Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 11:11 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

Ive been wanting to start waking up earlier, but having major problems following thru with it.

I dont have a regular alarm clock anymore (after a very strange incident at my house, but thats another thread entirely), and am now using an old cell phone as an alarm clock...It wakes me up, but the problem is, I grab it and while Im attempting to re set the alarm for 10 minutes later...I fall back asleep before I was able to reset it, or I do reset it, then fall asleep and the cell phone drops down under the covers and then I dont hear it go off again, and I wake up much later than I wanted to.

Im thinking about setting the cell phone on my dresser or a table, somewhere I cannot reach it from my bed, forcing me to get up, but Im not sure I would hear the alarm if it was on the other side of the room.

Once Im up and walking, Im good...I just need EXTREME motivation to actually get out of bed!

I almost wish, my bed would tilt up when the alarm goes off, dumping me out of bed!

Anyone have any creative ideas or suggestions?

**I dont have to 'clock in' for work, I can start any time I like, (as long as I meet my deadlines), there are no problems, I do like having a job like this, but I find its tougher on me to get up (when I really do not have to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 11:43 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Old trick employed by the "Island boys" in the west indies.

Drink a LARGE glass of water at bedtime, when the alarms wakens you even ever so slightly you'll never get back to sleep because you're gonna have to relieve yourself and once up on your feet , thats it.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:16 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Does light wake you up? You can get smart bulbs that you set with an alarm to assist with the wake up process. If you put one on your night stand close to your bed and choose a bright setting at the end, that might help. A lot will slowly brighten to help tell your body that it is time to start getting up.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:12 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
It' simple. Cut off the damned computer/tablet/phone and/or the television.

You know, Early to Bed and Early to Rise

Old 04-30-2020, 07:59 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont have a regular alarm clock anymore (after a very strange incident at my house, but thats another thread entirely)....
Is there a reason you can't just buy another alarm clock?

Please, let us know about the "very strange incident" at your house. These are strange times. (Maybe in the paranormal forum?)

--

Old 04-30-2020, 08:06 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
OP, how long before your desired wake-up time are you going to bed? And how long before going to bed are you using any kind of electronic device?

Your best bet to fall asleep is to cut off the electronics before bedtime (at least a half-hour beforehand, I believe), and absolutely do not use a phone or tablet or anything else electronic once you're actually in bed. If you are able to get yourself in bed for the night about 8 hours before you wish to wake up, it should be easier for you to get up, once your alarm goes off.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Does light wake you up? You can get smart bulbs that you set with an alarm to assist with the wake up process. If you put one on your night stand close to your bed and choose a bright setting at the end, that might help. A lot will slowly brighten to help tell your body that it is time to start getting up.
Yes, light does wake me up, Ive never heard of those smart bulbs, I will have to get one of them and give it a try. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Is there a reason you can't just buy another alarm clock?

Please, let us know about the "very strange incident" at your house. These are strange times. (Maybe in the paranormal forum?)

--
Basically, I went to sleep one night and the alarm clock was sitting on my night stand, where it has sat for the past 8 yrs...woke up (late) the next morning and it was gone.

I live alone and the only other person that has access to my place is my father (who has an emergency set of spare keys), but he is not the type to come overnight and steal my clock, and I would have heard him coming up the steps and opening my bedroom door.

This happened about 10 months ago, Ive searched the house top to bottom, and have not yet found it.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:10 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Basically, I went to sleep one night and the alarm clock was sitting on my night stand, where it has sat for the past 8 yrs...woke up (late) the next morning and it was gone.
This happened about 10 months ago, Ive searched the house top to bottom, and have not yet found it.

Did you look outside? You may have thrown it out the window to see if time flies.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:16 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Yes, light does wake me up, Ive never heard of those smart bulbs, I will have to get one of them and give it a try. Thanks!
How early do you want to wake up? For me I know if I leave my bedroom curtains open I'll wake up when the morning sun hits my bed. Of course it doesn't work well when it rains, like it has been doing constantly for the last several months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness