Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 11:16 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,988 times

Advertisements

Well it's that time of year again. I'm only eczema free during the winters sadly. I'm not sure if it is the climate or the temp. The climate, as in pollen and overall heating up outside compared to being colder in the winders where all of that is suppressed(?). I know it is not (directly) my diet because I eat the same things in the winter that I do yearly yet I never get eczema until it starts to get hot outside and stay hot.

How do you treat it? I've tried everything from coco butter to seeing a dermatologist. The dermatologist I saw gave me a bag of samples filled with generic over the counter medicines like Cetaphil and junk. I have the itchyness on my hands but the flakyness sometimes in my hair (not bumps, hair just itches or burns often though) and my neck along with my thigh sometimes. I only get the bumps on my hands though.

What are some good methods to suppress eczema? I know to drink a lot of water and eat healthy but what else? Any safe creams or something?? I get stressed because I see the eczema then the stress just causes more eczema which stresses me out even more..

Last edited by Anders15; 03-10-2010 at 11:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 12:02 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
I can suffer psoriasis. Different I realize.

I have a prescription for Elocon lotion which I use on my head from time to time if I have an outbreak but rarely these days since I cut down on saturated fats and concentrated on good oils. I've also cut right down on alcohol. AND I have Diprosone OV Cream for my skin if I have a break out. Both are corticosteroids and believe me I am VERY sparing in my use of either.

I also take a combination of vitamins that my doctor has approved that I find help me but your situation is different so not sure it would be of any help.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:35 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I have had eczema since birth. I have to use prescription creams, cortisone and stuff like that. Mine has been very severe at some points in my life but now it's not so bad. I always have a couple patches on my body somewhere, usually small, but it's manageable.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:16 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Try to lighten the load on your body with using products that are natural. The stuff you wash your clothing with (dryer sheets too) , try another sensitive soap.

Get a mattress and pillow cover that is made to seal in allergen stuff.

Have you tried neem soap and neem oil yet? If not, give those a try. Take down itchy swelling with plain aloe gel. Pop it in the fridge for added anti-itch cooling feeling.

Have you tried all natural sea salt soaks?

If you are on any medications run this by your doctor but red clover tea is a great all natural option to treat allergy type issues.

Have you tried sleeping in only cotton sheets and pjs?

A nightly hand lotion with neem or tea tree may help. They also make shampoos with neem and/or tea tree to get in your scalp area.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:33 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Like Ceecee, I've had some terrible bouts with excema over the years. A hydro-cortisone cream helps when needed. I use cotton balls to apply the cream. Perhaps you're trying too many different products? I go to the stores and am amused at all the shampoos and conditioners that are out there now compared to the 60's/70's era. When a product doesn't seem to sell to the manufacturer's expectations, they have this funny way of either changing up the formula of said product and/or repackaging. What worked for me in a particular shampoo, since it was re-formulated, no longer holds my interest. Either I don't like the smell anymore, doesn't do the job as expected, or something in it has started me itching again.
Changing more than two products [laundry detergent and shower gel] at the same time can create problems for me.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I have had great luck recently with Dermarest, purchased over the counter. The prescription creams would clear up the eczema, but leave my skin so dry it would crack. The Dermarest has enough moisturizer in it to prevent the cracks.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:56 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,988 times
Thanks everyone all of this advice is new to me. I've been using Dove soap and Aveeno lotion but I will try some of these other methods also.

I don't use a lot of creams, I actually didn't use any I knew they would just cause problems so I just stick with the lotion.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:25 PM

749 posts, read 2,438,961 times
I'd try different dermatologists till I found one that can get it under control. I had it 20 years ago real bad on my arm and that dermatologist gave me a shot in the rear ( it was a huge needle) and some cortisone cream and it vanished. About 2 years ago the symptoms again started and that time I put cider vinegar on it and it cleared up after a couple days.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Also see: Eczema

and: severe eczema

Old 03-13-2010, 04:21 PM

27 posts, read 128,843 times
I give one of my younger cousins 200% natural Shea butter and authenitc black soap (which is actually brown) to help with her eczema, as she suffers from it on her face, neck, and arms and this is what has been really helpful for her for the past 2 years. Cocoa butter and brands that may contain a small % of deoderized shea isn't as strong when compared to the real thing, they both are a rich source in vitamins E and C. And topical steroids such as corticosteroids can help the skin's situation, but also risk in possibly thinning the skin if used for a longer period of time, as there are other alternatives. But, also looking at the foods that will aggravate the eczema is best to limit or avoid all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness