U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What merits more research funding?
Cancer 39 69.64%
AIDS 2 3.57%
They both should be funded equally 14 25.00%
I don't know 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,483,936 times

Advertisements

What are the "cures" for AIDS?
Cancer is not a singular disease. For instance, the herpes virus being linked to cervical cancer. Kaposi's Sarcoma appearing in people with collapsed immune systems. I think the causes need to be investigated a lot further- chemicals in environment/food. Treatments are going to evolve or be considered based partly on causation.
It's is well known now how HIV spreads. The Ryan White situation (presumably an "innocent" victim) was before blood in the U.S. was routinely tested. The woman with the dentist was very questionable- not at all clear that her story was true.
A *cure* for HIV would be a marvelous breakthrough throughout the world. Now, in developed countries, it's well known how it's spread and how to prevent it.Prevention might be more emphasized.
Something I note is that current (expensive) drug regimens to extend life, but don't change infection- so people who are being successfully treated are still able to infect others, plus the current treatments fail a significant number of people (15%?) and can be lethal in themselves. It would appear that a "cure" is nowhere near in sight.
I don't know how much should be allocated to this illness or that. Depends on how much research is going to help how many people. Of course, the research is largely for the benefit of people in developed countries, and doesn't take into account the larger numbers of people affected in poor places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 01:46 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,240,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
What are the "cures" for AIDS?
Cancer is not a singular disease. For instance, the herpes virus being linked to cervical cancer. Kaposi's Sarcoma appearing in people with collapsed immune systems. I think the causes need to be investigated a lot further- chemicals in environment/food. Treatments are going to evolve or be considered based partly on causation.
It's is well known now how HIV spreads. The Ryan White situation (presumably an "innocent" victim) was before blood in the U.S. was routinely tested. The woman with the dentist was very questionable- not at all clear that her story was true.
A *cure* for HIV would be a marvelous breakthrough throughout the world. Now, in developed countries, it's well known how it's spread and how to prevent it.Prevention might be more emphasized.
Something I note is that current (expensive) drug regimens to extend life, but don't change infection- so people who are being successfully treated are still able to infect others, plus the current treatments fail a significant number of people (15%?) and can be lethal in themselves. It would appear that a "cure" is nowhere near in sight.
I don't know how much should be allocated to this illness or that. Depends on how much research is going to help how many people. Of course, the research is largely for the benefit of people in developed countries, and doesn't take into account the larger numbers of people affected in poor places.
Dr. Sebi in Honduras has DOCUMENTED PROOF that his treatments have cured more than one case of HIV and full blown AIDS. But you see, Dr. Sebi is a little eccentric, a little "out there" and so he does not get the credibility as a healer that he deserves.

Conventional medicine will not open its eyes to cures unless they fall within strict guidelines. They do not care if people are healed or cured if it does not come from a conventional medical doctor. They will not accept or listen to any other concept. And so MILLIONS of people die because the American Medical Association is so stubborn and arrogant that they think that no one else on earth can cure or heal except them. They would not even accept if God did it, unless He had a medical license.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-11-2010, 02:21 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,311,199 times
While AIDS is a terrible thing, the simple numbers are that more people get cancer every year, then there are new cases of AIDS.

Simple numbers would suggest that if one problem is worse than the other, then you spend more money on the bigger issue.

We should continue with funding for a cure for AIDS though, not saying we should cancel all funding for AIDS.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:38 PM

20,560 posts, read 22,721,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
No offense I think this is a ridiculous question. They are both awful disease that need to be cured, need the financing and the research.

To be cured or slowed ASAP!!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 PM

14,299 posts, read 20,550,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Cancer;kils more people and aids is preventable by behavior. Many cancers are not.
Really naive.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:37 PM

516 posts, read 1,194,537 times
Thankfully there seems to be so much happening in cancer research that they are really hoping for more cures within our lifetime..
Scientists Unraveling the Cancer Genome - CBS News

My husband had/has melanoma, and so I know how horrible the disease can be.. thankfully there are so many breakthroughs...

I voted for cancer as there are ways of preventing aids (other than babies who are born with it, which is the saddest thing IMO) but that's certainly not the case for cancer.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:25 PM

14,299 posts, read 20,550,720 times
mamaecho, I am so sorry. I hope your husband beats melanoma.

Cancer for me is closer to the heart. My best friend died three years from leukemia, my sister was diagnosed last week from leukemia, a coworker is a breast cancer survivor.

I still don't think I could chose saying this person derserves it more than that person.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 PM

132 posts, read 377,638 times
Breast cancer is the only cancer I ever hear about, seems to get huge portion of funding.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:35 PM

Yes, that's very true. It's hard for me to see that constantly because I feel like other people who have different types of cancer get no air time at all.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
mamaecho, I am so sorry. I hope your husband beats melanoma.

Cancer for me is closer to the heart. My best friend died three years from leukemia, my sister was diagnosed last week from leukemia, a coworker is a breast cancer survivor.

I still don't think I could chose saying this person derserves it more than that person.
Thanks, I appreciate it! he's 14 months clean thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness