Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times

Advertisements

I would think one of the most difficult things to look forward to is the prospect of forging meaningful relationships in the future. Many of the people you will feel romantically attracted to will have a lot of trouble accommodating to who you are and who you were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 08:27 PM

152 posts, read 303,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Can I ask do you know if the requirement to live as a woman for 2 years exists here as I know it does back home (Australia)?

I suspect that and the hormone therapy will be the hardest part to negotiate. A lot of emotional, physical and psychological changes and I guess you can't know how it will be until you're in it.

I know of two people who embarked on the gender re-assignment journey. One woman, I didn't know very well but she actually had the operation and I have a friend currently who is on the hormone treatment and is living the required two years as a woman. I know that it is not always easy for her, people can be very unkind and obviously it takes a lot of courage to follow this path.

I wish you well with it. No matter what, be true to yourself.
I must say, that is the one thing I have missed on my path of research. I haven't started any of the required therapy yet. I have only come to the conclusion of how much all of the operations that I want done (including the Gender Reassignment Surgery) and a new wardrobe would cost. But I would have to find a therapist in order for me to start all of this. But like I said before, I need a new residence before I start all of this.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I would think one of the most difficult things to look forward to is the prospect of forging meaningful relationships in the future. Many of the people you will feel romantically attracted to will have a lot of trouble accommodating to who you are and who you were.
That is why it is a good thing that I am honest about who I am. If someone has a problem with me and who I am and who I was then I have no business with that person in the first place.

391 posts, read 512,795 times
From what I understand you will not be able to get reassigned by any repudable center unless you are ready for it. Hormone therapy, traditional therapy, transitioning, etc... Please, don't do anything that would put yourself at risk by taking shortcuts like flying to a foreign country with less regulations. Best of luck to you and God Bless.

8,292 posts, read 26,618,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm The Supporter View Post
I'll find a place where no one knows me and start a new life as a woman. You aren't being a contrary voice; just asking me questions that I should be able to answer to figure out if I really want to do this. It is irreversible so I can't just call up a surgeon and say 'Change me back.' Instead I will have to live with my decision and consequences that follow. My parents don't support me as a bisexual and won't support me after this. When I came out to them and said that I am Bi, they tried to pawn me off on my grandpa. But they have eased up and I'm still living with them. And I have to have the operations done after I am out of their house or else I will be out on the streets. And I will have to use my own money because I highly doubt that any one will give me a loan for a sex change surgery. And my parents definitely won't contribute.
Honestly, I'd suggest you wait. And the reason is because it appears to me that you have other issues to work through, and those should probably be worked through first. Primary among those issues seems to be your relationship with your parents.

From the sounds of things, you're quite young, and that's another reason I think you should wait. Being the parent of three grown kids, I can assure you that things change radically and rapidly between high school graduation and the age of 25. And while I'm not thinking you'll suddenly have an epiphany that you're not bi-sexual, I do believe that some more maturity might help you make a better decision.

It's a big decision and, as you mentioned, irreversible. I'd hate to see you spend the better part of the rest of your life paying off a $100,000 loan for something you ended up regretting.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
From what I understand you will not be able to get reassigned by any repudable center unless you are ready for it. Hormone therapy, traditional therapy, transitioning, etc... Please, don't do anything that would put yourself at risk by taking shortcuts like flying to a foreign country with less regulations. Best of luck to you and God Bless.
No. I want to stay in the states for it. Going out of the country would be too much effort and waste too much time. When I get the means, I will start everything immediately. Not want to register for a plane, wait for God-knows-how-long for the plane, then spend a lot of time on the flight, get there, wait for the surgery, get prepped for the surgery, do the surgery, wait to be released, and do the whole thing over again at the airport just to come back. Not to mention getting a passport. Too much time is lost doing that.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:40 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,042,295 times
Are we supposed to freak out? This is nothing new, and as long as you are honest about your situation to the people you date, I could care less.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,880,232 times
Quote:
I must say, that is the one thing I have missed on my path of research. I haven't started any of the required therapy yet. I have only come to the conclusion of how much all of the operations that I want done (including the Gender Reassignment Surgery) and a new wardrobe would cost. But I would have to find a therapist in order for me to start all of this. But like I said before, I need a new residence before I start all of this.
Well like most big things in life you have to start out with baby steps.

I suspect you'll have to take your time and will find it quite a lengthy process so just keep exploring your options, educating yourself, making the changes and arrangements you need to get you to your goal.

You'll get there in the end, just have to break it down into manageable pieces and resolve each issue as it comes up.

Gathering information and learning about all the requirements and costs is a great start and something you can do while you're working on the more pressing issues like the new residence and then the therapist.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:42 PM

My parents are a few steps shy of being Bible Thumpers. They almost make me not be a Christian. They beat me about over the head and shoulders when I came out. They also made it clear that, in their eyes, every bisexual crossdresses. Even though I am turned on by a guy who can do that and pull it off without a hitch (including voice and actions), that doesn't work for all bisexuals. In fact as I have looked up this sort of thing, most transvestites are straight men (as far as male crossdressers go). But that is neither here nor there. The point is is that I know how big this decision is and I have thought about this all of my life. I don't care about the wait right now because I don't have the funds for the change to happen nor a place of my own.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
I want to get a sex change. Knowing the information I have given in previous posts, you may be wondering 'WTF!!!' but I assure you, this is something I have been thinking about and wanting for a long time. Let's hear your opinion. And this is not a religious debate. I know who my God is. But I'm up for a debate if y'all insist.
As long as you pay for it out of your own pocket and do not expect tax payers to foot any part of the bill do whatever floats your boat. You have to live with both the choice and the consequences. Choose wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness