U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 09:09 AM

8,998 posts, read 12,776,443 times

Advertisements

I normally listen to Diane Rehm in the morning.
Yesterday they talked about the power of a checklist in hospitals.

Using a checklist in hospitals has saved a lot of money.
For example, one children's hospital had a high number of kids coming in for issues with asthma. Guess what the majority of revenue came from? Kids with asthma.
As they started to use a checklist, the number of kids coming in with asthma issues dropped dramatically.

Isn't it sad that the better a job a hospital does, the more money they stand to lose? Sometimes I think hospitals aren't doing certain things because they are rewarded (financially) for doing things wrong.

In the January issue of Popular Science, they showed this quick hand washing machine. It's called the HyGreen system. It reminds them to scrub- and keeps a record who doesn't. A wireless monitor on the bed searches for a message that the person has washed their hands. If they haven't, their badge vibrates and it reminds them to sanitize their hands. They installed one in a hospital and the number of patients contracting infections in the hospital went down to zero. Sometimes hospitals get paid lots of money by insurance companies when a patient is stuck in the hospital with a nasty infection. Some insurance companies refuse to pay for it so the hospital has to dip in it's pockets and pay for it, which I think they should.

If you're interested in the power of a checklist, you can listen to the interview here: WAMU 88.5 FM American University Radio - The Diane Rehm Show for Wednesday January 6, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,620,513 times
They guy they interviewed wrote a book about using checklists. After listening to the interview, I think I'm going to get it as my next audio book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness