U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,034,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I think the real difference between you and I is that you still think you have a chance.
You don't, but just haven't realized it yet.--Stillkit

Would you expand on this? I don't get the point or meaning. Chance of what? I know I have no chance of getting out of this life alive, but I have a good chance and reality of living my remaining days in wellness..is that what you mean?
Think about it....how much of your life is REALLY under your control? If you're honest about it, you'll see that the answer is...none of it. Fate, destiny, the hand of God or whatever you want to call it; it has the final say in everything.

Believing we have control is an illusion.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 AM

5,120 posts, read 9,416,029 times
Guess we do have divergent viewpoints...and that's fine, I respect yours. You see, I do think I'm capable of giving Spirit or Higher Power a helping hand in taking care of the corporal body I was lent for my sojourn on Earth...Complete control? No. But a helping hand, definitely. My point of view...

Old 01-14-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Guess we do have divergent viewpoints...and that's fine, I respect yours. You see, I do think I'm capable of giving Spirit or Higher Power a helping hand in taking care of the corporal body I was lent for my sojourn on Earth...Complete control? No. But a helping hand, definitely. My point of view...

LOL I doubt God needs our help!

Have a great time working out and eating right. Think I'll mosey down for some greasy BBQ and cold beer.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 PM

4,626 posts, read 10,500,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Think about it....how much of your life is REALLY under your control? If you're honest about it, you'll see that the answer is...none of it. Fate, destiny, the hand of God or whatever you want to call it; it has the final say in everything.

Believing we have control is an illusion.
What an absolute cop out.....

Must be nice to be completely absolved from any personal responsibility for decisions you make regarding your health.

Interestingly this is the line of reasoning typically used by adolescents not adults.

Any of us could get hit by a bus tomorrow.....but statistically....we won't....

Fact is, most of us will live to a ripe old age and the decisions we make in regards to smoking, drinking to excess, eating to excess, exercising WILL ABSOLUTELY play a role in determining not only WHAT AGE but WHAT QUALITY OF LIFE will be attained during those golden years....

Old 01-15-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What an absolute cop out.....

Must be nice to be completely absolved from any personal responsibility for decisions you make regarding your health.

Interestingly this is the line of reasoning typically used by adolescents not adults.

Any of us could get hit by a bus tomorrow.....but statistically....we won't....

Fact is, most of us will live to a ripe old age and the decisions we make in regards to smoking, drinking to excess, eating to excess, exercising WILL ABSOLUTELY play a role in determining not only WHAT AGE but WHAT QUALITY OF LIFE will be attained during those golden years....

Prove it. Don't come back with just better odds...prove it "ABSOLUTELY."

And, by the way, while it may not be statistically likely that you'll get run over by a bus, there is a 100% certainty that something will sneak up and get you some day. No matter how "healthy" you live or how "safe" you think you are, it'll find you when you least expect it and your death will have nothing to do with all the sweating, worrying and denying yourself.

Last edited by stillkit; 01-15-2010 at 06:46 AM..

Old 01-15-2010, 11:28 AM

So based on the logic of putting my future in the hands of fate/God, I guess I should also cease changing the oil in my car, doing any other maintenance on it, and forget putting air in the tires. Uber fate will take care of those things for me, and they don't matter anyhow.

I might as well enjoy driving my car for as long as it lasts as I have no control over the outcome or its longevity....

Old 01-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
So based on the logic of putting my future in the hands of fate/God, I guess I should also cease changing the oil in my car, doing any other maintenance on it, and forget putting air in the tires. Uber fate will take care of those things for me, and they don't matter anyhow.

I might as well enjoy driving my car for as long as it lasts as I have no control over the outcome or its longevity....

Your car is a machine; your body is not. Your car is not designed to regulate itself or cleanse itself; your body is.

And, by the way, you routinely drive your car without giving a thought to the front wheel bearings because they no longer need packing. In other words, you don't question the cars maker and trust them explicitly to make sure your car works whenever you want it to. Yet, you don't trust the maker of your body? With your car, the best you get is a limited warranty good for 50,000 miles or 5 years. With your body, the manufacturer comes with it!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Sorry, that's not a convincing argument. There's absolutely no difference in putting a cup of sugar in the gas tank of my car and watch it falter and fail and putting a cup of partially hydrogenated fat into my body and watching it seize up and fail.

I tend to take at least as good care of my body as I do my car--and honor it by not dumping toxic sludge into its operating system. And it rewards me by running effiiciently. We are only as good as our fuel and operating conditions.

A car that sits and sits and is never run fails to start--its systems clog up and fail to ignite. And personally, I'm not at all interested in putting jumper cables on my heart...

Old 01-15-2010, 01:52 PM

4,626 posts, read 10,500,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Prove it. Don't come back with just better odds...prove it "ABSOLUTELY."

And, by the way, while it may not be statistically likely that you'll get run over by a bus, there is a 100% certainty that something will sneak up and get you some day. No matter how "healthy" you live or how "safe" you think you are, it'll find you when you least expect it and your death will have nothing to do with all the sweating, worrying and denying yourself.
Completely irrational....

No sense continuing this line of "lack of reason"

You win.

You are absolutely right.

No one has ever died from smoking, boozing, drugging, gluttony....it was "just their time"

Old 01-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Completely irrational....

No sense continuing this line of "lack of reason"

You win.

You are absolutely right.

No one has ever died from smoking, boozing, drugging, gluttony....it was "just their time"

Can't prove it "ABSOLUTELY," huh? Don't feel too badly; no one else has ever met that challenge either.

In any case, the point isn't that cigarettes are safe. Of course they aren't. Neither are a lot of things, but nobody is on a crusade against every other cause of death. Sure, there are crusades against some other causes, but none rise to the level of panic and fear that smoking generates. Why? What makes people so afraid of cigarettes, but not in such a sweat over any of the other million causes of death?

It's because cigarettes are the cause du jour, the latest favorite of the fear mongers who play on our natural aversion to death. That campaign has little to do with health and much to do with money, power, influence and control. Want proof? Ask yourself why cigarettes haven't just been banned outright. If they're THAT dangerous, surely they could be outlawed. But, they haven't been and that's your clue. Instead, they've become a major source of revenue for all levels of government and, worse, an accepted excuse to increase government involvement in our personal lives.

And you fell for it! Your fear of death has let you be manipulated into not only supporting higher taxes and increased government intrusion upon our basic liberty of free choice, you've even gone so far as to disparage and look down on your fellow citizens for exercising the same freedom of choice which you, yourself, practice. Worse, having succeeded in creating a panic over tobacco, the fear merchants are now going after "unhealthy" foods and I suspect you'll support that too, right?

Yes, people have probably died from the direct effects of smoking or gluttony or booze or drugs, but they've died from a million other causes too. Can we be made safe from all of them? Will we eventually come to the point that we've surrendered so much freedom and so much money that we'll be protected from all forms of death? No, that day will never come. We will all die. Period.

So, it seems to me that instead of spending a lifetime worrying about how I'll die, instead of denying myself a good bit of what makes life fun and enjoyable to only die from something else, instead of living in angst and worry about things over which I have no control, I think I'll just keep smoking and eating what I like.

Life is too short my friend. We only go around once and that's a very, very brief window of time. The Bible says life is like a mist which disappears when the sun comes up and that's the fact of it. Instead of worrying about how it ends, how about enjoying every day of it and doing what Solomon suggested in Ecclesiasties: Love God, keep His Commandments and do good works. Forget the rest of it.

While you're over there in a smoke-free restaurant choking down tofu and brussel sprouts, analyzing the data from your last physical ("Uh oh. Cholesterol is up!"), counting the pills your doctor gave you and worrying that you'll get to the gym on time, I'll be next door laid back with a greasy BBQ sandwich, lard-fried potatoes, drinking cold beer and smoking cigarettes on the outside patio.

And you know what? Statistically, we'll both die from some cause completely unrelated to either my carelessness or your diligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.