U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:19 AM

22,745 posts, read 21,804,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Just because this poster wasn't deathly ill means they didn't have the flu? There are mild cases of the flu just like there are mild cases of any other disease. Not everyone gets deathly ill as evidenced by all the reports of those who had the swine flu, not everyone got as sick.
I know a guy who had a confirmed case of H1N1 and he said that he just wasn't that sick, that another time he'd had the flu it was much worse.

A few years ago my Mother went to see her Doc because she had a "bad cold" that she couldn't shake. She was positive for flu. She was quite surprised because she didn't have typical symptoms.

I had a bad case of flu in 1989. I'll never forget what that felt like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 12:29 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,936,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Not true...

Lots of people "think" they have the flu when they really have another viral illness, stomach "flu" etc...

Influenza by definition includes high fever 100 to 104 typically, almost always SEVERE muscle aches and pain, headaches, eye pain and MUST include upper respiratory symptoms as well....almost never includes GI sympoms

The term "flu" gets tossed around a lot and used as a generic term for what is really a common cold....rhinovirus.

TRUE influenza....the disease that flu shots are exactly designed to protect people from....is a debilitating illness as anyone who has actually experienced the flu or treated patients with flu can attest.
I am sorry but I disagree with you, you can have the flu and not feel as bad as others. Just because one does not feel like they were run over by a mack truck does not mean you can say they don't have the flu. Since the poster in question didn't go into any detail about his symptoms it would be difficult for anyone to come to the determination as to whether they have the flu or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness