U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 12:48 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times

Advertisements

gentlearts wrote:
Forcing myself to count my blessings, no matter how small, seems to help crown out the worries also.
I find that simply remembering to count my blessings is less stressful than forcing myself to count my blessings, but either way works just fine!

I often practice the Essene Blessing Walk. I think you might like it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,767,065 times
Yes, I worry about everything. I have literally worried so much that I have made myself sick/given myself a headache. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder several years ago (my father also has it). At one point the doctor put me on anxiety meds but I felt horrible on them. I now go without meds and work my best to control it on my own.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:46 AM

2,705 posts, read 2,981,727 times
gentlearts
Quote:
I have worries that cloud my every waking moment, so that I have trouble experiencing any joy at all anymore.
They are about things that I have little conrol over, yet they affect me deeply. They are about the health and well being of grown children whose actions I can't control, and the worry that we'll never have enough money again.
I know these things are easier said than done, and it is fine for others to 'tell you what to do' and it is another thing completely to be living the life of worry.

However, there are a few things which can be learned to manage your stress/worry/fear. The first thing is to realise that you do not do anyone else any good to worry. What will happen will happen - whether you worry about it or not. Most importantly of all, you harm yourself which if you think about it, the person we are worrying about would definitely NOT want.

Many times our worries arise out of fears. Fears of harm happening to those we love, or fears of money shortages, these are the types of things people generally tend to worry about. Often too, we try to control things which are not in our power to control which means that we have a tendency to fear that which is un-controlled in our life.

As Cosmic Wizard says, maybe the way to reduce this fear is to re-program your mind. Sounds pretty severe, doesn't it? In actual fact all it needs is for you to repeat a statement first thing on waking up and last thing before sleep at night. This could be something like "I am safe and secure in a world that loves and supports me".

I have used this in the past, and after a while it "goes inside". I cannot really explain this except that that is what it felt like to me. Maybe it is when our subconscious accepts it, I dont know, but this positive statement works. You may not believe it at first, but if you keep doing it (because you think it is worthwhile), eventually it will take root. Obviously, don't do it just because I suggest it. Think about whether you want to do it, and whether it represents what you want to reprogram your mind with.

The other thing to try is something called EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) and it is really good. I have posted about this before because I think it is so good. It is free and takes only a few minutes to address each little worry or fear. Both sites are the official ones I think. EFTUniverse.com and EFT Home - World Center for EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) They have free videos and free manuals to teach yourself and it is not difficult at all.

One last thing, if you cannot go to sleep, get someone to rub your feet. It brings the energy down from your head (where you have wound it up there by worrying) and distributes it more evenly throughout your body. Yoga would probably do the same thing too.

So, stop, take a deep breath, and make a plan of action to do things which will help your worry. Dont be hard on yourself if you miss a few times, the point is to start loving and respecting yourself a bit more and beating yourself up wont help that. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness