U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,504,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile31 View Post
DVT's can be treated and primarily treating them with medicine is old school.
So what's the "New School"....

Must be very new since we still treat them very effectively with medicine where I am at...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Research Serrapeptase.
Serrapeptase Information
A useless supplement that will do nothing for DVT's and would likely lead to disability and death for anyone who opted to use this snake oil instead of actual medication???

Great find

Old 01-01-2014, 07:22 PM

27,996 posts, read 46,373,100 times
Just got out of the hospital after having a PE and DVT in my right leg. The clots caused a Atrial Fibrillation which never happened before now. I've have chreated death four times now and don't want to make it a number five. I'm on Coumadin and still had a clot for some reason. The hospial never put on Lovenox and I'm wondering why. Doesn't Lovenox break down blood clots? My lungs are filled with clots the doctor said.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Just got out of the hospital after having a PE and DVT in my right leg. The clots caused a Atrial Fibrillation which never happened before now. I've have chreated death four times now and don't want to make it a number five. I'm on Coumadin and still had a clot for some reason. The hospial never put on Lovenox and I'm wondering why. Doesn't Lovenox break down blood clots? My lungs are filled with clots the doctor said.
Lovenox is a low molecular weight heparin, an anti coagulant like Coumadin. It doesn't break down clots any more than heparin or Coumadin. It helps to prevent new clots from forming only.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 852 times
My mother passed away in 2010 due to a doctor's negligence while "installing" a greenfield filter. The doctor tore a half inch in her right iliac vein, and she passed away as soon as she was brought back to her room, after the procedure. They told us she had an " embolism", but we immediately had her autopsied and thank god we did. Medical examiner called us immediately and his exact words were " you better get a lawyer". My mother had a blood clot in her leg, that broke off and traveled to the right lobe of her lung & that's why she needed the Greenfield filter. I don't want to scare anyone here, but I would like to strongly warn anyone who lives in Long Island, New York to please steer clear of an interventional Radiologist by the name of Dr. Kenneth Richman. I ran into a medical malpractice attorney & I told him the story of what happened to my mother & before I mentioned the doctor's name, he said "you must be talking about Dr. Kenneth Richman". I thought I had an outer body experience when he said that. Then I was told that the doctor was nicknamed " the master of disaster" from other fellow malpractice attorneys who have had clients sue him. Just thought I should warn those in the Long Island area of New York.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 810 times
Default Greenfield Filter

After having two blood clots in lungs over a three year period, my Internal Physician suggested the filter, since I was prone to blood clots from knee surgeries in the past. I have had a filter for about 15 years and have no problems with clotting since. I have no swelling in legs which is an indicator of clotting, but I am on a coumadin dosage with a level of between 2.5-3.5 continually. It is a worry free devise and I live without the fear of a clot in my legs travelling to lungs, heart or brain.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:45 PM

17,256 posts, read 14,829,843 times
My mother has one, and I've worked in skilled nursing facilities for 18 years and have seen countless people with them. I don't remember any complications in any patient in that time.

Not to discount Melmarie's experience, rare accidents can happen in any procedure. In one facility I worked in, we had a young teen girl who was a vegetable from a dental anesthesia mistake. I am sorry about your Mom.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:48 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,503,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My mother has one, and I've worked in skilled nursing facilities for 18 years and have seen countless people with them. I don't remember any complications in any patient in that time.

Not to discount Melmarie's experience, rare accidents can happen in any procedure. In one facility I worked in, we had a young teen girl who was a vegetable from a dental anesthesia mistake. I am sorry about your Mom.
In a skilled nursing facility you're not really going to see patients with acute problems from Greenfield filters-they're going to be in the ER and acute care.
Regarding "rare accidents", there's a difference between known complications of procedures and usual risk levels, and malpractice due to lack of experience,lack of accepted level of care and attention.
I find it deplorable that you work in nursing and use the term "vegetable" to describe a pateint.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:28 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,503,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
When you were on coumadin and had a clot, how often were you having INR checked and what were the readings? Coumadin won't work if your INR isn't within range, normally 2-3 is the range. PE and DVT dont cause AF, but AF is also a reason to be anticoagulated to prevent TIA/stroke.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:01 AM

27,996 posts, read 46,373,100 times
Now my INR is checked once a month. Back then I had it checked once a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness