U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:11 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Well yeh..it breaks the pancreas:

"Nicotine also inhibits the release of insulin from the pancreas, a hormone that is responsible for removing excess sugar from a person's blood. This leaves the smoker in a slightly hyperglycemic condition, meaning he has more sugar in his blood than is normal. Mod cut: copyright violation
Nicotine Addiction - Nicotine and Dopamine

Smoking causes it. Only when you get healthy do you know how sick your body was. That goes for food or smoking or just couch potato life.
This may be very true for the cigarette smokers but I doubt that a moderate pipe or quality cigar smoker who consume no more than 1>3 cigars/pipes in a 24 hour period (as I do with my pipe) would run much risk at all. At least it's not enough to get my Doctor interested at all.

Moderation is the key IMO but I know moderation is nowhere on the cigarette smokers radar.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-10-2010 at 02:47 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 05:50 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
Hey if you want to kill yourself, go ahead and knock yourselves out. I'm just pointing out the obvious. If you smoke, you will suffer and die younger. If you people like taking drugs to make yourselves "high" then so be it. But don't be in denial about it. Just recognize you are drug addicts. We all have vices, and unfortunately yours is a pretty deadly one. I'll stick to my occasional burger and ice cream.

Go ahead and have your burger and ice cream, but expect to pay more for them in the future. The health-Nazi's are after YOU next.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:04 PM
ttz

679 posts, read 1,460,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Go ahead and have your burger and ice cream, but expect to pay more for them in the future. The health-Nazi's are after YOU next.
That is fine with me. I'll gladly pay $10 for a Combo meal or pint of Mint Chocolate Chip. I only do my vice a couple of times a month. See this is where I have a problem with your vice. You have to do yours every single day, dozens and dozens of times a day; when the drug wears off, like every hour or so. I, on the other hand, only partake in my vice WHEN I WANT TO. Not when the withdrawals kick in.

But if you are of the rare breed where you only smoke a couple a week, or the occasional pipe or cigar. That is great, not much harm done. (and you are beating Big Tobacco at their game! Remember they testified that Nicotine was not addictive, haha) My problem with this is the highly addictive nature and silver lining of some companies pockets at your expense.

But to keep this back on topic, yes Nicotine does cause Diabetes. Remember this is how it reduces your appetite. It causes the liver to releas sugars into the blood, fooling the body in thinking it is full, or that it just ate food, this Curbing the appetite. This also increases Cholesterol and hardens the arteries. Fun stuff.

Last edited by ttz; 01-09-2010 at 11:13 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
That is fine with me. I'll gladly pay $10 for a Combo meal or pint of Mint Chocolate Chip. I only do my vice a couple of times a month. See this is where I have a problem with your vice. You have to do yours every single day, dozens and dozens of times a day; when the drug wears off, like every hour or so. I, on the other hand, only partake in my vice WHEN I WANT TO. Not when the withdrawals kick in.

But if you are of the rare breed where you only smoke a couple a week, or the occasional pipe or cigar. That is great, not much harm done. (and you are beating Big Tobacco at their game! Remember they testified that Nicotine was not addictive, haha) My problem with this is the highly addictive nature and silver lining of some companies pockets at your expense.

But to keep this back on topic, yes Nicotine does cause Diabetes. Remember this is how it reduces your appetite. It causes the liver to releas sugars into the blood, fooling the body in thinking it is full, or that it just ate food, this Curbing the appetite. This also increases Cholesterol and hardens the arteries. Fun stuff.
Children never know when to be quiet......do they ?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 AM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Who would have believed it?

"Giving up smoking sharply increases the risk of developing type-two diabetes, a US study suggests. Researchers found quitters had a 70% increased risk of developing type-two diabetes in the first six years without cigarettes compared with non-smokers."

(Note: I don't know if this applies to pipe/cigar smokers but it seems reasonable that it would.)

BBC News - Giving up smoking 'raises diabetes risk'

It's been a well known and accepted factor that when people stop smoking they eat more. There have been many different theories as to why. Satisfying an urge for oral gratification. Increased taste sensations once you stop smoking, "something" to do with your hands, etc., etc.

If the food that is consumed after stopping smoking is garbage, then YES a person will have a tendency to gain weight and there could definitely be an increased risk of diabetes, especially if they were predisposed in that direction already anyway. However, if the food that is being consumed is good, healthy, whole, natural foods, there would not be any increased likely hood. However, it is not the STOPPING SMOKING that is causing the problem, it is the poor dietary choices that are being made that is causing the problem.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-10-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
However, it is not the STOPPING SMOKING that is causing the problem, it is the poor dietary choices that are being made that is causing the problem.

20yrsinBranson
Sorry but the nicotine in tobacco is a well known appetite suppressant which when gone returns one's appetite to normal. If there is no increased physical activity to offset the demand for calories weight gain is what happens.

"The appetite-suppressant effect of nicotine is enhanced by caffeine"

Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies

Old 01-10-2010, 06:31 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Quote:
Sorry but the nicotine in tobacco is a well known appetite suppressant which when gone returns one's appetite to normal. If there is no increased physical activity to offset the demand for calories weight gain is what happens.

Ok, let me try this again so everybody gets the point.

It is not the ACT of quitting smoking that causes diabetes.

It is the ACT of quitting smoking that increases the appetite, which in turn causes more food to be consumed. If that food is NOT good quality food, THEN the chances of contracting diabetes (and a plethora of other diseases) is increased.

Is that better?

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Ok, let me try this again so everybody gets the point.

It is not the ACT of quitting smoking that causes diabetes.

It is the ACT of quitting smoking that increases the appetite, which in turn causes more food to be consumed. If that food is NOT good quality food, THEN the chances of contracting diabetes (and a plethora of other diseases) is increased.

Is that better?

20yrsinBranson
Nope. It's not the "act" at all. It is the removal of the appetite suppressant (nicotine in this case) that cause one to plump up.

But I already said that didn't I?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Quote:
This may be very true for the cigarette smokers but I doubt that a moderate pipe or quality cigar smoker who consume no more than 1>3 cigars/pipes in a 24 hour period (as I do with my pipe) would run much risk at all. At least it's not enough to get my Doctor interested at all.

Moderation is the key IMO but I know moderation is nowhere on the cigarette smokers radar.
No amount of smoke exposure is safe. Even second hand. I would not smoke a pipe if I had a history of lung cancer or early cancer in the family. I think being healthy comes more from a good diet + genes first. Then the little etcs can mean different things to different systems.

ACS :: Questions About Smoking, Tobacco, and Health

"Research has found that even smoking as few as 1 to 4 cigarettes a day can lead to serious health outcomes, including an increased risk of heart disease and a greater chance of dying at a younger age. "

^^^that is about the amt you get in a pipe daily if not more.

Go Ask Alice!: Cigar and pipe smoking: Safer than cigarettes?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,137,109 times
Actually, when you quit smoking your metabolism slows down. Even though you may be eating healthy, you still may gain weight. This is where exercise is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness