Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:09 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Hi, Have you ever got a Greenfield Filter put in a vein to pervent blood clots from going into your lungs?

My local hospital wanted me to have this filter put in a main vein from my heart to pervent blood clots from going to my lungs. I have not had this done yet.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 AM

947 posts, read 3,139,321 times
Yes - right after I had my daughter all hell broke loose and the Dr.'s thought they saw a blood cloot on my vena cavia - (sp). So they put one of those filters in. After the swelling from the post partum pre-eclampsia went down they checked again and it turned out to be a abnormally shaped vein.

They removed the filter through the neck. Stll have a scar. Quite painful. I was under when they inserted it so I don't remember how it was done but it was removed through the neck.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:42 PM

I went to a Nashville hospital for a second opinion and was told I didn't need the Greenfield Filter. I bet I sayed my insurance company 5,000 dollars.

John

Old 01-05-2010, 09:10 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
I had multiple blood clots (both lungs). I did speak with several physicians including one at the Mayo Clinic and was advised that it was too late for me to have a filter. I am on lifelong blood thinners.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 PM

My clots are in the upper part of my right lung and in both legs. I also on blood thinner for life. The reason I'm having this problem now is a doctor took me off of my blood thinner after seven years on it. He said you don't need to be on this blood longer because you never had a problem with clotting in seven years. So after two months the clots came back. The ER doctor said the doctor took me off should have never done it. The doctor took me off has been moved to another hospital.

John

Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 AM

593 posts, read 890,197 times
This is what I would do. First dissolve the clots with IV Heparin (Warfrin) then start Plavix but haveyour clotting factor checked as it might be possible to go to full dose asprin then enteric baby aspirin. You may have been bed ridden too long and it was an acute event reather than chronic.
Certainly you want to avoid a plumonary embolis, so still listen to your MD as they always seem to have a better grasp of you as an individual. Keep your options. Once on baby aspirin it might be a good idea to add garlic caps . Stay away from other herbs like ginseng especially if our a cardiac
patient. Do not smoke! God Bless.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:58 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
This is what I would do. First dissolve the clots with IV Heparin (Warfrin) then start Plavix but haveyour clotting factor checked as it might be possible to go to full dose asprin then enteric baby aspirin. You may have been bed ridden too long and it was an acute event reather than chronic.
Certainly you want to avoid a plumonary embolis, so still listen to your MD as they always seem to have a better grasp of you as an individual. Keep your options. Once on baby aspirin it might be a good idea to add garlic caps . Stay away from other herbs like ginseng especially if our a cardiac
patient. Do not smoke! God Bless.
Heparin is Heparin it isn't Warfarin.....Warfarin is Coumadin

Heparin does not "dissolve" clots, it interferes with the coagulation cascade to prevent further clotting and may help stabilize existing clots...

What "clotting factor" are you talking about? Plavix is an anti-platelet agent it inhibits platelet aggregation....has nothing to do with the coagulation cascade....

Anti-platelet agents like Plavix and aspirin are rarely adequate to prevent a thrombus that could lead to a pulmonary embolus, particularly in a patient such as the OP with previous history of DVT.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 23,669 times
Eight years ago I almost dies from a massive PE due to not being walked after a surgery a hospital. I was hospitalized and bed ridden for 3 weeks. I was on Herparin for 10 days, then Lovenox shots twice a day for 10 days, then went to Warfarin for 6 months. I got my blood checked every week and the dosage was adjusted accordingly. While I was in the hospital for the 3 weeks, they put in a Greenfield filter through my groin- very painful. Eight years later I still have the filter in, for life, but am not on any blood thinners. When I was pregnant I had to do Lovenox and Heparin shots the entire pregancy and 3 months post. The filter gives me peace of mind and I have no discomfort from it. It was a great decision my wonderful doctor helped me make.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 23,202 times
I have been out of work for two weeks with a blood clot in a superficial vein of the left leg. Within this period I have had 3 ultrsounds that show this clot has traveled into my groin. I feel anxious waiting for the thing to enter the arterial system and wonder why a greenfield filter was not suggested or meds given yet. Does anyone understand this waiting for a disaster to strike form of medicine..or am I just over reacting??

Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 22,975 times
can a greenfield stop clots from giving you a heart attack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness