salt trick our taste buds into relishing mediocre food}----

We had an acquaintance whose son was allergic to corn and he basically could eat ZERO processed foods...............

In the days of homemade spaghetti sauce, everyone knew a pinch of sugar could take some of the sting out of the tomatoes, but we also knew that simmering it for a long time could accomplish the same goal.........

I think it all boils down to the fact that we are not designed to eat highly processed foods.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I think it all boils down to the fact that we are not designed to eat highly processed foods.
Sometimes the truth is a simple statement such as this. Well said!

Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 PM

644 posts, read 690,602 times
It causes more than obesity.
It disrupts you cell metabollism.
This has been in the news a lot lately.
Here is an article about the Mercury found in it.
Mercury in Some High Fructose Corn Syrup?

Here is one on the metabolic problems.
Metabolic Dangers of High-Fructose Corn Syrup - Life Extension

Old 01-13-2010, 10:56 PM

2,590 posts, read 6,372,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Sometimes the truth is a simple statement such as this. Well said!
But we are designed to pack tobacco into a pipe, light it on fire and inhale the toxic fumes......got it

Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
But we are designed to pack tobacco into a pipe, light it on fire and inhale the toxic fumes......got it
One does not "inhale" pipe tobacco smoke unless one has the lungs of Superman. Pipe tobacco smoke it much to strong to inhale.

Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-14-2010 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness