U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 05:19 PM

869 posts, read 2,601,371 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Our 16 year old son began experiencing seizures last July. We had every test done that one could think of. He was prescribed Carbatrol but the symptoms are starting to return and his neurologist agreed to switch him to Keppra.

My wife went to pick up the prescription and found it was written as the generic. Folks she polled at her large company said either they have never had the generic for their child, or were persuaded to go with the brand name.

We are reaching out to any and all with experience in this situation to see if:

a.) Keppra, works well for you? Any bad side effects (we heard temper flashes can occur).
b.) Generic okay? What would NOT be suitable with the generic vs. the brand name.

Many thanks in advance. We are sick of seeing our teenage boy sitting there in total confusion and unaware of his surroundings at unpredictable times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:58 PM

223 posts, read 502,844 times
Ask your pharmacist/doctor to explain the therapeutic index. It is preferable for a drug to have a high therapeutic index, as does Levetiracetam.

Contrary to popular belief, generics and brand are not ALWAYS equal nor do generics undergo vigorous clinical trials. Additionally, each brand of generic medications may be slightly different. So, what may work well one month, may not work well or be as well tolerated the following month. It is nearly impossible to request a particular brand of generic medication. With brand name medications, you will receive the identical medication each month.

I never allow any loved one to take a generic unless the original brand is no longer manufactured.

I hope you are able to find a treatment plan that works well for your son.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Rocks View Post
Ask your pharmacist/doctor to explain the therapeutic index. It is preferable for a drug to have a high therapeutic index, as does Levetiracetam.

Contrary to popular belief, generics and brand are not ALWAYS equal nor do generics undergo vigorous clinical trials. Additionally, each brand of generic medications may be slightly different. So, what may work well one month, may not work well or be as well tolerated the following month. It is nearly impossible to request a particular brand of generic medication. With brand name medications, you will receive the identical medication each month.

I never allow any loved one to take a generic unless the original brand is no longer manufactured.

Alf_Rocks, Thank you very, very much for this information.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:31 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,865,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Rocks View Post

I guess I have to agree with you on that one. I don't know if you can get the pharmacist to really agree with you for sure. You will also have to get your doctor to write the prescription "medically necessary" plus probably get a prior autorization from your insurance and be prepared to pay a much higher co pay. I have had many people say the generics on some drugs just don't quite measure up but I don't feel like the pharmacists really care or they feel like the patients are to stupid to know what they are talking about

Old 01-08-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I guess I have to agree with you on that one. I don't know if you can get the pharmacist to really agree with you for sure. You will also have to get your doctor to write the prescription "medically necessary" plus probably get a prior autorization from your insurance and be prepared to pay a much higher co pay. I have had many people say the generics on some drugs just don't quite measure up but I don't feel like the pharmacists really care or they feel like the patients are to stupid to know what they are talking about

That sure makes sense. A generic I took for a short time for other issues did not do the job. After the doc switched me back to name brand I was fine again.

Thanks for your input. Welcome anything I can get!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness