U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 02:07 PM

15,535 posts, read 29,272,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Are you diabetic? If not, or if you don't know: have you had you blood glucose levels tested recently for possible diabetes?

Might be a good time for a physical.
Not diabetic. Regarding the physical - you don't know me very well, I can tell. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 07:49 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,995,034 times
Yeah, I think the fact it happens around naps is just coincidental.......

Look at your regularity of eating and what you're eating. You mentioned getting up in the morning and not eating until later in the day. Your digestion and pancreas do better when on a routine.

I had bouts of low blood sugar about 30 min after a meal when I was new to nursing and my schedule was very out of control. The doc I saw explained to me that when you eat on an erratic schedule and skip meals, your system is over-primed to shoot out insulin to meet the next meal....and sometimes it overshoots the mark. Especially if it's a carbohydrate rich meal after many hours of not eating. He said it was common in nurses and docs.......because we're work such crazy hours and miss lots of meals.

I don't think it's as common first thing in the morning because your circadian rhythm is different at night and we secrete less "stuff".

Just my 2 cents. Depending on your age and history, might be a good time for a check up, tho.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:20 PM

223 posts, read 503,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Just now I had something happen that occurs from time to time and I cannot seem to find out why. Maybe someone out there has an idea.

Sometimes I will take a short nap and when I wake up I am ravenous. I mean hungry to the point that I am shaking and cannot get food down me fast enough.

This happens fairly often. Not every time, but nearly so. The strange thing about it is that this situation bears no relationship to when or how much food I have eaten.

For instance, I can have a very large meal. Lay down on the couch for a few minutes, fall asleep and even if I am asleep only 10 or 15 minutes IMMEDIATELY AFTER A BIG MEAL - I will wake up so ravenous that I feel as though I have not eaten for days.

Honestly, I am so hungry that I am almost frantic.

This does not occur when I wake up in the morning after sleeping through the night. In fact, as a rule, I do not eat in the morning because the idea of food does not appeal to me. There are some days, (on my days off) when I will wake up naturally at 10 am or so and often on those days, I will not eat my first bite of food until after 3 pm.

But when I am asleep for 10 or 15 or 20 minutes, even after stuffing myself I am so hungry that I cannot see straight.

This just happened to me a few minutes ago and it prompted me to write this post. It seems so strange. Does anybody know why this could possibly happen?

20yrsinBranson
Perhaps you should consult with an Endocrinologist. It is possible to be Glucose intolerant, yet have completely normal fasting tests. A very effective diagnostic tool is a five-hour Glucose tolerance test.

One can be pre-diabetic, but show no or few symptoms.

Also feeling sleepy after eating is often a tell-tale sign of diabetes. Many diabetics also report that prior to diagnosis, they too would experience greatly increased hunger.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:58 PM

5,905 posts, read 5,083,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Rocks View Post
Perhaps you should consult with an Endocrinologist. It is possible to be Glucose intolerant, yet have completely normal fasting tests. A very effective diagnostic tool is a five-hour Glucose tolerance test.

Also feeling sleepy after eating is often a tell-tale sign of diabetes. Many diabetics also report that prior to diagnosis, they too would experience greatly increased hunger.
I agree, it would be very prudent to have diabetes ruled out, especially considering the vast array of potential complications associated with untreated diabetes (nephropathy, retinopathy, neuropathy, etc.).

Per the Mayo Clinic website:

Quote:
Type 2 diabetes symptoms may develop very slowly. In fact, you can have type 2 diabetes for years and not even know it. Look for:

Increased hunger. Without enough insulin to move sugar into your cells, your muscles and organs become depleted for energy. This triggers intense hunger.
Type 2 diabetes: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Old 01-02-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
Yeah, I think the fact it happens around naps is just coincidental.......

Look at your regularity of eating and what you're eating. You mentioned getting up in the morning and not eating until later in the day. Your digestion and pancreas do better when on a routine.

I had bouts of low blood sugar about 30 min after a meal when I was new to nursing and my schedule was very out of control. The doc I saw explained to me that when you eat on an erratic schedule and skip meals, your system is over-primed to shoot out insulin to meet the next meal....and sometimes it overshoots the mark. Especially if it's a carbohydrate rich meal after many hours of not eating. He said it was common in nurses and docs.......because we're work such crazy hours and miss lots of meals.

I don't think it's as common first thing in the morning because your circadian rhythm is different at night and we secrete less "stuff".

Just my 2 cents. Depending on your age and history, might be a good time for a check up, tho.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Rocks View Post

double

Old 01-02-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I agree, it would be very prudent to have diabetes ruled out, especially considering the vast array of potential complications associated with untreated diabetes (nephropathy, retinopathy, neuropathy, etc.).

Per the Mayo Clinic website:

Type 2 diabetes: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

TRIPLE

Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,882,510 times
So why did you ask for input if you're just going to mock people who are trying to provide it?

Quadruple

Old 01-03-2010, 05:01 PM

223 posts, read 503,247 times
While the OP may very well not have diabetes nor be pre-diabetic, one would hope that as a self-proclaimed "wellness coach", he/she would recognize these symptoms in a client and refer them to an actual doctor.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:14 PM

4,152 posts, read 9,588,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Just now I had something happen that occurs from time to time and I cannot seem to find out why. Maybe someone out there has an idea.

Sometimes I will take a short nap and when I wake up I am ravenous. I mean hungry to the point that I am shaking and cannot get food down me fast enough.

This happens fairly often. Not every time, but nearly so. The strange thing about it is that this situation bears no relationship to when or how much food I have eaten.

For instance, I can have a very large meal. Lay down on the couch for a few minutes, fall asleep and even if I am asleep only 10 or 15 minutes IMMEDIATELY AFTER A BIG MEAL - I will wake up so ravenous that I feel as though I have not eaten for days.

Honestly, I am so hungry that I am almost frantic.

This does not occur when I wake up in the morning after sleeping through the night. In fact, as a rule, I do not eat in the morning because the idea of food does not appeal to me. There are some days, (on my days off) when I will wake up naturally at 10 am or so and often on those days, I will not eat my first bite of food until after 3 pm.

But when I am asleep for 10 or 15 or 20 minutes, even after stuffing myself I am so hungry that I cannot see straight.

This just happened to me a few minutes ago and it prompted me to write this post. It seems so strange. Does anybody know why this could possibly happen?

20yrsinBranson
Sounds like hypoglycemia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness