Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:16 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,586,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Are you in an area with a health food store?
There are a number of excellent shampoos that are free of so many ingredients that damage both your scalp and hair.
Nope not really, but I have access to two supermarkets an hour away with sizable organic/health food sections. I should probably look closer at what they have, but I've been buying the Avalon Organics and despite trying them several times they seem to irritate my skin and scalp quite a bit. I thought I'd try to get some recommendations and then go from there. I don't mind buying online either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:10 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,693,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Nope not really, but I have access to two supermarkets an hour away with sizable organic/health food sections. I should probably look closer at what they have, but I've been buying the Avalon Organics and despite trying them several times they seem to irritate my skin and scalp quite a bit. I thought I'd try to get some recommendations and then go from there. I don't mind buying online either.
I'll say first that if you want a good shampoo and/or conditioner that doesn't have all the harmful junk in it, you're going to have to spend some more money.
There are some relatively good brands at the health food stores that are not so expensive but, in general, you pay for the better hair care products.
Or at least i do.
I've tried zillions of different brands over the past 30 years.
If you have specific hair issues you may want to post them.
Even though it's good that supermarkets are carrying some natural and/or organic products now, generally they don't carry the best lines of things like shampoos. They tend to carry the less expensive products (which is good) but if you're willing and able to spend a bit more for a better product then the super market probably isn't your best bet ... imo.

Aubrey makes some excellent hair care products.
I've used their shampoos on and off for many years.
Aubrey Organics - Natural Hair Care, Natural Skin Care and Natural Body Care

Every thing by Dr. Hauschka is expensive and all of their products are amazing ... very fine.
drhauschka.com

This is Wen hair care.
It's not a typical shampoo but rather a "cleansing conditioner".
It's expensive although i don't use as much as they recommend and i also don't wash my hair everyday so a 16oz. bottle lasts me a good long time.
There are knock-offs but they're are not as good.
I love the Lavender and the Sweet Almond Mint.
It's kinda like washing your hair with a conditioner (and it does de-tangle) but once you get used to it, it feels great and doesn't strip your hair / scalp.
Amazon.com: Wen hair care

Last edited by coyoteskye; 12-29-2009 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 05:18 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,693,574 times
Quote:
Have to say I am getting a bit frustrated with shampoo. It bothers me to put something on my head with a list of 30 ingredients, most of which is 20 letter long chemicals. Even the "organics" I come across are filled with that crap.

Can anyone recommend a good shampoo that isn't filled with all that garbage? I'm having a hard time finding one.
I have to share this.
It is expensive but .... like that old Loreal commercial sais, "because i'm worth it"
Also, one of the things i do is to buy a expensive shampoo like this one but use it just a couple of times a week and then, if i need to shampoo more than that, i'll use a good but less expensive one.
I got a little sample of this when purchasing my usual Dr. Hauschka skin care products the other day.
They have a few shampoos but this one ... Apricot and Sea Buckthorn ...
i love, love, love this shampoo!!!
It's for dry and/or damaged hair which, particularly during the winter, mine is.
I used a different Dr H. shampoo sometime in the last year and it was great (like all Dr. Hauschka products) but this one is super, duper ... i suppose 'cause it's most appropriate for my dry hair needs.
DrHauschka Apricot and Sea Buckthorn Shampoo

Old 01-11-2010, 01:07 AM

648 posts, read 1,169,894 times
Try Nature's Gate Herbal Daily Shampoo. Been using it for years.... smells heavenly.. it was the only one I've seen that actually had myrrh in it. The formula changed recently.. but amazingly, it's close enough to the old formula that I still love it. (no myrrh anymore, but it still smells very similar). It does have a few chemical ingredients towards the end of the list, but most of it is natural. For conditioner, the Awapuhi or Jojoba are both great. You can get it at health food stores (and now some regular groc stores, in their health food section).. and it's Made in the USA...!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:05 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,298,125 times
14 years ago I had a skin condition and to narrow down what it could be, the dermatologist told me to stop using my shampoo for a week and stop shaving. He gave me a special soap to wash my face with and this shampoo:

DHS Clear Shampoo at DermStore

I've been using it ever since because I find it very mild and my hair looks great. Even it has some of what you complain about though.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:40 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,172,596 times
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/res...hismatters.php

If the ingredient's name is big it can really matter. That is unless you dont think making babies into women chemically matters....
"these same extracts in cosmetics give the body a slug of hormones that may be enough to spur breast growth in toddlers according to a few recent case studies."

Certain "soaps" are made to be used as shampoo and don't leave residue like others. I like dr. bronners liquid and bar. It can be used as a head and body wash just like those expensive 3 in 1's that philosphy makes. I think bronners gives me a better lather and less residue. (tea tree, mint and unscented ones anyway)

You can search for whatever product on that skin deep site. You will see that some long names are just the way to write natural ings. They sometimes do that on labels instead.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:54 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,333,726 times
Quote:
Have to say I am getting a bit frustrated with shampoo. It bothers me to put something on my head with a list of 30 ingredients, most of which is 20 letter long chemicals. Even the "organics" I come across are filled with that crap.

Can anyone recommend a good shampoo that isn't filled with all that garbage? I'm having a hard time finding one.
One of the most interesting companies I've encountered is Morrocco Method.
They have strictly raw, vegan and organic ingredients in their shampoos and all other hair products and they use the 5 elements method. They are not cheap, but people swear by them!!! They are truly raw and organic in comparison to every other shampoo I've encountered, but I simply do not have the patience for them. Perhaps you may like it:

https://morroccomethod.com/shampoos

I personally like Aubrey Organics

Blue Camomile Hydrating Shampoo 11oz

Old 01-11-2010, 02:00 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,863,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
What cricket said.

I love Lush Godiva shampoo bars and American Cream conditioner.
They have products for blokes too.

AND they're forever giving out the free sample when you buy.

My last visit at the Natick Mall store I came away with a huge bottle of Fairy Floss shower gel and some milky bar soap for free. You can buy online also.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:21 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,333,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
What cricket said.

I love Lush Godiva shampoo bars and American Cream conditioner.
They have products for blokes too.

AND they're forever giving out the free sample when you buy.

My last visit at the Natick Mall store I came away with a huge bottle of Fairy Floss shower gel and some milky bar soap for free. You can buy online also.
Hey, I checked out the site and looks interesting! I never used shampoo bars before. Why did you pick Godiva? Is it your favorite?

Old 01-11-2010, 03:04 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,863,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Hey, I checked out the site and looks interesting! I never used shampoo bars before. Why did you pick Godiva? Is it your favorite?
I was really nervous about trying it for the first time and more than a little skeptical to be honest. I was looking for something I could travel with that was multi purpose and I guess it interested me because of the Jasmine fragrance. It's the only one of theirs I've tried so far as I lucked onto the right one for me the first time I guess. I alternate between the Godiva shampoo bar (with the American Cream conditioner) and Ginger Shampoo and Honey Conditioner from The Body Shop. I use very little of both products because you really don't need a lot so they last a good while.

I do use a lot of other Lush products as well.

I'm a huge fan of their Celestial moisturizer (it's the only moisturizer I use except for the occasional use of The Body Shop's Vitamin E moisturizer with SPF 15 if I'm going to be somewhere sunny, like Queensland.)

I also LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! their Sympathy For Skin body lotion. It's so magical and it smells so good I could EAT IT!

I use their Lemony Flutter hand and cuticle cream (on my feet too), the Ma Bar bubble bath bar is to die for and I'm a huge fan of their Buffy (the butt slayer) Bar which really does seem to improve the skin in that area and I love their Soft Coeur massage bar with the chocolaty goodness centre. MM really loves it too. Their fresh face masks are wonderful and I buy the Crash Course In Skincare mask fairly regularly especially over Summer. I use Coal Face to clean my face in the shower and I recently bought the Coco Lotion because the girl in the shop said that her friend had tried it and swore it helped clear up the keratosis pilaris on her arms. AND she was RIGHT!! It does!

Perhaps it's not for everyone but I've sampled a lot of their products (as they seem to send me home with free samples every time I go in there, something I really love about the place & it doesn't seem to matter which store either as I've been given samples at almost ALL the stores I've visited in Oz & here in the US too! That along with the minimal packaging, their ethical stance in terms of their products and their business AND their charitable work AND fabulous products all add up for me.) and I have gradually become a massive fan of their products. Something I never thought would happen because I'm not one for singing the praises of cosmetics companies to be frank.

Anyway I'm happy with their stuff (I should get a commission for all the people I've converted to their products though ) and I recommend people check them out for themselves to see what they think. For me it's been well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness