U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 07:37 PM

25 posts, read 65,183 times

Advertisements

Last month I posted that I had Sjogren's Syndrome. I went to a Rheumatologist DR (RDR), he is convinced it's RA primary with perhaps Sjogren's secondary. I'm on prednisone 20 mg, hydroxychlor (Plaquinal), starting Methotrexate and folic acid tomorrow.

The prednisone has basically allowed me to have movement back and no swelling. I praise God for this. I'm a little apprehensive about starting the Methotrexate tomorrow, but as the doctor said the WBC (white blood cells) have to be stomped into submission or they'll destroy my joints.

I have no knee problems, but sometimes my feet feel like they have hairline fractures, my right bicep muscle is quite sore, if I wasn't on Prednisone, I would have a wall of pain right now.

Anyway, my question is anyone out there on Meth, that is Methotrexate? I will be increasing on the prescribed folic acid, by taking B 12 and trying to stay on raw fruits and vegetables. I drink green tea or water! I had to stop my iv coffee cup of 20-40 ounces per day.

Last edited by ConnieJoe; 01-10-2010 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: add a sentence
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:44 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,497,983 times
I am not on it (though it is suspected that I may have RA), but my sister was. Her RA is very aggressive, though, and the meth didn't help her enough. She then switched to Imuran, and onward to the biologics. First was Embrel, then Humira, now Cimzia. Still, she's miserable. I hope you do better than she does - honestly, it sounds like you already are.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 PM

Default Dear Emeraldmaiden

The first 24 hours on Prednisone, I saw a marked difference. I have totally changed my diet as well. I eat primarily veggies and fruit, nuts, almonds, brazil nuts oatmeal toasted. No sugar, no red meat, plenty of water and oh yea pray! I'm sorry about your sister. I'm also on Plaquinal, and folic acid, I take additional B Complex vitamins the day before I take the Meth and that day too. I did get diarreah from the Meth and I only started this week (3), next week will be (4) etc, till I'm up to (7). I don't know what the higher doses will do. My husband and I are just holding our breath!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:27 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,497,983 times
I wish you all the best, ConnieJoe! RA is such a difficult disease, and few people understand how hard it can be. I do think diet is an important part of managing - have you seen Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com They have not just normal nutritional information, but information on inflammation for each food, as well.

Last edited by Emeraldmaiden; 01-12-2010 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: spelling fail

Old 01-12-2010, 08:44 PM

Default Didn't mean to sound flippant, I apologize.

Dear Emeraldmaiden, I'm sure my days and years ahead will be difficult, I couldn't basically move or sleep or do anything all of December, I'm not immune to pain. I've experienced about 10 operations, my daughter suffers badly with Lupus SLE and I almost lost her in 1995 when she was 17. I praise God she has had good Rheumatologists and is still alive, she's 32.

It's just right now, this week, the medications are working for me. I praise God for that. I'll check out the site you mentioned too.

Thank you for your input, that's why I'm here, to learn more about what I'm dealing with.

Have a good evening. Connie

Old 02-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Anyone ever take Humira? I have RA and the doctor wants me to take it? Does anyone know what the cost would be? And how much do you take monthly? (I may have to do everyother week, I think.) Same about Reclast for Osteo, anyone know what the cost of that IV treatment runs? Just need a ballpark so I can brace myself.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:16 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,446,580 times
I have RA, and I've taken everything you've mentioned except for Humira. The Prednisone didn't help at all, couldn't even tell I was on it, so I finally told him "No more!" because I gained weight from it. The methotrexate has been the only medicine I couldn't take in my whole life. It made me edgy, snappy, and wanting to climb the walls. It's very strong. We replaced that with Arava. I take quite a few medicines, and am enrolled in a clinical trial, which has saved my life. I had gotten to the point where I couldn't walk, sit, lay down. I had to lean against something all the time., and was in serious pain 24/7. I told my Dr. I would not be able to live like that, that's no life at all.

This medicine on the trial is called MRA. I've been on it for over 4 years, but, it just became approved, and will soon be available to the public. It will easily cost over a thousand $$$ every month. I plan on just keeping a tab, and making it like a regular bill every month. Thats what I've done before. I'm not sure about the Humira , but, I do know that it's expensive. I'll ask when I get my monthly infusion on the 16th.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Thanks Jess5, I'm going down on Prednisone, Doctor wants to put me on Reclast, as I have Osteoperosis which is apparently a larger concern....awaiting Insurance company information. Humira is another drug I need to take for the RA. After consulting with the doctor at length, he has made a frontal attack on RA and Osteo. Each time I ask him, "so I have to be on this drug the rest of my life?" He always says no. I don't know how Reclast or Humira will affect me, nor do I know what the cost would be. I don't have that kind of money. I think Methrotrexate is affecting me as it did you snappy, edgy and as far as climbing the walls, I exert that energy in vaccuming, cleaning, ironing, sewing, whatever keeps me busy and out of trouble. I have no patience/very short fuse for people who treat me poorly (mostly self centered family members, who happily live far away)! I've surrounded myself with those who love me and I love them. I think that is the best we can do for ourselves.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,446,580 times
Yes! I had 0 patience! I'm somewhat surprised that your Dr. is telling you that you wont need those meds for the rest of your life. He thinks you will get over this? I sure hope you do. I don't have all that money either. Thats why I treat it like another monthly bill, and just pay on it. Unless I win the lottery, I cant see ever paying it off. Why don't you ask your dr. if he can put you on a clinical trial?

Old 02-07-2010, 03:53 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,527,133 times
Daughter can't take Meth...got pnenumonia from it...did the Humera and it worked wonders....until she had the reaction from it and had to stop. I believe it was around $800/ $1000 a month.
Same thing with Enbrel....effective but caused a reaction so had to stop.
Was nice while it lasted. Hope it does as well for you (minus the reaction)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness