U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You're no longer young at:
18 2 2.47%
21 1 1.23%
25 4 4.94%
30 19 23.46%
35 15 18.52%
40 16 19.75%
50 24 29.63%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:57 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,129,613 times

Advertisements

You stop being young at 90 years old. I couldn't take part in your poll. You don't have 90 as a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 04:50 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,405,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
Also, and I don't think, I ever remember someone stating this: The older we get the more our ability to achieve the state of happiness (euphoria) is clearly diminishing. The world is simply no longer that enjoyable/exciting as it used to be.
That may be your experience but I feel a sort of freedom with my kids all grown that I have not felt since youth. And I get out in the woods and waves of happiness. I think state of mind has nothing to do with age.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 PM

5,119 posts, read 9,416,029 times
Elders need to re-claim a high status role in the U.S. society Other societies revere their older people as 'village elders' and respect their wisdom and call on them for knowledge and guidance.

In the U.S., elders can gain respect by refusing to buy goods or services from companies that portray elders as foolish in their advertising. There's a lot of that going on, when's the last time you saw older people looking fit and smart in advertising? Portrayed as role models? But so often used to push pills...

Boomers and older folks hold huge economic clout in their hands. Time to start using it. My mother used to say "Youth is wasted on the young." I'm not so sure about that, but I do feel "Wisdom is wasted on the old." That's true, but only because we've let it be so.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:21 PM

2,551 posts, read 3,763,697 times
I say around 50 or 55. That's when the body really breaks down some and you feel it too. That's when health problems really start to arise (but if you workout still at that age and watch your diet, you should be able to slow them down a bit at that time of age).

Old 01-07-2010, 07:18 AM

4,721 posts, read 13,614,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
I say around 50 or 55. That's when the body really breaks down some and you feel it too. That's when health problems really start to arise (but if you workout still at that age and watch your diet, you should be able to slow them down a bit at that time of age).
Speaking from experience in that age group from myself,sisters and friends I disagree.
That may have been true for our moms, but not for many in our generation. We are still energetic,healthy,vital,(and vain) women. BY CHOICE.
I am still a snow skier,water skier, swimmer,diver (and third baseman for my son) I still do my ballet every week. This week end, he is teaching me snowboarding with the promise that if he is patient with me, I will be patient with him when I teach him to drive in a few years.
Healthy,active living is a personal choice that pays off.(I am not speaking of being inflicted with a serious illness which can creep in at any age. I have an older husband dealing with cancer. I am now his personal cheer leader)
I had my last child in my 40s and I constantly hear people tell my how young I look.
It gets so boring (NOT)

Last edited by nanannie; 01-07-2010 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 07:39 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,405,273 times
I would really suggest some of the folks thinking you are over the hill at 50 read this book "younger next year". It acknowledges some of the irreversible patterns of aging but has a lot of info on the role of excercise in actually restoring a lot of your youthful health. Same thing as some of the stuff out there by Andrew Weil.

The idea is to live healthy to 80s or 90s or more then "poof" . We do not have to become debilitated and crippled and shuffle around until we die. Look at Jack Lalane - yes the guy just had a heart VALVE replaced but he is 95 and recovering at home. Most people could not do in their 20s and 30s what that guy did in his 70s - look at some of his feats. His parents died MUCH younger than he is. I think his father was 50 and his mother in her early 60s, so don't credit his genetics.

Jack LaLanne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-07-2010, 07:43 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
lifelongMOgal wrote:
No matter how young at heart or mind we are we cannot change these physiological factors.
In my experience this has been only partially true. At age 60, I am in better physical condition than most 35 year olds. A healthy diet works wonders to keep the body healthy, and keep it from breaking down. A good strength training program also does wonders. Regular bodywork sesions ( rolfing, cranio-sacral, reiki, polarity, etc, ) and occassional chiropractic adjustnments do a heckuva lot of good too. Listening to healing frequencies ( tuning forks, binaural beats, brainwave entrainment, etc ) everyday is probably the best practice of them all.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-07-2010 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 AM

15,187 posts, read 16,044,725 times
I'll just add that even though I'm about to turn 48, I still feel pretty much like I did at 30, but happier and more balanced in life. However, I know I'm perceived as being older now, because I never get flirted with by strangers anymore, whereas I used to get flirted with a lot. I think, at least for a woman, as you approach menopause your body gives off unmistakeable signs that you're just about out of the reproductive market, and the world picks up on the signs.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:42 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
Marlow....have you seen Reba McIntyre on TV lately? She's 55 and still looks fantastic!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:57 PM

15,187 posts, read 16,044,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Marlow....have you seen Reba McIntyre on TV lately? She's 55 and still looks fantastic!
I haven't seen her, but I have seen other great looking, youthful women over 50. I guess, in answer to the OP's question, I'm just saying that for a woman, menopause is some sort of stepping stone into the "old" category. I still feel just like I used to, and I think I look pretty good, but I'm not perceived by the world in the same way that I was 15 years ago. Just a different angle on the question of when one becomes "old."

And, no offense in intended at all, but didn't you say you're 60? I wonder if Reba looks as youthful to a 25-year-old as she does to you. Or would a 25-year-old think she looks good for an old person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or