U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:37 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,112,779 times

Advertisements

Just had this. Worst pain I have ever had. Just wondering about others who have had and what you've done, did you get them again etc.

Based on my initial research, the "big 3" on this are:

- drink lots of water
- low salt intake
- low protein intake

Other factors which appear to contribute are too much Vitamin A and D, and, oddly, dark green vegetables, grapefruit juice, aspirin, and antacids. Nuts and chocolate should also be avoided
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 AM

595 posts, read 711,127 times
Default Kidney Stones-prevention

Excellent question and although I'am far from being an expert I do have some information or list:

Lower protein diet
Limit your intake of Spring water,mineralized drinking water
Increase intake of vinegar will prevent & treat existing stones
Lower intake od salt but remember we need sodium so don't go cold turkey
Go to Google : Kidney Healthy Diet (Red Peppers,Cabbage etc.)
Drink 8 glasses of Aquafina or filtered water
No need to reduce calcium intake
Stay in the loop with MD/labs (urine)(kidney ultrasound)
Reduce soda intake
eliminate all processed foods
Read labels on foods for soups,sauces,packaged foods hot dogs many
range 750mg-1300 shop for low sodium products

Old 01-06-2010, 05:26 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Kidney stones come in several completely different chemical combinations. You have to have one lab analyzed to see what it is made of, before you can try to prevent more of them from forming. No trick will work for all of them.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:48 PM

9 posts, read 6,817 times
Hi all,
I have suffered from kidney stones since I was 24....I can tell you for sure that it all depends on the type of kidney stone.
It's all relative to the stone pH.
Sure, the big 3 in the OP are the "base" to lower the risk of kidney stones formation, but there are other things to consider.

As I said a moment ago, it all depends on the pH. If the stones have an acidic base such as "uric acid", whichever (pass me the term) concoction that makes the urine alkaline, it can be very helpful, and the same applies to the opposite.
The only exception are "calcium oxalate" stones, because they are not linked with the urine pH.

In my case (uric acid stones) a large glass of lemon juice in the morning (each day) has made a difference. However, it's best to ask your doctor before ingest any DIY remedy.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:46 PM

484 posts, read 588,103 times
I have recurring calcium oxalate stones. Large ones that form quickly. I now drink 40-70 oz of water a day, and 6-8oz of lemon juice with it. I don't really limit other intake other than somewhat avoiding foods in high oxalate, although when I do eat asparagus or strawberries, etc I make sure to pair it with calcium intake of some sort.

ETA: oops I didn't realize this was an aging thread prior to replying.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:43 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,984,874 times
Take magnesium and B6. Been through kidney stones a few times without realizing what it was till the last time when I passed them one after the other for three weeks with several getting lodged in my ureter. I eventually had to have them removed (2.5 years ago). Haven't had them since.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:13 AM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
My doctor had me drink cranberry juice, disolved them within 24 hours.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:04 PM

4,248 posts, read 10,227,025 times
I've got one that's 4mm and had the worst pain of my life last Sunday when I guess it was passing the kidney? It felt like I pulled a muscle at first but the pain got worse as time went by. 4 hrs later I had my wife take me to the ER because the pain was to much to bear for hours on end. I had a cat scan done which confirmed the stone and size.

My question is, how long does it take to pass? Tomorrow will be day 6. I still have a bit of discomfort which feels like lower back pain. I really hope it doesn't get stuck. The one thing I'm deadly afraid of is a catheter. I can still remember hearing my uncle on his bed at the hospital getting his pulled out. Those screams are still etched in my memory.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:07 PM

4,248 posts, read 10,227,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
My doctor had me drink cranberry juice, disolved them within 24 hours.

Seriously? Just regular cranberry juice?

Old 11-22-2013, 08:26 PM

13,486 posts, read 29,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
Seriously? Just regular cranberry juice?
Cranberry juice is high in oxalates. Bad for kidney stones.

You need lots of citric acid, which is found in lemon juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness