U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:51 PM

13,155 posts, read 16,884,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, you will....or at least should, if only to determine where your food product came from.

A good many packages don't say (Or it's hidden by saying it's "distributed" by so and so), but an astonishing amount of the food we eat is processed and packaged in some foreign country, far beyond the reach of American standards.

For instance: I visited all three local big-chain food stores the other day looking for American-grown green onions (Walmart, Albertsons, Kroger). No luck. Each one of them only offered onions grown in Mexico.

Well...an onion is an onion, right? Not necessarily. Onions are typically an irrigated crop. Irrigated with what? Water. And, what are we always told not to drink in Mexico? The water. If Mexican water is contaminated with fecal matter and chemical residue to the point that we dare not drink it when down there, what do you think their onions are immersed in?

Plus, there's the additional issue of American onion growers being cut out of the loop by big box stores because the Mexican's can sell it cheaper.

Y'all may do as you like, but in the interest of my family's safety, and American workers, I'll avoid foreign grown or foreign processed foods whenever possible.
Same here. I'm very careful if I ever buy frozen foods at WM. I always look to see where it comes from. And I buy frozen or fresh, rarely canned. If I ever buy store brand, I read the labels and origin very carefully!

Same with seafood. I'm careful about origin, and I avoid farm raised fish, especially from foreign sources.

I also watch to be sure that fresh produce has a 4-digit code which means it's not grown from genetically modified seed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I buy organic and i buy local.
I may be spoiled as i'm from California but i always know where my food comes from ... real close by.
People say that they can't afford organic but speaking generally, if they simply stopped buying all the expensive packaged food, the soda, the cookies, the fast food, etc., etc., they would be able to afford organic produce and naturally raised beef, chicken, etc..
I kind of agree with you. It's a trade off. To afford organic, one might have to give up some convenience foods. But if you check the ingredients on convenience foods, you might want to give them up anyway!

The other day I was going to pick up some yogurt and saw that there's high fructose corn syrup in it. I avoid that as much as I can. Just plain yogurt from a good name company is clean and pure, and as someone said you can add your own fruit and flavorings for a refreshing treat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 06:05 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,868,583 times
Quote:
First off, not everyone is lucky enough to live in a produce growing region like California. For we "unfortunate" ones out here in the hustings, we have to rely on what the stores have to offer or we don't eat fresh vegetables, organic or not(of course, we also don't have to deal with your high taxes and tree-huggers, so that's a plus for us). Sure, if we live in the country, we could grow our own, but not everything grows everywhere. For instance, I don't think lettuce would prosper here in North Texas, so I can either buy it or do without.

Secondly, a lot of those pre-packaged and pre-cooked or processed foods are sold to people laboring under serious time contraints related to raising a family and working. It's more than a little judgmental and presumptous to presume to tell them they just have to quit buying that stuff in order to take advantage of the benefits of "healthy eating." For far too many of our neighbors, it's simply not an option.

So..it seems to me that it would be far more useful for those folks to encourage them to buy American-grown produce, which is much better for them than foreign junk simply because we have clean water here and mandated inspections, than to suggest they do what you do, which isn't possible everywhere.
I find that organic produce is usually available and if I were you I would pick that over cigs. but I suppose somebody with the balls to smoke all that crap shouldn't be afraid of a Mexican produce grown in fecal matter

Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,412,869 times
I NEVER buy frozen fish from WM. It is all from China. I don't care if it is wild caught are not - with all the stuff that has gone on in recent years I don't want any food that has been through Chinese hands.

Publix sells frozen fish from Norway. More expensive. Hope we can trust them but that is where we usually get ours.

When my kids were little [over 20 years ago] I actually called Libby's about juicy juice to make sure it came from American Orchards.........this was shortly after Chernobyl and a LOT of applejuice came from Eastern Europe....eeeeeeeeeek. A lot of food is coming over from other countries with even more corruption and more lax rules on pesticides etc. and that is kind of scary too.........

Old 01-06-2010, 06:17 PM

13,155 posts, read 16,884,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I NEVER buy frozen fish from WM. It is all from China. I don't care if it is wild caught are not - with all the stuff that has gone on in recent years I don't want any food that has been through Chinese hands.

Publix sells frozen fish from Norway. More expensive. Hope we can trust them but that is where we usually get ours.

When my kids were little [over 20 years ago] I actually called Libby's about juicy juice to make sure it came from American Orchards.........this was shortly after Chernobyl and a LOT of applejuice came from Eastern Europe....eeeeeeeeeek. A lot of food is coming over from other countries with even more corruption and more lax rules on pesticides etc. and that is kind of scary too.........
good comments. I agree with you about seafood from WM. Norway, Iceland, Canada, Alaska, all good sources for fish. If you buy canned fish, such as salmon, check the origin also. I'm also very picky about the shrimp. I don't want anything from China, Vietnam or Thailand. And, as I said, I won't buy farm raised even from the US.

You're right to be concerned about the controls and laws on pesticide use in other countries.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:06 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,043,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I find that organic produce is usually available and if I were you I would pick that over cigs. but I suppose somebody with the balls to smoke all that crap shouldn't be afraid of a Mexican produce grown in fecal matter

Cigarette smoke MAY kill you. Fecal matter WILL make you sick.

I'm old enough now not to worry about dying, but I don't like spending all night in the bathroom with my head in the commode.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:23 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,450,243 times
Quote:
Yes, you will....or at least should, if only to determine where your food product came from.

A good many packages don't say (Or it's hidden by saying it's "distributed" by so and so), but an astonishing amount of the food we eat is processed and packaged in some foreign country, far beyond the reach of American standards.

For instance: I visited all three local big-chain food stores the other day looking for American-grown green onions (Walmart, Albertsons, Kroger). No luck. Each one of them only offered onions grown in Mexico.

Well...an onion is an onion, right? Not necessarily. Onions are typically an irrigated crop. Irrigated with what? Water. And, what are we always told not to drink in Mexico? The water. If Mexican water is contaminated with fecal matter and chemical residue to the point that we dare not drink it when down there, what do you think their onions are immersed in?

Plus, there's the additional issue of American onion growers being cut out of the loop by big box stores because the Mexican's can sell it cheaper.

Y'all may do as you like, but in the interest of my family's safety, and American workers, I'll avoid foreign grown or foreign processed foods whenever possible.
Green Onions Recalled

Two California produce shippers have recalled thousands of cases of green onions supplied by an onion farm in Mexicali, Mexico, over fears the onions could be contaminated with salmonella. Department of Agriculture inspectors found salmonella in a routine test taken last month. No illnesses have been reported. Officials notified the shipper, Steinbeck Country Produce. The company issued a voluntary recall for 3,360 cartons. The shipper Ocean Mist Farms recalled 1,746 cases as well, after realizing they came from the same lot.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:39 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,090,937 times
Sugar really isn't the thing you need to be scared of...its the artificial sugars that are causing cancer and strange new disorders in people. The real thing you want to avoid though is modified food starches which is codeword for MSG and can also contain trace amounts of chemicals that aren't ment for human comsumption. Others you want to avoid are autolyzed yeasts and anything that says natural flavoring...which you'll notice one of those three are in almost everything from chips to ketchup. Almost all of it has MSG which causes cancer. People need to get smarter when it comes to reading labels, 99% of the crap they sell you in stores is very, very bad for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness