U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:10 AM

9,444 posts, read 14,981,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I'm wondering how many of you guys realize that there has never been a shred of evidence to support the old "you should drink 8 glasses of water a day" adage? The original study, believe it or not, that spawned that myth was conducted waaaay back in the 1940's! And it was so limited--about three dozen participants if I recall--so as to render ti all but meaningless. I see people at the gym everyday where I work carrying around half-gallons jugs. They think they are being healthy, but pure and simply, they are usually over-hydrating. Young women seem to be the worst. Maybe they drink all that water so as to curb their appetite? Anyway, it's very unecessary.
Bottom line: all you gott do is drink when you're thirst and watch your salt intake. And don't drink too many diuretics, like coffee and coke. You'll be fine.
Actually the water intake has a lot to do with person's weight and lifestyle. Someone who excercises daily will need more fluids than someone who doesn't. A 5'1 girl will need a lot less than a 6'2 male. Also, as you mentioned, if someone drinks diuretics drinks like coffee and coke, they will need even more water to balance it out. Coffee dehydrates you.

All in all, I agree with you. Too much water actually messes with your electrolytes. And no carbonated water for me either, no thanks. Finally, if one will be drinking water, the least they can do is to make sure it's filtered with a good carbon-block filter.

The rule of thumb is to have a tall glass of water in the morning before any other liquid or food intake. Drink water in between meals, NOT with your meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 11:26 AM

14,523 posts, read 7,361,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't normally post in this section, but decided to share with you a couple of articles because I was shocked to find out how many problems dehydration may cause.

I don't like water and never felt the need for it. Up until a few months ago I hardly drank any and figured I get enough of it in the form of soda, juice, beer, etc. I may very well be paying for this ignorance now and it'd be good to save at least one idiot like me!
I don't particularly like plain water either, so what I do is add 1-2 drops of liquid Stevia to each glass. . .this helps so much!

And my Chiropractor/Naturopath says that anything like coffee, cokes, etc that is a diuretic actually counts as 'Negative Water' and that I need to add two glasses of water for every glass or cup of coffee. . She's kind of a tyrant about this, but in the nicest way. . .

Try the Stevia, Sierra, and see if it helps. Or make Lemon Water. Anything to get the water down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness