U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:43 AM

42,837 posts, read 77,122,397 times

Advertisements

I don't normally post in this section, but decided to share with you a couple of articles because I was shocked to find out how many problems dehydration may cause.

I don't like water and never felt the need for it. Up until a few months ago I hardly drank any and figured I get enough of it in the form of soda, juice, beer, etc. I may very well be paying for this ignorance now and it'd be good to save at least one idiot like me!

Dehydration Can Cause Chronic Pain and Many Degenerative Diseases.

Asthma, Lupus & Water | ENCOGNITIVE.COM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 01:10 PM

244 posts, read 771,957 times
Thank you for that information. I know I don't drink enough fluids (water in particular) and that I'm always dehydrated. I had a Naturopath tell me that when I went to her years back. I do have a few of the chronic problems listed in that article.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:04 PM

19,634 posts, read 53,495,108 times
I get leg cramps when I don't drink enough water, usually rousing me from sleep with a very painful charley horse. Other times my fingers cramp up. So these days, I am very careful about spacing out my water druing the day. I never knew why I got such bad leg cramps until a friend who is an outdoor nut told me!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-01-2010 at 03:31 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 02:44 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,128,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I get leg cramps when I don't drink enough water, usually rousing me from sleep with a very painful charley horse. Other times my fingers cramp up. So these days, I am very careful about spacing out my water druing the day. I never knew why I got such bad leg cramps until a friend who is an outdoor nut told me!
Hubby gets those too and he gets them a lot but he claims he drinks enough during the day but its usually soda and coffee. Can't help someone that doesn't want to be helped!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-01-2010 at 03:32 PM..

Old 01-02-2010, 09:14 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,015,619 times
I don't drink enough water either. Over a year ago I was having trouble with osteoarthritis in my thumbs, and went to physical therapy a couple of times (I stopped, because each visit required a $20 copayment that I just couldn't afford). The therapist manipulated my thumb, and then asked how much water I drink. I was a bit taken aback, but I told him honestly, "Not enough." He then commented, "The joint feels really dry." Huh?!

In the second link, it says that people should drink half their body weight in water every day? There's no way I could do that. 67 oz. of water a day for me?? Yikes. That's over a half gallon! I could try to work up to it slowly, but my kidneys seem to be extremely efficient.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:51 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,331,463 times
That is only about 6 cans of pop if it gives you a better visual on how much you should drink. But you should increase it slowly. Smart Water is amazingly tasty. It reminds me of snow. And there is a cute little goldfish on in inside of the label. I can chug of liter of that which is not my normal water style. I am usually a sipper.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:57 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,260,758 times
I'm wondering how many of you guys realize that there has never been a shred of evidence to support the old "you should drink 8 glasses of water a day" adage? The original study, believe it or not, that spawned that myth was conducted waaaay back in the 1940's! And it was so limited--about three dozen participants if I recall--so as to render ti all but meaningless. I see people at the gym everyday where I work carrying around half-gallons jugs. They think they are being healthy, but pure and simply, they are usually over-hydrating. Young women seem to be the worst. Maybe they drink all that water so as to curb their appetite? Anyway, it's very unecessary.
Bottom line: all you gott do is drink when you're thirst and watch your salt intake. And don't drink too many diuretics, like coffee and coke. You'll be fine.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:02 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,048,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I'm wondering how many of you guys realize that there has never been a shred of evidence to support the old "you should drink 8 glasses of water a day" adage? The original study, believe it or not, that spawned that myth was conducted waaaay back in the 1940's! And it was so limited--about three dozen participants if I recall--so as to render ti all but meaningless. I see people at the gym everyday where I work carrying around half-gallons jugs. They think they are being healthy, but pure and simply, they are usually over-hydrating. Young women seem to be the worst. Maybe they drink all that water so as to curb their appetite? Anyway, it's very unecessary.
Bottom line: all you gott do is drink when you're thirst and watch your salt intake. And don't drink too many diuretics, like coffee and coke. You'll be fine.
Yea I see that..lol guys walking around with a gallon of water.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,824,155 times
Default I agree

I have questioned the theory and could not find any statistics to support the claim. But, if I limit myself to thirst, I truthfully feel horrible. I normally drink about 12+ cups a day. If I maintain that level I feel energized and ready for day, almost like the caffiene affect.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 AM

9,444 posts, read 14,986,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't normally post in this section, but decided to share with you a couple of articles because I was shocked to find out how many problems dehydration may cause.

I don't like water and never felt the need for it. Up until a few months ago I hardly drank any and figured I get enough of it in the form of soda, juice, beer, etc. I may very well be paying for this ignorance now and it'd be good to save at least one idiot like me!

Dehydration Can Cause Chronic Pain and Many Degenerative Diseases.

Asthma, Lupus & Water | ENCOGNITIVE.COM
You are not an idiot, many people don't realize that they should be drinking pure water to truly hydrate.
Good articles and better late then never!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness