U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:30 PM

5,273 posts, read 6,394,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The second page of your link has the exact same stats I posted earlier for general anesthesia deaths: 1 in 250,000
I remember talking to Anesthesiologist and he told me as long as I was healthy I will be fine!no underlying problems,.etc..

I don't think anyone would be getting surgery and going under anesthesia if 80 percent of people were succumbing to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 12:38 PM

4,152 posts, read 9,578,000 times
Quote:
The second page of your link has the exact same stats I posted earlier for general anesthesia deaths: 1 in 250,000
Yes, but you left out the entire context in which it was written:

Death or serious illness or injury due solely to anesthesia is rare and is usually also related to complications from the surgery.
Death occurs in about 1 in 250,000 people receiving general anesthesia, although risks are greater for those people with serious medical conditions

Context is key and offering the full link to the texts is critical. You offer more hysteria than help sometimes.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Holy crud? 80 percent????????????????????????????? I just had twilight and then another form just before the general anesthesia...
Quote:
I don't think anyone would be getting surgery and going under anesthesia if 80 percent of people were succumbing to it!
Auntianne didn't say that 80% of people having surgery or anesthesia die. She said that out of the people who die having surgery, 80% of the deaths were anesthesia related ---- as opposed to the other 20% who died having surgery died due to other complications. That 80% is of the dead people, not 80% of total people having surgeries.

Quote:
OMG, Hope. I am so sorry about your sister. How awful.
Awe, thanks for your kind words, njsocks. It was a long time ago. Still amazes me today that she's not here to be an aunt and sister. She was sooooo young!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Yes, but you left out the entire context in which it was written:

Death or serious illness or injury due solely to anesthesia is rare and is usually also related to complications from the surgery.
Death occurs in about 1 in 250,000 people receiving general anesthesia, although risks are greater for those people with serious medical conditions

Context is key and offering the full link to the texts is critical. You offer more hysteria than help sometimes.
I merely posted the specific sentence to show where the actual stats were located in the link. (Stats are numbers.) I thought you may have missed the second page.

Afterall, how could I not think you missed it when you were challenging previous stats and your link had the same stats?

Old 01-03-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:

I merely posted the specific sentence to show where the actual stats were located in the link. (Stats are numbers.) I thought you may have missed the second page.

Afterall, how could I not think you missed it when you were challenging previous stats and your link had the same stats?
Bottom line is, no one here has bothered to link to any specific information, just stats pulled from the ether, as if! ...which is NOT helpful, but in fact hurtful.
Quoting stats from sources is great, but,
sources should be linked and referenced.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:30 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Quote:
Bottom line is, no one here has bothered to link to any specific information, just stats pulled from the ether, as if! ...which is NOT helpful, but in fact hurtful.

You know. Not every piece of information in the UNIVERSE comes off the internet. Some people still READ BOOKS, (and magazines and medical journals), you know. It's rather difficult to post a LINK to a book.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-03-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You know. Not every piece of information in the UNIVERSE comes off the internet. Some people still READ BOOKS, (and magazines and medical journals), you know. It's rather difficult to post a LINK to a book.

20yrsinBranson

Yes, but the book, magazine or medical journal can easily be referenced. It can be called a citation or a footnote if you like depending on how you do it. But just do it!

Old 01-03-2010, 03:58 PM

223 posts, read 502,594 times
Quote:
All I am saying is that in about 99 percent of the cases where surgery is indicated can be corrected without surgery.
Quote:
Some people still READ BOOKS, (and magazines and medical journals), you know.
Really??? In which medical journal did you read this statistic?

Last edited by Alf_Rocks; 01-03-2010 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: removed a snarky comment

Old 01-04-2010, 12:39 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, but the book, magazine or medical journal can easily be referenced. It can be called a citation or a footnote if you like depending on how you do it. But just do it!
I want to personally thank you for bothering to validate the statistics I posted earlier.

I sometimes forget that others can be incapable of using google search to research topics themselves.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 AM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Rocks View Post
Really??? In which medical journal did you read this statistic?
Well it sure wasn't the "Surgeons Compendium of Unnecessary Procedures to Pay of the Condo in Burmuda" Journal, I can tell you that.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-04-2010, 10:02 AM

10,089 posts, read 10,604,044 times
Do not be scared away from this. It is not accurate to say that general anesthesia is a "crap shoot".

"[D]ue to the introduction of sophisticated monitoring devices, better training, understanding of the physiologic effects of anesthetics and better transmission of information concerning causes of anesthesia mortality, the mortality rate has fallen into the range of 5-6 deaths/million anesthetic administrations."
Mortality Associated with Anesthesia - Anesthesiology expert article by Henry Rosenberg, M.D., Professor ofAnesthesiology, Thomas Jefferson University

If you are concerned about the risks associated with anesthesia you should talk to your doctor, both your surgeon and your anesthesiologist, specifically about the risks, any existing conditions you may have that would increase your risks, and what they recommend. Then you can make an informed decision.

Given the low, and constantly declining, incidence of mortality, this should be considered a very safe procedure. I do not minimize the pain that posters whose relatives have died in surgery have suffered, but that should not cause you to overestimate the risk you face.

By the way, my history of general anesthesia goes back to about 1960, when I had my tonsils out (and they dripped ether in my eye and I lost vision in one eye for a while) to about a year ago, when I had rotator cuff surgery. As I was coming out of anesthesia they told me that they had gotten my right shoulder all fixed up and my first words out of anesthesia were, "What?? You did the right shoulder???"

Last edited by jackmccullough; 01-04-2010 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness