U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: You're no longer young at:
18 2 2.50%
21 1 1.25%
25 4 5.00%
30 19 23.75%
35 14 17.50%
40 16 20.00%
50 24 30.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 07:52 AM

4,409 posts, read 10,173,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
justcause wrote:
I'm detecting a lot of vanity, denial, and insecurity in the responses.
Although you did not directly say it, I get the impression thay you see these things as negatives. In my mind, denying physical deterioration, by affirming well being is a GOOD thing. It's just a matter of perspective, and no single perspective is any better or worse than another. It's up to each individual to see their world as they want it to be.
Good Post CosmicWizard !!

"Denial"?? Who can deny that we age? We have been doing that since the day we were born. "Insecure"?- About WHAT? Enjoying the life we have and making it as good as we can? I am a far better person then I was at 30-I have evolved and feel very secure in life.
"Vanity" ?? SO WHAT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 11:03 AM

3,395 posts, read 8,169,315 times
justcause, it sounds to me the person with the "denial" must be you. You are the one that set the poll and the one that set the upper limit at 50 which is clearly in the realm of "middle age" -- - so you must be struggling with something.......

If you think folks in their 50s and above have taken a deep sigh, accepted the invitable and are out cane shopping, you have another think coming. Most folks in my age range have faced age related death repeatedly-parents, uncles, aunts and have a pretty good grasp on these things. We know folks who were "old" by the time they were 30 and others you were "young" at 80.

I still recall my great great great Uncle Ollie in his 90s offering to play the fiddle for us if my 80 something grandmother would dance for him and he meant it. My grandfater, in his 70s and riddled with cancer walking to see a waterfall with us and having to chastise him for cutting off the switchbacks on the way up by scrambling up the woods. Maybe stuff like this, to you, is denial but to me it is people showing us you can grab life for all it is worth regardless of your age.

The long march to death is coded in our genes and starts in our teens. There is no calendar that says "and at 60 your knees go"-none- pretty hard to get away from aging skin [black people amaze me in this regard] but our bodies and support systems can stay in pretty solid shape until the very end. About the only thing there is, yes, around 40 most people start needing reading glassess. Oh, btw - cataracts - if you are over 20 they have probably already started......

Last edited by grannynancy; 01-10-2010 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Uncle Ollie played the fiddle.......

Old 01-10-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
I know it's all a matter of perspective, but physically, emotionally, mentally, etc., at what age (or age range) does youth terminate?

I've often heard people in their late 20s to early 30s being referred to as "kids." So, this question just piqued my interest.

You do not have to vote in the poll if you feel none of the answers are good (I can't cover all the ages/age ranges). Just contribute your own thoughts.
You know I went back and looked back at your original post since all the old farts [I guess that is what you consider] are not answering like you want.

You even acknowledged in your first post that it is "a matter of perspective" and it is. But with a new perspective based on your first thread I would have to say youth terminates at 21 because that is when, legally, you become an adult. I know - at 18 you can do many things, but there are a lot of things you can't legally do until 21.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:51 AM

36,660 posts, read 58,156,313 times
Quote:
Chronologically - which often indicates physical condition, but not always.

However, some of the people posting pretend like they don't have a biological clock. I'm sorry, I don't care how young you think you are or how young you feel, or what "young" comments people may give you about your appearance: you still age. I'm detecting a lot of vanity, denial, and insecurity in the responses.
And I suspect you'll make your exit before you're eligible for Medicare.

The difference between my grandparents in their 60s and my parents in their 60s is astonishing. And there's nothing particularly anomalous about either. My parents have taken basic care of themselves and they don't look remarkably better than anyone else in their peer group who have also taken basic care of themselves. Meanwhile, their parents' generation apparently accepted their "geezer" fate at about 50 or so, basically looking and behaving like old people once they reached that age. My parents look younger in their mid-60s than any of my grandparents did at 50 (and I had 3 sets of 'em), and they're also way more active. Hell, my dad still rides a motorcycle. I can't picture any of my grandparents even considering it at his age. The shift in age in just one generation at which people actually become "old" is mind-blowing. And it keeps going; it is now postulated that a child born today has a 50/50 chance of living to 100.

Last edited by Drover; 01-10-2010 at 12:02 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 11:00 PM

981 posts, read 212,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
justcause, it sounds to me the person with the "denial" must be you. You are the one that set the poll and the one that set the upper limit at 50 which is clearly in the realm of "middle age" -- - so you must be struggling with something.......
Ummm, OK. I have no idea what this means or what it's implying, but I'll pretend like that makes sense...for you.

Quote:
If you think folks in their 50s and above have taken a deep sigh, accepted the invitable and are out cane shopping, you have another think coming. Most folks in my age range have faced age related death repeatedly-parents, uncles, aunts and have a pretty good grasp on these things. We know folks who were "old" by the time they were 30 and others you were "young" at 80.
What does this have to do with anything?

Quote:
I still recall my great great great Uncle Ollie in his 90s offering to play the fiddle for us if my 80 something grandmother would dance for him and he meant it. My grandfater, in his 70s and riddled with cancer walking to see a waterfall with us and having to chastise him for cutting off the switchbacks on the way up by scrambling up the woods. Maybe stuff like this, to you, is denial but to me it is people showing us you can grab life for all it is worth regardless of your age.
You are being sentimental and giving anecdotes. None of this addresses the topic, really.

Quote:
The long march to death is coded in our genes and starts in our teens. There is no calendar that says "and at 60 your knees go"-none- pretty hard to get away from aging skin [black people amaze me in this regard] but our bodies and support systems can stay in pretty solid shape until the very end. About the only thing there is, yes, around 40 most people start needing reading glassess. Oh, btw - cataracts - if you are over 20 they have probably already started......
Again, this doesn't have anything to do with the purpose of this thread.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
You know I went back and looked back at your original post since all the old farts [I guess that is what you consider] are not answering like you want.
Where are you getting this? I've expressed admiration for old age in this thread. I don't have anything against old people, but that doesn't mean I don't see through a lot of the bs that people are posting.

Quote:
You even acknowledged in your first post that it is "a matter of perspective" and it is. But with a new perspective based on your first thread I would have to say youth terminates at 21 because that is when, legally, you become an adult. I know - at 18 you can do many things, but there are a lot of things you can't legally do until 21.
OK.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Where are you getting this? I've expressed admiration for old age in this thread. I don't have anything against old people, but that doesn't mean I don't see through a lot of the bs that people are posting.

OK.
I don't think anyone is posting any BS. I think you just don't understand that we all agree there is a biological aging process, but you don't wake up at your "cut off" of 50 and turn old.

The changes are gradual and their onset has a lot to do with genetics and with how the person takes care of themselves so that people in their 80s or 90s even can have the same vigor as people much younger, often better given the couch potato mentality of many youth. I have seen this time and time again over the years.

I am sorry if you think this is denial, vanity, and insecurity.

You asked for people to respond. We did. You did not like the responses. Sorry. I am not sure what you were really looking for.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone is posting any BS. I think you just don't understand that we all agree there is a biological aging process, but you don't wake up at your "cut off" of 50 and turn old.

The changes are gradual and their onset has a lot to do with genetics and with how the person takes care of themselves so that people in their 80s or 90s even can have the same vigor as people much younger, often better given the couch potato mentality of many youth. I have seen this time and time again over the years.

I am sorry if you think this is denial, vanity, and insecurity.

You asked for people to respond. We did. You did not like the responses. Sorry. I am not sure what you were really looking for.
I did not "like" several of the responses which seemed to reflect some hostility and denial about the reality of old age.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I did not "like" several of the responses which seemed to reflect some hostility and denial about the reality of old age.
Can you please explain the "reality of old age"?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Can you please explain the "reality of old age"?
The reality is that we age. Period. The few exceptions people note are not exceptions to that rule. It doesn't matter if a 60 yo is in better health and more spirited than a 25yo - the 60yo person's much closer to death, chronologically, than the 25yo, who still has their life ahead of them.

More importantly, the thread concerned when people stop being young. That is not synonymous with them automatically becoming old at the "termination" of their youth, as many people seem to interpret the question.

But if most people were honest, and not insecure and in denial, they would probably answer the question honestly instead of letting their feelings get in the way and trying to pretend as if 50 is equal to 20. It simply is not, no matter how many illusions people invent for themselves and try to push.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness