U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:09 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,334,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgb View Post
I have been getting chest and jaw pain for about two weeks now. I also have been sharp pain on the left part of my chest where my heart is. A couple days ago, I had pressure in my chest, sweating and difficulty breathing, and lasted for about 15 minutes, which are signs of a heart attack or other heart conditions.

I had an EKG which came out normal. I got a chest x-ray done and x-ray of the neck and jaw. If the EKG came out normal, could there maybe be a start of something related to the heart? At the time of the EKG, I didn't have that episode I had a couple days ago (sweating, pressure in chest, and trouble breathing) Is that why the EKG came back normal?

I still have chest and jaw pain now. I also feel lightheaded at times for a couple weeks now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Cassie
Quote:
Thank you for replying. I have been dizzy for most of the day and it started today. I still have the chest and jaw pain that stayed the same. Are these signs of something serious?

Cassie
Quote:
Thank you for replying. I am diagnosed with Costochondritis and I get very bad chest pains, with pains in my upper ribs and up to my jaw. Everything came out normal EKG, bloodwork, chest x-ray, etc. I am on pain medications that are not working. I will be getting a cortisone injection in my chest eventually. I have Costochondritis for almost 2 months now.

I also had 5 episodes of trouble breathing and pressure in my chest. In fact, I woke up at 2 in the morning on Thursday and I had trouble breathing. My question is even though that it is Costochondritis, how do I know the episodes I am having are not from a heart attack?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Cassie
Quote:
Thank you for replying. I also get rapid heart beats with my Costochondritis. I also have trouble breathing and tightness in my chest at times. Should I go to the hospital?
Cassie
Quote:
Thank you for replying. I have another question. I woke up early morning with trouble breathing and tightness in my chest with the constant bad chest pain. My question is: Did I actually stop breathing for a little while when I was sleeping and then some sginal in my brain caused me to wake up because there was a problem or did I have trouble breathing and then wake up shortly thereafter? After I woke up, I did have trouble breathing for a little while and then I was able to go back to sleep.

Can that actually happen where someone stops breathing while sleeping for maybe a second before they realize it?

Also, my chest pain is really bad and I have pain radiaitng to my arms, back, jaw and upper ribs.

Cassie

Have you even been to a cardiologist yet? You've had these symptoms for two months and just keep asking the same questions on here. Didn't the ER give you a referral to a cardiologist when you went the first time?

I'm beginning to think that this is a hoax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 08:12 PM
tgb tgb started this thread

11 posts, read 110,666 times
Default Chest and Jaw Pain

This is not a hoax. The pain is getting bad. I ask the same questions becasue I get confused about this. I have never had chest pains liek this before. Thiis is not a hoax!! Why the heck would you even think that? I have been in tears alot because of the pain. I am going back to the hospital for my appointment Thursday.

Last edited by tgb; 02-12-2010 at 08:27 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 08:49 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,334,554 times
Cassie-

Thank you for the e-mail. I apologize for sounding harsh and realize that part of my reaction was BC my DH had symptoms for weeks before he died suddenly. His business partner was telling him to go to the doctor, I was telling him. But he would not go. The night before he died we were out eating and I tried tough love humor, telling him- "Look, what if you have a heart attack and you don't die, but end up paralyzed? Can you imagine having to put up with me ragging on you while wiping your butt for the rest of your life?! Let me take you to the emergency room." He laughed, but would not go. The next morning our oldest found him sitting on the couch, dead.

Go to the ER immediately if you are worried, keep your appointment on Thursday, but get a referral to a cardiologist while there and ask them to call and set up the appointment. They can often get one sooner than you could as a new patient.

Again, I am sorry that I doubted you, but since I couldn't grab you by your shoulders and shake some sense into you, I chose the next best thing

Old 02-12-2010, 09:35 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,070,616 times
I"m going to throw my two cents in. Panic attacks can mimic a heart attack. Fear will make you sweat; so will hormones. Mumps will cause jaw pain; it will show up in the CBC. And I believe it is the pituitary that can cause a rapid heart beat; it can be controlled with a beta-blocker. None of it will kill you.

The jaw pain is much different. It is aften an indication of a problem on the back side of the heart, whereas the chest pain is an indication of a problem with the front of the heart.

The only proceedure I know of that finds it is the Angiogram. I've had 13 years of caring for a heart patient - who started out with the jaw pain. Did the Angiogram and a year later was having heart surgery. I don't know all the answers, but I have a few clues. This is one of them: You have a choice. You can have an Angiogram or wait to die. .

When a person only has one functioning artery. a lot of bad things can happen very quickly ..... and if often does. The second time my patient had jaw pain, the 12 hours surgery was performed 30 hours later on Thanksgiving. The Prognosis was 90 days. It is possible to live a long life after heart surgery providing the patient is willing to change his/her life style and adopt a heart healty diet.

I had a friend with a heart problem, who whould not do either. His wife came for lunch and found him dead in the bathroom where he bled out. It is the last memory the child has of her dad.

Good luck.

Last edited by linicx; 02-12-2010 at 11:18 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 08:03 PM
tgb tgb started this thread

11 posts, read 110,666 times
Default Chest and Jaw Pain

Thank you for replying. I still have the symptoms, but they got worse. I am having very bad chest and jaw pain. Also, pain in both arms and shoulders, and in my neck. I noticed also, when I take my pulse it skips beats and then sometimes it is a faint pulse and sometimes it is a rapid pulse. I am seeing a Cardiologist next week. I am thinking the leaky valve is causing my symptoms. I have been crying because the pain is so bad. I also have a heart murmur and the doctor said it sounds like a whooshing sound.
Cassie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness