U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:23 AM

2,185 posts, read 3,888,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Although I'm sure you are aware, I want to elaborate for others who may not be:

A visit by an anesthesiologist does not mean the anesthesiologist will be the one administering the anesthesia. And often patients are often unaware that the pre-surgery visit they receive from the anesthesia department isn't an anesthesiologist but a CRNA. Typically (where I live), various CRNAs administer anesthesia in the various operating rooms with one or two anesthesiologists on the operating room floor in case of an emergency in one of the operating rooms. However, a patient does have a right to request an anesthesiologist to be the one who administers and monitors the anesthesia throughout the entire surgery.

On a side note, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable demanding an anesthesiologist to be present throughout my entire surgery. I wouldn't want someone who doesn't want to be there doing the job. The reality is that CRNAs who have been administering anesthesia for many years often have more experience (hours administering anesthesia) than some anesthesiologists because anesthesiologists are often in a supervisory roll at many hospitals. Of course, this all depends on the specific hospital, heathcare system or region of the country.

Why would you dig up old posts about my family members when I'm sharing about the death of a sister?

I'll answer your inappropriate question anyway:

----It's possible to have multiple siblings, which I do. I have more than one sibling (brothers and sisters) still alive, but only one sister and myself doesn't have diabetes.

----It's irrelevant that I failed to list every family member in my family in the quote you chose. I was merely providing a quick example that I was discussing members outside of my immediate family that included uncles an cousins too. Heck, I even failed to mention grandparents, but that doesn't mean that I don't have grandparents. Everyone has grandparents somewhere---even people born in test tubes.

----The sister who died due to anesthesia complications after having a hysterectomy didn't have diabetes. She died approximately 15 years ago. If she had lived longer, she most likely would have developed diabetes because she was overweight. The sentence you quoted was discussing present tense, not the status of diabetes in my family 15 years ago. And it wasn't all inclusive because there are many other family members not listed who have diabetes.

For the record, all of my family members on one side of my family has died due to complications of diabetes, except for those who died in accidental death type deaths. The rest of my living relatives on that side of the family and my immediate family all have diabetes except for me and one sister.

This isn't a legal document, but merely an attempt to provide some clarification so the above explanation may not be entirely inclusive of all family members.

I can't imagine someone challenging the validity of a family member's death, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you are the OP, and you are extra concerned because you will be having the type of surgery my sister had. I don't want to provide more information publicly here because deaths from hysterectomy are so rare someone might be able to figure out who my sister was based on what I've already shared. If you want more information, you're welcome to contact me via DM.

Not old posts, was last week in this forum! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 11:28 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Not old posts, was last week in this forum! lol
Even if I posted it yesterday, my detailed explanation provides clarification.

As I said, if you want more detailed information about my sister, please contact me via DM.

There are newspaper articles about her death, and I could dig them up in the archives or search my attic and scan them for you.

And I'm not sure why you think this is funny.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:43 AM

FYI, I have found the newspaper articles in google news archives. I can send you a link via DM if you would like.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Even if I posted it yesterday, my detailed explanation provides clarification.

As I said, if you want more detailed information about my sister, please contact me via DM.

There are newspaper articles about her death, and I could dig them up in the archives or search my attic and scan them for you.

And I'm not sure why you think this is funny.

I think it's funny that you stated it was an old post when it was just posted a few days ago in this very forum. But I do find it distasteful how to choose ro reply in this thread. First, your sister died from having general... then I mention the procedure and oh yeah she died from the very same procedure! True or not, most people would have just not even bothered to post it.

All I said was you mentioned all your family members except your sister who is deceased, same as your parents. The sister who passed away having the same surgery.

For the record, I am not that scared, of course I am concerned a little. but more worried about recovery from both surgeries vs the general anthesia.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:12 PM

I guess most people wouldn't have bothered to post it just like most people wouldn't have searched previous threads and challenged the validity of the death of a relative.

I can't understand why anyone would look back on ANY previous posts (all old) when someone is discussing the death of a relative. But let's forget it and move on.

I'm not sure how it's distasteful to increase relavant information as you provided more details.

My posts were no different than yours---first sharing less details, then sharing more details.

It's entirely relevant what type of surgery she had after hearing what type you were planning to have.

There's so much more I could have shared, that I didn't.

For instance, after autopsy, it was discovered that my sister didn't even have the disease the hysterectomy was being performed to correct.

But I'm not upset with you. I'm still giving you the benefit of the doubt---scared, concerned or worried, whatever.

For recovering from surgery and anethesia, my best advice is to ensure the nurses check your vitals regularly after you are discharged from the recovery room.

My sister's life could have been saved if there had been better monitoring after she left the recovery room and was in her her hospital room

I'm sharing all of this to help you face your worries with important information as you share more information yourself.

I'm not trying to scare you and I most certainly don't want to fight with you.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:30 PM

I didn't bother to read your whole post. This is not about your sister and you are upsetting me. Please just stay on topic.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I didn't bother to read your whole post. This is not about your sister and you are upsetting me. Please just stay on topic.
I'm not meaning to upset you. I'm sharing information about surgery and anesthesia relevant to your questions and posts.

This is the most important part of the last post concerning recovery from surgery and anesthesia:

Quote:
For recovering from surgery and anethesia, my best advice is to ensure the nurses check your vitals regularly after you are discharged from the recovery room.

My sister's life could have been saved if there had been better monitoring after she left the recovery room and was in her her hospital room.
(btw, you're the one who made this about my sister when you challenged my posts. I didn't share lots of details because I was keeping it relevant to what you shared.)

Old 01-03-2010, 11:28 AM

5,273 posts, read 6,394,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
when people die in surgery 80% of the time it is related to the anesthesia---in order to cut costs most hospitals use lesser trained certified (supposedly)nurse anesthetists--upping the risk of an anesthesia issue---insist on yours being ADMINISTERED NOT SUPERVISED BY AN MD
Holy crud? 80 percent????????????????????????????? I just had twilight and then another form just before the general anesthesia...Whew, I told the anesthesiologist to have mercy on me LOL>>and said a prayer before I went under lol.. I asked how long he was doing this for..he said 25 years and loves it....... I had an outpatient, elective surgery and 10 das later a colonoscopy..but that was twilight., either case I did have the anest. talk to me BEFORE each procedure. Most are very competent or they wouldn't be in the field.

OMG, Hope. I am so sorry about your sister. How awful.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:33 AM

4,152 posts, read 9,578,000 times
I don't know where you people are getting your "stats" but here cupcake:

Anesthesia-Risks and Complications

Serious side effects of general anesthesia are uncommon in people who are otherwise healthy. But because general anesthesia affects the whole body, it is more likely to cause side effects than local or regional anesthesia. Fortunately, most side effects of general anesthesia are minor and can be easily managed.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I don't know where you people are getting your "stats" but here cupcake:

Anesthesia-Risks and Complications

Serious side effects of general anesthesia are uncommon in people who are otherwise healthy. But because general anesthesia affects the whole body, it is more likely to cause side effects than local or regional anesthesia. Fortunately, most side effects of general anesthesia are minor and can be easily managed.
The second page of your link has the exact same stats I posted earlier for general anesthesia deaths: 1 in 250,000

Quote:
Death occurs in about 1 in 250,000 people receiving general anesthesia, although risks are greater for those people with serious medical conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness