U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:53 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
By the way, my history of general anesthesia goes back to about 1960, when I had my tonsils out (and they dripped ether in my eye and I lost vision in one eye for a while) to about a year ago, when I had rotator cuff surgery. As I was coming out of anesthesia they told me that they had gotten my right shoulder all fixed up and my first words out of anesthesia were, "What?? You did the right shoulder???"
That's a funny story---you joking with them so soon! I also have had multiple surgeries spanning 30 years from the 60s into the 90s. I don't know what type of anesthesia they gave me for my first surgery (I was only 7 or 8 maybe) when I got my tonsils out, but it was MAGICAL. I was staring at the big bright light above the operating table. They told me to count backwards from 100. When I got to 90, everything went psychedelic and suddenly there were all these vivid, amazing colors. I remember saying, "92, 94...91.....WOOOOOOW.........." I don't remember a thing after that, but I'll never forget THAT moment. WOW was an understatement. No wonder people get addicted to drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 PM

14,695 posts, read 18,753,541 times
My own sister died having a low risk, routine procedure. It was a simple surgery that people don't normally die from. Her cause of death was directly related to the anesthesia.

I'm so sorry, hopes. I cant begin to imagine your family's pain. I've gone under general anesthesia many times with no problem but I always worry.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:27 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,729,148 times
I think that general anesthesia has come a long, long way. When I was a teen, I had to have my eardrum reconstructed via a lengthy surgery. It was horrible. I had severe nausea for 2 weeks afterward. Imagine vomiting uncontrollably with your entire head wrapped in gauze. The next ear surgery I needed, I was in my twenties and elected to go without anesthesia. The surgery was much simpler, and I suffered no ill effects. I didn't have general anesthesia again until I was 33. That was the best general anesthesia experience I've ever had. The anesthesiologist said because all my past experiences involved ear surgeries, that my opinion of general anesthesia was soured. Ear surgeries result in nausea and vomiting more. During my surgery last year, I was given propofol (yes the stuff that killed Michael Jackson), had a 5 hour surgery and woke up without a hint of nausea (but they gave me Pepcid for 48 hours just incase). I'm assuming that you have had your surgery by now and hope everything went well. I believe that general anesthesia is beneficial and necessary when used and monitored properly. I would not undergo elective surgeries unless the need was greater than the risk.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:53 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I'm so sorry, hopes. I cant begin to imagine your family's pain. I've gone under general anesthesia many times with no problem but I always worry.
I appreciate your kind words, texasfirewheel. I've been under general anesthesia many times too. I never had time to think about it because my surgeries were always emergencies (except for the tonsils, but I was 7 so I sure didn't even think about risks then.) After losing my sister, I wouldn't casually have an elective surgery unless it would significantly improve my quality of life (i.e., help me walk if I were wheelchair bound.) My sister's tragedy really changed my perspective; however, I would still have necessary surgeries because I realize the risk is minimal. I just don't think I should add to the odds by having unnecessary surgeries. Afterall, I've had 7 emergency surgeries in my life already. Why add unnecessarily to that?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:34 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,139,378 times
I've gone through many necessary though not emergency procedures under general anesthesia and have had no adverse results. We don't really have that much of a choice on anesthesiologists as for the most part, the facility chooses them when you go in for surgery. However, I think that you can minimize risk by declaring all of your medications and conditions, as well as following strictly to the letter, the pre-surgery instructions, esp. those that require no food or drink after a certain time. While working for an insurance company years ago, we did a study on anesthesiologists and what we found was that within their professional group, a movement has been instituted to be more transparent with their errors, instead of covering them up. This was a way for them to improve outcomes and therefore reduce their malpractice insurance premiums. From what I understand, anesthesiologists have significantly reduced their errors and therefore premiums and continue to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness