Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 12:23 AM

342 posts, read 590,736 times

Advertisements

Iam not scared to die but I do worry about getting old not being able to take care of myself, what about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 12:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I'm counting on living long enough to dye just prior to not being able to care for myself. Not a good plan, but I can only hope it all works out. Worrying won't help.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:14 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,425 times
nope,don't worry about that.I try REALLY hard to live life in the present[a new years resolution about 10 years ago] I got tired of worrying about things both in the past and the future. I take excellent care of myself in all ways, plan to live long and strong, and always be a fighter. Beyond that, we all need help from loved ones too.Hopefully you have people in your life to count on should you need it.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:18 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee22 View Post
Iam not scared to die but I do worry about getting old not being able to take care of myself, what about you?
You need to learn and fully understand this term....... Carpe diem

For in this simple statement is the key to a good worry free life.

Carpe diem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-24-2009, 12:36 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Worry about getting old? Why? There's nothing you can do about it short of eating the business end of a shotgun. (which I wouldn't recommend)

Jesus said to give no thought to tomorrow and that's fine with me. It belongs to God anyhow, not you and I.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:18 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
I don't worry about getting old, per se. I worry about having a severe stroke that will leave me unable to communicate or move, though. (Yes, I'm weird; give me a catastrophic scenario, and I'll find a way to think/worry about it!)

Old 12-25-2009, 04:17 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
No one wants to be a vegetable or be a burden to the family. Unfortunately, it somtimes works out that way.
I have a bil that is dying from ALS. A horrible disease. He has pretty much lost the use of his arms and now his legs are getting very weak. His ability to swallow is getting very difficult. There will come a time when he won't even be able to clean himself after a body waste function or brush his teeth or feed his self.
My sil will have to do all of that for him. And knowing her, she will do it untill the point of exhaustion and then keep on doing it.
This is a guy who never slept more than 6 hours a night and was always doing something the other 18 hours of a day except for maybe some relaxing moments in late evening.
He is crushed because he knows he is dying but even more so because he can't do anything. He was always a do anything person and now he can't be what he always has been.
Some of us live to be in our 90's and stay functional untill a heart attack or whatever takes us suddenly.
Some have strokes or other debilitating things happen that can let them live for years but can't take care of personal needs.
We don't know what tomorrrow or next week or next year has in store for us.
Maybe that is why I still ride a motorcycle at almost 63 yrs old.
It is definitely why I tell my wife everyday that I love her.
It doesn't do any good to fear old age or the fact that we are mortal beings that won't be here forever.
I believe in doing whatever I enjoy and am still capable of doing for as long as I can do it.
Worrying about the future wont change the future. Whatever is destined to be will be.
That is why we need to enjoy today and make the the most of whatever time we have left.
Young people have a tendency to feel immortal, like I did years ago, but when you get older you realize time can run out pretty quick or maybe if your lucky you may around for awhile. I don't know if I'll die next week or 20 yrs from now or become a burden to my family.
However it works out, I am going to try to enjoy being a functional person for as long as I am capable of being one.
Sitting around thinking and worrying about what may be in the future won't change what will happen.
I may be in the autumn of my years as far as life spans go, but not all the leaves have fallen yet.
I won't worry about the branches being bare untill the last leaf falls.
I've rode motorcycles for over 40 years and never got hurt. Maybe next summer someone will make a left turn in front of me and cause a fatal injury. Maybe I'll have a fatal heart attack tomorrow. Whatever the end will be, I am going to LIVE untill I can't. Thinking about it is just depressing. So why not just enjoy today.
Besides, every year I've lived since I was in the Army back in the mid 1960's have been bonus years anyway. I feel lucky to have had a good life. I plan to live the rest of it and not worry about the end of it. I can't change the end part. But I still plan for tomorrow just in case I'm still here.
When the time does come I want to go quick. I don't want to lay around for months or years with no dignity and having someone take care of things I can't take care of.
Sorry for the long post but seeing my brother-in law who is such a good person go through what he is going through makes me even more determined to live everyday to the fullest.
Twelve months ago he was as strong as a bull. Now he can barely feed himself.
So sad. That was a hard reality hit for all of us in the family. I feel so sorry for his wife (my wifes twin sister), she tries to encourage him and keep his spirits up while her own heart is breaking.
No matter how it goes both him and I are very lucky to have been married to these twins that are the most caring, loving wives that anyone could ever have.
I've rambled on too long and kind of got off subject.
Didn't mean to be a bore. Just kinda got carried away because I hate to see a good man dying too soon.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
I had three MAJOR surgeries in three years when I was in my early 30's. For the last one my parents actually called the priest. That was 20 plus years ago.

I have no fears of being sick and getting old. I've been sick and it's a blessing to be growing old. Because I came real close to not getting that experience.

I live in the moment. I appreciate every single day. I go outside when the wind is blowing to smell the air. I wait for Orion to come every winter. I stop and think, "I am living this right now". I always look at babies in their strollers. I spoil my favorite newphew. I pray. I give my cats extra treats. I blow kisses at firemen. I hold doors for people. I cheer like a woman posessed for the Arizona Cardinals. (O.K. Being a Cardinals fans actually takes years off your life.)

I live every single day knowing that tomorrow is not promised to me.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:01 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
My dad is dying of Diffuse Lewy Body Disease. Watching him go through this, I am terrified. I don't want to be a burden on my family.

I live for today, but can't help but fear for tomorrow.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You need to learn and fully understand this term....... Carpe diem

For in this simple statement is the key to a good worry free life.

Carpe diem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
carpe diem, sieze the day, not very passive, romans weren't were they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness