U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:11 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,736,287 times

Advertisements

Moonshadow, thanks for bringing Lush to everyone's mind. I'm digging their website and saved it as a favorite. My hubby and I are trying for our first baby and I'm just so paranoid about all the chemicals we come in contact with daily. I use henna to color my hair, so I'm good there, but I'm really interested in trying some of the Lush products available on their website. They do owe you some big-time commissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 03:34 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,195,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
Moonshadow, thanks for bringing Lush to everyone's mind. I'm digging their website and saved it as a favorite. My hubby and I are trying for our first baby and I'm just so paranoid about all the chemicals we come in contact with daily. I use henna to color my hair, so I'm good there, but I'm really interested in trying some of the Lush products available on their website. They do owe you some big-time commissions.
You're most welcome. (Although it was cricket factor who first mentioned it on this thread. )

It's a bit of a laugh amongst my family and friends because we have had a Lush store at my local mall for many years and I couldn't go in there for the longest time because the smell was overwhelming to me and always made me sneeze or get watery eyes. Then I got to talking amongst some friends and we hatched a plan where I would go in and pick up one thing and smell it and see if that settled everything down and it did. SO I went from being the person that always went Lush! to the person who raves on about the stuff endlessly to anyone who will listen.

As to the shampoo well it seems like I have spent the better part of a King's Ransom trying to find shampoo that didn't irritate my scalp but that would also keep my hair soft and in good condition. If there's a shampoo product believe me, I've tried it. The bathroom cupboard is still full of epic (and costly) fails. When I first came across the shampoo bars I was really negative about them and more than just a little bit over the "claims" but I'm really happy with the Godiva. It doesn't irritate my scalp, keeps my hair soft and looking shiny AND it smells really lovely too. (Well if MM's constant sniffing of my head is anything to go by! )

They have henna at Lush also. My Mum & my cousin have been using it for years. It's the only brand they buy.

I guess my only disappointment is they don't really do make-up. I wish they would.

Anyway good luck with the bub!

Old 01-20-2010, 12:18 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,042,905 times
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. After a lot of research I decided to try the Lush brand and their solid bar shampoos. We'll see how that goes.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,194,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. After a lot of research I decided to try the Lush brand and their solid bar shampoos. We'll see how that goes.
Here's one more suggestion: SOMA Hair Technology

Old 01-20-2010, 02:15 PM

725 posts, read 1,324,409 times
We need to write to the producers of these products and object.

Are you aware that all products that have that Pearlescent appearnce get thatt way because it contains Aluminum Flakes?
Yes, even those shimmering Candies and Cake Frostings get their shimmer from Aluminum Flakes.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:28 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,859,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Have to say I am getting a bit frustrated with shampoo. It bothers me to put something on my head with a list of 30 ingredients, most of which is 20 letter long chemicals. Even the "organics" I come across are filled with that crap.

Can anyone recommend a good shampoo that isn't filled with all that garbage? I'm having a hard time finding one.
What is wrong with the chemicals?
What makes you think the chemicals are bad?

Just buy one of the cheapest shampoos at Costco or wherever. They are all about the same. Only suckers spend more than is necessary.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:12 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,388,500 times
This is the most awesome shampoo on the face of the Earth. It smells good and it makes your hair super shiny.

Zion Health Adama, Clay Minerals Shampoo, 16 oz (473 ml)

Old 12-08-2011, 08:30 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,671,678 times
Look in the laundry soap section of your supermarket for one-pound bars of Zote or Lirio soap from Mexico. It's very close to pure soap, only about a dollar, it has no chemicals in it. My ex, who was a hairdresser, used it on her own hair, said it was the best she had ever seen.

For a long time, I used Lava soap for shampoo, but I like to use the same bar for both shave and shampoos, and Lava was dulling my razors.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:35 AM

233 posts, read 646,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
This is the most awesome shampoo on the face of the Earth. It smells good and it makes your hair super shiny.

Zion Health Adama, Clay Minerals Shampoo, 16 oz (473 ml)
I would try this for 8 dollars...

As someone who struggled with dandruff since I was in about 6th grade (crazy) I often noticed that shampoo would exacerbate the condition...if I did not wash my hair it wouldnt be bad...but as soon as I washed it SHAZAM..back...

so now I make my own shampoo and my hair feels awesome!

-tea tree oil
-acv (probably most important)
-olive oil
-lemon
-vitamin e
-aloe
-honey
-vanilla

i also use this as a face wash / mask and my face has never felt so soft and beautiful

i have used just pure acv in my hair before and i just dowse my hair in it and let it soak for about 30 min...swear nothing ever eliminated dandruff and made my hair feel so good as that... but add in all of these other natural ingredients and i guarantee this product cant be beat...

best of all it is mostly cheap.. nothing is crazy expensive here just make sure when you buy to try and get the highest quality ingredients

acv i buy bragg
lemon do not buy lemon juice
vitamin e make sure its natural and not synthetic
aloe is tricky bc most of the time it has about 2093209 ingredients
honey i buy real honey - dont get the one with the bear
vanilla same thing do not buy the imitation although i dont think it makes that much of a difference, i mainly use this as a scent

its amazing that it is so difficult to just buy products that do not have 2203909 chemicals in em.. eh?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 AM

17,860 posts, read 3,604,954 times
Check out:

burtsbees.com

for dozens of personal products, including shampoos, made with natural ingredients and no animal testing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness