U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:41 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,027,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Well I prefer the way I have seen the healthy people in my family go. I don't really want to smoke a ciggarette or anything of the sort when I think of old men hacking up blood and needing to be manually relieved of his own feces because the morphine they drink to blot of the pain of death stopped the intestines from working.

I don't find ignorance & apathy to be "liberating" functions.

Really? Name a "good" way to die. And, convince me you can chose one of those ways short of deliberate suicide.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
I do not believe in "Destiny" or "Predetermined time" on your life. That makes no sense to me at all.

But whatever. Even if it's so.... If you are to die at a certain age and it is NOT related to inhaling toxic tobacco smoke, what do you think doing something deliberate to your health every single day will do to your health? IMHO if you smoke, you are cutting yourself and your potential health and quality of life very short! Yes you may never get Lung Cancer, Throat Cancer or COPD to the level where you die. But you do risk having breathing problems, and other non life threatening problems. That's if you are lucky!

WHY TAKE THE CHANCE? Why risk it? LIFE IS TOO SHORT!

Oh I know why. You are addicted and your mind works differently than mine.

You know smoking cigarettes really is not all that wonderful of a thing. If you really think about it, it's comical. It becomes so great because of the highly addictive drug in it. I'm sure if you took bark and laced it with Nicotine and smoked it, you would probably like that a lot too... lol

You're making an awful lot of assumptions there and building opinions on them.

Well, that's your opinions. Mine are different, but we can easily co-exist so long as you don't try to FORCE me to live by your opinions.

Therein lies the problems I have with smoke-Nazi's.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:53 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Really? Name a "good" way to die. And, convince me you can chose one of those ways short of deliberate suicide.
I'd really love to put some of these kids in combat and see how long their "attitudes" would last.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I'd really love to put some of these kids in combat and see how long their "attitudes" would last.

Probably about as long as mine and yours did...just long enough to see that death is not friendly or pretty. It's ugly and usually completely pointless.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:45 PM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
I'm finding some posts kind of nostalgic..when I used to smoke I used to justify my habit (defend?) with some of the reasoning I've seen here. My conversation with myself included:

--Well, I'm going to die anyhow, might as well enjoy my life while I'm here.
--The air's polluted, so it doesn't matter if I smoke
--My mother smoked and she lived until she was 80 (but had bad emphysema)
--I don't smoke that much, really, so it's not hurting me (though I had a bad cough and constant sinus headaches)
--I'm stressed out, I need to smoke
--I don't want to gain weight, smoking helps me not eat too much
--I couldn't write as well without my little smoking buddy
--It's impossible to have a cup of coffee or drink and not smoke (or talk on the phone, or drive my car, or wake-up, etc.)

Now that I don't smoke any more, I realize how I was defending my habit. But in my heart of hearts, I knew it was pretty much all untrue...but I didn't want to face the truth. Who does??

Yes, I did gain weight after I quit. About 20 pounds. Food tasted better and I ate more. But a couple of years after quitting, I became something of a gym rat and have learned how to eat a healthy diet, mainly vegetarian. Most of the gained weight has gone away.

One doesn't have to become diabetic OR overweight after quitting. I think you just have to become as loyal to wellness as one was loyal about their addictive habit of smoking. And sometimes, defensive. Some 'friends' get on my case because I do exercise on a regular basis--and they don't. Too bad, it feels good, I keep doing it. A nice habit.

I spend $34/month on my gym membership...far, far less than I used to spend on cigarettes and all the colds I used to get.

If one's looking to defend their smoking habit, there's plenty of ammunition to find of half-truths. But come, on...inside we know when we're fooling ourselves. Inside we know the truth--if we're honest with ourselves.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm finding some posts kind of nostalgic..when I used to smoke I used to justify my habit (defend?) with some of the reasoning I've seen here. My conversation with myself included:

--Well, I'm going to die anyhow, might as well enjoy my life while I'm here.
--The air's polluted, so it doesn't matter if I smoke
--My mother smoked and she lived until she was 80 (but had bad emphysema)
--I don't smoke that much, really, so it's not hurting me (though I had a bad cough and constant sinus headaches)
--I'm stressed out, I need to smoke
--I don't want to gain weight, smoking helps me not eat too much
--I couldn't write as well without my little smoking buddy
--It's impossible to have a cup of coffee or drink and not smoke (or talk on the phone, or drive my car, or wake-up, etc.)

Now that I don't smoke any more, I realize how I was defending my habit. But in my heart of hearts, I knew it was pretty much all untrue...but I didn't want to face the truth. Who does??

Yes, I did gain weight after I quit. About 20 pounds. Food tasted better and I ate more. But a couple of years after quitting, I became something of a gym rat and have learned how to eat a healthy diet, mainly vegetarian. Most of the gained weight has gone away.

One doesn't have to become diabetic OR overweight after quitting. I think you just have to become as loyal to wellness as one was loyal about their addictive habit of smoking. And sometimes, defensive. Some 'friends' get on my case because I do exercise on a regular basis--and they don't. Too bad, it feels good, I keep doing it. A nice habit.

I spend $34/month on my gym membership...far, far less than I used to spend on cigarettes and all the colds I used to get.

If one's looking to defend their smoking habit, there's plenty of ammunition to find of half-truths. But come, on...inside we know when we're fooling ourselves. Inside we know the truth--if we're honest with ourselves.

I think the real difference between you and I is that you still think you have a chance.

You don't, but just haven't realized it yet.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 PM

I will agree that no one should smoke as a habit. That said, there are many reasons to enjoy some of life's pleasures.......once in awhile. To paint all smokers with a broad brush as habituated addicts is just as foolish as saying that all people who eat are going to become obese.

If a pipe of good tobacco, or quality cigar, at the end of the day with your favorite beverage is one of your "rewards" then there is not one thing wrong with that. That is not a habit per se. It is nothing more than a self indulgence as an adult that need not be defended from all the propaganda based rederick that all smoking is bad but must be due to the propaganda that surrounds this topic. If this is so then all food, or many other things, are bad too when they too become habits.

People need to put down the broad brush that paints this topic so darkly and look at the topic outside of the junk science that pervades it so deeply thus demonizing all who just enjoy a pipe or good cigar once in awhile. They are just people who are trying to enjoy one of life's simple pleasure that harms no one not even them.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:43 PM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
I think the real difference between you and I is that you still think you have a chance.
You don't, but just haven't realized it yet.
--Stillkit

Would you expand on this? I don't get the point or meaning. Chance of what? I know I have no chance of getting out of this life alive, but I have a good chance and reality of living my remaining days in wellness..is that what you mean?

Old 01-13-2010, 03:10 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The ones that went in thier sleep. Every healthy person in my family has died this way. I would pick a massive stroke in my sleep over months of chemo any day.

Here is the rub with smoking...you won't know until 20 years on down the line or so. That just ticks me off. With drinking, you feel like crap obviously when you hit your limit of what's considered not a health risk. But you can feel totally fine with smoking for years.

For me it was not just about health. It makes your hair stink, teeth yellow and your skin bad. Not a good look.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
The ones that went in thier sleep. Every healthy person in my family has died this way. I would pick a massive stroke in my sleep over months of chemo any day.

Here is the rub with smoking...you won't know until 20 years on down the line or so. That just ticks me off. With drinking, you feel like crap obviously when you hit your limit of what's considered not a health risk. But you can feel totally fine with smoking for years.

For me it was not just about health. It makes your hair stink, teeth yellow and your skin bad. Not a good look.
It help to remember that all sickness take a lot of years to become noticable to the person or his/her doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness